For those who have the HOTSHOT header

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
96_S14_SE
Car: 96 S14 SE - 05 VW GTI 1.8t - 89 S13 coupe "gold on brown"

I like the hotshot over the greddy yes. The greddy is nice looking but only replaces the stock cast manifold leaving the first cat. Also HS header has a nice long runner try-y (4 into 2 into 1) setup, and the greddy is still restrictive do to size constraints. I have also read that the greddy likes to crack.

There is supposidly a second gen greddy I heard about, but I know nothing about it or any release date. I liked this oner and got it and really didnt research anything after that :) This is a temp mod anyway, as soon as I got FI Ill get this header to fit on my gf's 92 :)

bruinbear714

Scott McLellan wrote:So would you consider the hotshot header the best for the 240 (S14) say compared to a Greddy or something?

I'm considering getting the hotshot headers, a random tech cat, and the apexi n1 duals with the silencers.

Scott McLellan

Thanks.I think I'll go with the Hotshot then.

eckerd boy

i should be getting my hotshot headers, n1 dual, and random technology cat put in at the end of the week some time so i can let anybody know if there are any problems with this setup.take care

eckerd boy

luis240sx

will I still be able to pass emmission tests if I buy the HS header? since apparently it eliminates my cat.

daniel240
Car: cars/motocross

i had a problem -w- the O2 sensor hole at the end of the hs header before it bolts on the 2nd cat. the whole was bigger than my stock O2 sensor threads. i found an old O2 sensor i had and if had the right size threads so i cut the threaded part off and welded it on my 02 sensor. this worked good. i dont know if anyone else has had this problem.

apzak

I have a 98 240sx manual. Is my second cat a dummy or real? How will a highflow cat differ? They look the same on the outside. Random tech and catco are the same, or what's better and why? IF the second cat is a real cat, I would gain horsepower if I install a highflow cat, right?

96_S14_SE
Car: 96 S14 SE - 05 VW GTI 1.8t - 89 S13 coupe "gold on brown"

97-98 have one sigle cat directly after the manifold and before the hollow shell.

ONLY 95-96 have 2 cats, and ONLY a very few of the 95-96's even have them.

From all my findinds it is an automatic tranny issue only. But if anyone with a 95-96 is wondering, just look under the car and look for a heatshield on where the second cat / dummy cat is. If it is just a rusty cast iron shell its hollow, but if there is a heatsheild bolted to it, or just has the two brackets welded on it (as if HS was removed or had been ripped off) its a secondary real cat...

cory2081
Car: '07 350Z

I'm getting a Nismo Header next week. I've been doing some searching trying to find out what it's going to sound like. I have a 96 240 with N1 single. My car must have 2 cats, the second one has a heat shield and isnt cast looking. Why doesnt someone make MIL eliminators like they do for newer Mustangs without cats?? It just fools the computer into thinking the cats are still there. Also, Project Silvia makes a test pipe that is resonated to replace the 2nd cat. that should eliminate any unwanted raspiness for those who have that problem.

Scott McLellan

How much is a Nismo header and where do you get them?

cory2081
Car: '07 350Z

Well, I got mine used. I think the hotshot and the Nismo are the same header.

jtsarnak

For those who have been running a header for several months now, have you had a problem with exhaust gaskets? I have had a Hotshot 3rd Gen on my '95 for about 6 months and the collector gaskets were fried. I can't find 2-bolt, 2.5" copper gaskets anywhere.

Also, did you find it is MUCH hotter under the hood now? I don't know if I should wrap them or not.

Finally, do you find you get some banging noise coming from right beneath your feet under hard acceleration in in lower gears? I was told this is the header tapping against the bell housing on my automatic tranny under heavy torque loads (i.e. hard accel in low gear). Anyone else experiencing this and have a solution, it's kind of alarming at times.

INDO

jtsarnak wrote: I can't find 2-bolt, 2.5" copper gaskets anywhere.

go to a auto parts store and buy RTV copper gasket maker, the one that is in the can. this stuff works great for making your own gaskets. i highly recomend it.

also, i am considering for a 95, HotShots Header, Test Pipe (possibly resonated to get ride of rasp) and/or Apexi Dual or custom set up. how loud is this and does it sound ricey/raspy?

bruinbear714

jtsarnak wrote:For those who have been running a header for several months now, have you had a problem with exhaust gaskets? I have had a Hotshot 3rd Gen on my '95 for about 6 months and the collector gaskets were fried. I can't find 2-bolt, 2.5" copper gaskets anywhere.

Also, did you find it is MUCH hotter under the hood now? I don't know if I should wrap them or not.

Finally, do you find you get some banging noise coming from right beneath your feet under hard acceleration in in lower gears? I was told this is the header tapping against the bell housing on my automatic tranny under heavy torque loads (i.e. hard accel in low gear). Anyone else experiencing this and have a solution, it's kind of alarming at times.

I've had my header on for over half a year now and I havn't had problems. Once in a while when I start the car the header will hit something near the tranny and cause a knock, but it doesn't do that under heavy acceleration or any other times. Under the hood temps are still the same here... it should be ceramic coated. Gaskets are still good. The only issue I have is that it doesn't bolt up to my dummy cat perfectly, as I had to double up on gaskets to make it fit and not leak.

twotirefryerwa

i have a header from a 240sx i just bought. it looks like the hotshot gen 2, but its a 4-1 style, with EGR, AIV, and o2. it also has a 3 bolt flanged pipe that replaces the first cat(92 se 5 sp)that is rusted to hell and i would like a new one. new to the 240sx game. any clues as to what header this is? no digi cam right now.

Dustin

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”