Found a leak in the PS rack .... Options?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
redmanfx
Car: 92 Q45a

.... on the passenger side. My Q leaks from where the boot on that side covers. It's a small leak, but a leak none the less. I'm looking for my options as this is the only leak I have left on my Q. Is there anyway to fix the leak or must I replace the whole rack? The boot is fine, but is there any kit to repair a PS leak on the rack itself? I'd rather repair then replace for now anyway. One resulting problem from the leak is that since pressure is released from the passanger side the car pulls ever so slightly to the left, ..away from the leak.

Any help?

red

PopPop
Car: 1990-91 infiniti Q45's, S13 Coupe, 3rd GEN. Max

Is it the inner boot side or outer boot side. The inner takes a large clamp and the outer takes a small clamp. Try a C.V. Clamp kit this should solve your problem if its just a leak. This route will not effect your alignment.

Jesda

If all else fails, try a bottle of Lucas transmission fix.

RobertsnewQ

If it is leaking, that means that more than just the boots is bad. The seals need to be replaced.

You may be able to find a local rebuilder who will reseal it.

PopPop

If the seals were bad wouldn't he get the power steering pump wine! If he gets that specific noise it's probably when fluid is low!

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

PopPop wrote: If the seals were bad wouldn't he get the power steering pump wine!
Your pump makes wine!? I want that option!

Seriously, what necessary connection is there between whine and a leaking seal if the fluid is full?

QShip

maxnix wrote:Your pump makes wine!? I want that option!

Seriously, what necessary connection is there between whine and a leaking seal if the fluid is full?
LOL! That was funny!

PopPop

That's my point that leaking boots don't necessary mean that seals are bad! Power steering pump makes a whining noise when low on fluid if air pockets form in system.

Jesda

maxnix wrote:Your pump makes wine!? I want that option!
LOL! The Jesus pump!

PopPop: Dont mean to get on your case for spelling, but it was funny.

jamesmost
Car: "95Qmodded, Benz wagon 4matic , 1986 MB 560sec

i let mine leak for at least a year before i replaced w/ a reman. rack ($250) would top off 1/8 cup per week. until it got loose.

RobertsnewQ

I'm doing the same thing. It oozes so slowly that I won't bother fixing it until the leak gets MUCH worse.

I have a local guy that will reseal a rack for $100 including parts, so when I want to do mine I'll bring him a good core.

Aus94Q45
Car: 1994 Q45

The boots simply cover the shaft to keep it clean as it moves during sterring. Thus, they are not really fluid seals. The seals are located at the end of the racks. Once they leak, usually as the boot have been bad for a while -- allowing dirt to screw up the seal -- the seals will have to be replaced or you can try some conditioner for a short term fix. Unless it is leaking bad, its not a emergency issue, but your garage floor will suffer the mess. Some one posted here not long ago that he replaced the seals with a kit (about $19). However, he was a certified mechanic and he said that it was challenging even for him. Thus, you are probably better off with a new rack, installed by your mechanic.

A new Infinity rack is big money. An after market rebuild is cheaper. However, it has been pointed out the the after market rebuilds do not include new gears and wear items, but simply a new set of $19 seals. It will have wear and tear on the steering parts.

Thus, you have to weigh how long you are keeping this car and how OEM you want your ride, to make a decision on what to spend and what to replace. At a minimum you will have to replace the boots and add a seal conditioner to the fluid. Or you will be deciding between a rebuilt or new rack.

Do a few searches on the sterring rack -- great information in the archives.

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

There is a steering rack seal kit available from Joe.

In the aftermarket, no distinction between faster ratio earlier t model racks and later slower ratios. I believe same is true for OEM.

EQwhipD
Car: 1994 Q45 (Totalled)/ 1994 Q45a (SOLD) / 1990 Z32TT

RedMan,I am doing liquidation of all extra Q parts since I am moving very soon. I have a complete steering rack from a 1994 Q45a w/ only 55,000 miles on it, that might fit your Q45. Just let me know if you want to buy it for cheap.

regards,[email protected]

redmanfx

RobertsnewQ wrote:If it is leaking, that means that more than just the boots is bad. The seals need to be replaced.

You may be able to find a local rebuilder who will reseal it.
It's just leaking a drop or two, but when it's on a lift it leaks more. It is the seal on the passenger side. I'll have to call Joe about this reseal kit. I don't have to put fluid in the PS but once every 3 months or so and it's not allot, so I think I'm still fine. Like I said it's not a bad leak and the drivers side doesn't leak yet.

Thanks all, red

redmanfx

EQwhipD wrote:RedMan,I am doing liquidation of all extra Q parts since I am moving very soon. I have a complete steering rack from a 1994 Q45a w/ only 55,000 miles on it, that might fit your Q45. Just let me know if you want to buy it for cheap.

regards,[email protected]
Hey sounds good. Let me see if it's the same rack or not. I'll e-mail you as well. I'm interested!

red

Aus94Q45
Car: 1994 Q45

Make sure that the cost to install the seal kit does not exceed the replacement rack. I understand the inexpensive seals are very time consuming and difficult to properly install.

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Aus94Q45 wrote:Make sure that the cost to install the seal kit does not exceed the replacement rack. I understand the inexpensive seals are very time consuming and difficult to properly install.
That is true. It is not a sandbox operation.

redmanfx

I can get this kit from Joe that contains 3 seals. It's $18.75 for NICO and it's highlighted in red. A brand new rack is around $986 bucks.

I called my foriegn import mechanic who does all work I don't and he does not have to tools needed to reseal my PS rack using the kit from Joe and I don't know anyone around who could do it. Once I find someone I'll post how much they want for doing it. finding someone you can trust doing a good job would be a concern for me. I imagine a shop with some type of press could do it.

According to Scottsdale the 92 Q45a rack is different from the 94 Q45a rack, so I can't use a 94. They changed sometime in 93. I'll try to find a good used one with no leaks as a back up.

red

BlackBirdVQ
Car: 93 G20, 94 Q45, 00 Altima, 01 Maxima- quite a few

I will be rebuilding my own rack shortly in the next month or so, if you don't get one I will try to provide some kinda write up on it. Don't expect a write up on my engine build up process.... cause I don't even remember what I did :P

I need to isolate my leaks thou, I am not 100% sure the rack was leaking- my valve covers where pissing so bad that I had oil all over the place... so my rack might be still OK, but I wouldn't count my chickens yet.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”