Force infiniti to act on the fuel pump failure

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
SnowNYC1
Car: 2006 M35x
2011 M56x

After noticing all the talk about the HPFP causing engine failure, I've decided to call my mechanic who's been fixing everything on my car that the dealership was able to f*** up since they did my timing chain recall (It was A LOT of stuff). I asked him if I have anything to really worry about in terms of my pump failing. He said that my motor is running strong, but now it's not a question of if it will fail but when will it fail. He told me that they (infiniti) should take responsibility about this and put out a recall. Which is why we have to get up and contact corporate. call and email them stating our concerns with the mechanical longevity of our cars due to a issue that they most likely knew about (the 2014 model years have a revised fuel pump) we gotta grab em by the balls and make them do the right thing guys!

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

I like your enthusiasm but the reality is you currently have a perfectly running car and short of tearing the motor apart to find any issues that may or may not be present you'd be hard pressed to prove your case. What evidence does your mechanic have to support his case for eminent failure of the fuel pump?

FYI - I have a failed 5.6 motor so I'm pulling for you.

R

SnowNYC1
2011 M56x

reggiebrown40 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:23 pm
I like your enthusiasm but the reality is you currently have a perfectly running car and short of tearing the motor apart to find any issues that may or may not be present you'd be hard pressed to prove your case. What evidence does your mechanic have to support his case for eminent failure of the fuel pump?

R
Well other than the fact that the service department double parked my car in a driving lane in front of their dealership and idled it for hours until they ran my tank dry, I did get a fuel pressure code a few days after that. Don't remember which one to be exact. I did notify the service department of the code that same day. What angers me is that these ***holes think they can just get away with it.... Hopefully my pump doesn't fail! *Knock on wood*

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

reggiebrown40 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:23 pm

R
I agree.

If and when mine goes out, I will contact Infiniti. I think for now, we need to document, document, document. If we can get a concrete list of the members on here or on the FB group who've had this issue, at what mileage, etc. we may have something else on our hands.

That being said, due to the talk on the FB group, I have purchased the 'lifter/basket' for $28 and will be installing it when I get it. Hoping this prevents me from having any issues.

SnowNYC1
2011 M56x

Ilya wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:40 pm

I agree.

If and when mine goes out, I will contact Infiniti. I think for now, we need to document, document, document. If we can get a concrete list of the members on here or on the FB group who've had this issue, at what mileage, etc. we may have something else on our hands.

That being said, due to the talk on the FB group, I have purchased the 'lifter/basket' for $28 and will be installing it when I get it. Hoping this prevents me from having any issues.
Can you send me a link to the lifter/basket that you bought? Might do the same just in case

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

SnowNYC1 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:12 pm
Ilya wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:40 pm

I agree.

Can you send me a link to the lifter/basket that you bought? Might do the same just in case
Yep, I got this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Nissan ... 2749.l2649

Basically...relieve fuel pressure, remove HPFP (haven't done it myself but seems pretty straight forward), pull the old one out (which is likely worn) and install new one and then re-install everything. I'll be doing a HowTo (hopefully, if I don't mess something up) when I do mine. Here is the FB conversation about what this does:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1008484 ... 818561528/

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Ilya wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:46 pm
Yep, I got this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Nissan ... 2749.l2649

Basically...relieve fuel pressure, remove HPFP (haven't done it myself but seems pretty straight forward), pull the old one out (which is likely worn) and install new one and then re-install everything. I'll be doing a HowTo (hopefully, if I don't mess something up) when I do mine. Here is the FB conversation about what this does:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1008484 ... 818561528/
I went ahead and ordered one too...seems like an easy DIY preventative maintenance item.

SnowNYC1
2011 M56x

armybrat wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:14 pm

I went ahead and ordered one too...seems like an easy DIY preventative maintenance item.
Apparently they replaced mine when they did my timing chain sooooo I have no idea whether I should replace mine now, this was around 2- 3 years ago

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

I'm thinking of just being proactive and replacing the HPFP when I get a chance in the spring.

I am also under the impression that the issue with the HPFP is mainly on the 2011 model year.

Good luck
Andy

EdBwoy

SnowNYC1 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:18 pm
Apparently they replaced mine when they did my timing chain sooooo I have no idea whether I should replace mine now, this was around 2- 3 years ago
A $30 gamble over the cost of an engine replacement. My cars have had the timing chain recall done, but I'm still planning to check...while there, might as well replace it.
I'll see if I can record when I do it next time.

Ilya

Yeah for $30 I'll swap it out, needed or not. I also had the TC recall done. If I get to it before Ed does, I'll do a proper HowTo (assuming I can actually do it).

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

SnowNYC1 wrote:
You are right; I had the oil jet/timing chain recall done back in 2016 at 60k miles. I looked at my old receipt and that lifter part was on there as being replaced. I have 110k miles now so I went ahead and ordered one anyway.

