Forged rods or built head?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
WiddleyScudds
Car: '93 S13
'95 KA24DE

I bought a rebuild kit for my 95 KA24DE and i'm getting close to having all the parts to begin putting it back together. One thing the kit didn't come with is rods. I'm considering buying some forged rods for $208, and using brand new pistons. I was also thinking about building the head a bit, maybe springs. I was wondering which would be more beneficial at the moment? This is my very first build and I'm going to go with a comedic head gasket and head/main studs. I plan on boosting in the future, but only after its running.. Also! I didn't mark my valves, or caps, or springs when removing them... what does that mean? Am I completely screwed? What do the forged rods weigh compared to stock? They look beefier. Would I be able to go without a tune?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Build it to FSM spec and no tune is needed beyond setting your timing and idle. Get new rods, bearings and piston rings or pistons with rings if boring over. You'll relash, lap, seat, angle, whatever those valves right? I think you're okay to mix match them if you do. Tighter springs and lighter retainers would possibly raise your redline, but to use that, yes, new tune for the computer I think. Take better notes in the future. Photo log parts if you have to (I do this). Use masking tape with notes stuck to each part. Be organized basically. It will make your work much easier (especially when you realize it's taking longer than you thought and your memory starts to fade during the time between disassembly and assembly). Enjoy the project!

WiddleyScudds
Car: '93 S13
'95 KA24DE

I have factory FSM's downloaded to a flash drive, the same flash drive, actually, which contained a personal 4.2gb of video and photos of everything during the tear down, yea everything. It got deleted by accident. :werd: I have one FSM for the body (93) and the KA (95). I'd really love a hard copy but I can't find one. I have a hard copy, but its for an older KA.. think I could use it for torque specs? It has no rev limiter because of the swap. Bought the CXracing rods, i'm pretty organized for the most part, I have bags labeled and I just sprayed stuff with WD-40. I'm a noob, so I blasted & let my s*** rust a little but. I'm gonna polish the crank, soda blast the block, paint it and put the pistons in. I have APR rod bolts. Buying APR main & head studs. I also have new injectors. Kit came with bearings and rings for everything, no bore, the cylinders look okay. Engine has like 125,XXX but was rebuilt >5,000 I'm going to scuff (not resurface) the block surface but I don't know what to use? I'll post pictures when I get to it. :mike Right now i'm under the engine bay doing sway bar links, bushings, and steering stuff.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”