Forged Pistons - Jun? Trust? JE? Tomei?

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
JDM_1990_S13

hwatas the best piston fro the CA18, i got a quote for 625 from Top End Performance and was thinking of going with it.. but whats the best specs to et and is JE the best choice to make??

Surely TRUST and JUN have more experience with CA18 pistons? but the JE's are almost $300 cheaper.. movingviolation 240 what pistons and what spec piston are you running to give tou the 1900cc displacement??

Also what special specs should be looked at, normally i see that JUn and TRUST are flat top pistons, should we look at dished or does the Combustion chambers of the CA18 head go against that??

Also what about bore?? i have seem many 11 second Japanese CA18's suing the stock 83.5mm bore but i have also seen some big numbers 84 or even 85mm bore CA18's...

Also finally what about comp ratio 8:1 or 9:1 or some where imbetween, stock 8.5:1 or more aggressive 8.7:1?? with the level of tuning these days can more aggresive comp ratios be played with???

I am planning/thinking on getting the JE Forgies with a 8.7:1 Comp Ratio 84mm bore with flat top (just cause i don't know better) and total seal rings... i will aslo get the oil squirters machined in.. i am trying to organise a group buy from any dealer that we choose, but if i am by myself, i think it is the JE's for cost... but would liek to go with the TRUST or Tomei or soemthing...

advice, opinions and of course movingviolation240 your opinion is wanted here buddy..

thanks

Aaron B

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

I'm running CP pistons, 1mm over, and my compression is 8.2-1.

I toyed around with the idea of running more compression, but was swayed by my freind with the shop who's advice on a motor that small is was "run enough compression to get it going and then boost the **** out of it"

I'm not super low on my comp, but I did drop it a bit so I can run like 23lbs on pump gas and not have to worry too much.

PaulORlando, FL

JDM_1990_S13

what are CP pistons?? and how much were they and are any other specs to share???

280hp
Car: racing , women and sports

I am in for a group buy on some pistons. I think we should go with pauls though since the company should have all the specs and mold or what ever they use to make them.just let me know what ever you guys decide.

JDM_1990_S13

:ylsuper I'm for anything, i wanna get some fforged pistons soon...

paul_s13

I used JE pistons and a 8:1CR so far I've had no problems. :)

Movingviolation240

the CP pistons are 700 shipped, in either stock, or 1mm over sizes. They also include a kick @ss ring pack (motorcycle race rings) and wristpins, clips ect.

These things are better than the GREX IMHO, if you look at them they have far fewer sharp edges, and weigh less while having a thicker dome.

I could also get different comp ratio's if you want, just let me know.

later,

PaulOrlando, FL

JDM_1990_S13

WOW 700 shipped is steep! :eek:

I was looking at the JE piston from Top End Performance. $625

8.5:1 Comp, 84mm Dish Top, w/ total seal gapless rings. w/ stock piston oil squirter resivior cuts.

thats the best price so far... and if we get a group buy going we could get it cheaper. a friend of mine with a SR20DET jsut got Wiesco Pistons for $350 , but i heard that those are pretty weak (so i heard, not in my knoledge) but i have not heard back from them to know if they have a part number for the CA..

but the Cp seems to be the same price as the GREX or JUN.. hmmmm

Movingviolation240

Freinds don't let freinds run 'total seal' rings.

CP is a higher quality piston than JE,

My freind Rock went through 2 sets of JE pistons trying to get a set that fits right. Not to mention that when I called around JE said it would be 4-6 weeks, CP said 2 (since they have to be custom made).

anyhow, that's why I went with what I went with, even though they are more money....

PaulOrlando, FL

280hp
Car: racing , women and sports

i am in for a group buy and i like quality so if we can get some guys to step up to the plate and say they are in then we can try to negotiate with the company we choose.by the way dont say you are in if you cant come up with the money within a month

Movingviolation240

this is true.... if I could get 3 or 4 sets on order I could drop the price a bit, let's see how many we get and I'll make it happen.

PaulOrlando, FL

JDM_1990_S13

i have the cash, and i am itching to get them, so see whats the ebst yo can organise, i am organising a group guy on SXOC.com with a guy called Vega and others there, so far there are about 6 guys that want the pistons so where ever we can get the best deal with the best quality product, we'll take it..

and why you say you are against the idea of "total seal rings"?? do they not let enough blow by oil through??

thanks

Aaron

paul_s13

I was warned against Total Seal rings by Simon Norris (surprisingly the owner of Norris Designs :rolleyes ) he said not to touch them.

JDM_1990_S13

well thats three people that have sugested against it, so ithhink i'll follow the advice. anyone ever order pistons from http://www.raceeng.com they seem to have some good prices, and they supply JE pistons... i'll give em a email..

Movingviolation240

If you guys are doing a group buy on pistons, are they all going to be the same, or are half of you going to want 8.0-1 compression, and the other half 1mm oversized....

let me know and I'll get in touch with my manufactur and get a final price.

later,

Paul

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”