Ilya

armybrat wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:40 pm
SnowNYC1 wrote:
You are right; I had the oil jet/timing chain recall done back in 2016 at 60k miles. I looked at my old receipt and that lifter part was on there as being replaced. I have 110k miles now so I went ahead and ordered one anyway.
Funny you mentioned that. I just looked through my records (listed in this post as well) and you're right, looks like that part was changed for me as well. My TC recall was done on 6/13/2016 at 78,134 miles. Curious how it looks now after almost 50k additional miles. But at least this gives me a *little* peace of mind knowing it was done previously and the one I have doesn't have 124kmi on it.

EdBwoy

I just completed the task. I did it in one and a half hours, but that included a lot of extra time for video documentation.

I bet I can do it in half the time on my next one.
  • Four 10mm bolts
  • Two 12mm hex nuts
  • One 19mm compression nut
At 160k, my lifter valve looked OK. I will call the dealership for a copy of the records to see if it was replaced prior. As the car was not in my possession when the recall was done, I don't know too many details about it. All I did before purchase was to confirm that the recall was done.

As a side benefit, prior to today, my car would sometimes have a weird fluttering feel at take off. It would feel like I was bumping the rev limiter, yet I was nowhere near the limit.
That feeling has been cured! I did clean the gummed up HPFP spring and rotated it, maybe that helped. Otherwise, as stated above, the bucket looked just fine upon preliminary inspection.

With all that, I don't see how I could hold Infiniti responsible for anything that is yet to happen...at least not yet. Unless we can all dig through our timing chain recall records and note down the cars whose HPFP lifter valves were not replaced.
That's the only way I'd see a correlation. And I would not be surprised if owners who aren't usually attentive to their oil levels will see more damage on the lifter buckets they remove.

Ilya

EdBwoy wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:24 am
I just completed the task. I did it in one and a half hours, but that included a lot of extra time for video documentation.

• Four 10mm bolts
  • Two 12mm hex nuts
At 160k, my lifter valve looked OK. I will call the dealership for a copy of the records to see if it was replaced prior. As the car was not in my possession when the recall was done, I don't know too many details about it. All I did before purchase was to confirm that the recall was done.

As a side benefit, prior to today, my car would sometimes have a weird fluttering feel at take off. It would feel like I was bumping the rev limiter, yet I was nowhere near the limit.
That feeling has been cured! I did clean the gummed up HPFP spring and rotated it, maybe that helped. Otherwise, as stated above, the bucket looked just fine upon preliminary inspection.

With all that, I don't see how I could hold Infiniti responsible for anything that is yet to happen...at least not yet. Unless we can all dig through our timing chain recall records and note down the cars whose HPFP lifter valves were not replaced.
That's the only way I'd see a correlation. And I would not be surprised if owners who aren't usually attentive to their oil levels will see more damage on the lifter buckets they remove.
When you uploading the video? I need to watch this ASAP lol. I'll make a written HowTo. You and I should start a website...written HowTo's with a YouTube video at the bottom lol.

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

EdBwoy wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:24 am

• Four 10mm bolts
  • Two 12mm hex nuts

Replacement of the lifter valve, along with the timing chain and other related parts, was mandated by the voluntary service campaign that addressed the oil jet/timing chain issues for both the M56 and QX56 (part shown on page 10):

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 1-2280.pdf

Everyone who had this done by an authorized dealer should've received this part, but you never know, it's possible that some dealers might have short-cutted the job and either left some parts out, reused old fluids, etc. There were a few timing chain recall job horror stories posted a while back, like damage to the body and engine bay parts, scratched paint, missing fasteners, not cleaning the metal shavings from the timing chain cover, general cleanup of the work area (fingerprints, excess gasket sealant, etc.) It's very possible that a substandard recall job could've caused the lifter valve, HPFP and subsequent engine failures.

Other than that, I agree that it all goes back to improper oil maintenance...if not by the current owners, then by the previous owners.

madmanpauly
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56S

I've been following this issue and was preparing to remove the HPFP to check the lifter valve for damage or wear but I just called the dealership that performed the timing chain work and the lifter valve is listed as one of the replaced parts. Unless they completely left it out (which is possible) I think I'm good. That may be the first step for everyone to check with the dealership that did the work and see if that valve was replaced. Part number 13231-1MC5E. Thanks for the suggestion! That saved me a Saturday afternoon.

Ilya

madmanpauly wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:53 pm
I've been following this issue and was preparing to remove the HPFP to check the lifter valve for damage or wear but I just called the dealership that performed the timing chain work and the lifter valve is listed as one of the replaced parts. Unless they completely left it out (which is possible) I think I'm good. That may be the first step for everyone to check with the dealership that did the work and see if that valve was replaced. Part number 13231-1MC5E. Thanks for the suggestion! That saved me a Saturday afternoon.
For $30 and true peace of mind, I'm going to do mine anyway.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”