Follow up Q70 screen/Av- HELP!

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
haleakalag

Hi again. So my Q70 display failure story continues. Code reader didn’t show anything, as Controller has failed. So Nissan place will charge me $700 to remove radio, then refurbish unit for $1400 (after removed to see exact unit number), then another $700 for install. Insane. If I buy the part new, it’s $6000+. So I need big help here. Can anyone (VSTAR!!!) tell me the part number I need. I’ve talked to 2 different Infiniti dealerships, and gotten 2 different answers. My car is a 2017 3.7Rwd, premium. One shop felt certain the part is: 25915-3JA2C. But when I look at a part’s description, it doesn’t have my exact vehicle(close, but most are the 5liter, 3.7 premium+sporttec, 5.6L, etc.). HELP!!! I can’t confirm 3.7Rwd with only premium package. I’m asking because it is much quicker and cost effective to pickup a used one and only have to remove the unit once, then reinstall. Thanks all.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The 3JA2C sounds like a good bet, that's what InfinitiPartsDeal shows for the '17 Q70 Premium. However, the parts database isn't terribly trustworthy when it comes to AV Units, that's why the Nissan dealer wants to pop the unit and get the number off the sticker. Getting the wrong part can give you a headache from hell, so should probably do that yourself to make sure. Pics of the '17 and '15 centerstacks look pretty much identical, so you should be able to use the '15 FSM here in Nico as a guide:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 5%2Fip.pdf

Once you have the right p/n and know who the manufacturer is, I'd try contacting them directly to see about repairing your unit.

haleakalag

Thanks so much. Gary

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

haleakalag

Thanks again

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

Why don't you just follow the guide i gave you to take it out and look at it?

haleakalag

Today. Sorry, I’m not very good at repairs, and don’t have many tools. But I really appreciate your advice. I decided to buy a -3Ja2C Unit on EBay for $450, and will have my mechanic replace it for around $600. If that doesn’t work, my options are:1. Exchange for refurbished unit for $1400 thru Infiniti dealership on other island, then pay $700+ for install; 2. Buy new unit for $5-6000 (no chance); 3. Trade car in (most likely); 4. Drive as is with 1 radio channel, no Bluetooth. Today the backup camera sonar stopped making a sound, new issue, hopefully part of bad AV UNIT. Thanks again. Gary

Yoda's Master
2009 370z

I'd help you if we still had the super ferry.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

haleakalag wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:36 am
I decided to buy a -3Ja2C Unit on EBay for $450, and will have my mechanic replace it for around $600.
Just be aware that if some things don't work right, there's a good chance it's because of a mismatched configuration and not a bad unit. The Nissan dealer can run a "manual configuration" on it to fix that. I know a dealer visit sucks, but the chances of getting a used unit with the exact same configs as your existing unit aren't fabulous.

haleakalag

Yoda's Master wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:46 am
I'd help you if we still had the super ferry.
You’re in Hawaii???

haleakalag

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:07 am
haleakalag wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:36 am
I decided to buy a -3Ja2C Unit on EBay for $450, and will have my mechanic replace it for around $600.
Just be aware that if some things don't work right, there's a good chance it's because of a mismatched configuration and not a bad unit. The Nissan dealer can run a "manual configuration" on it to fix that. I know a dealer visit sucks, but the chances of getting a used unit with the exact same configs as your existing unit aren't fabulous.
Thanks. Good to know. I’ll definitely take it to the Nissan place if it boots up and looks like a reprogram will fix it. My mechanic said something about going Online and connecting to Infiniti, not sure that is applicable. I also found an AV control service bulletin which describes programming methods for various Infinitis, including 2015Q70, maybe applicable? Hoping for the best. On another note, now the backup camera doesn’t work for a minute after starting (like the AC control, and 1 radio channel), and the sonar has no sounds at all. Also the wiper fluid sensor light is now on all the time again (didn’t shut off for months until day the radio broke, now it’s back to needing replacement or cutting).
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/ ... 5-0001.pdf

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The reason for that bulletin is that nowadays, new and reman AV Units arrive in a "Factory Test" mode and won't work right until they're configured. You won't have that issue with a used unit. If your installer has the facilities to do configs (and assuming your existing unit is still alive on CAN), he can read the config parameters out of your existing unit before replacing it and then download them to the replacement. That's how it would be done in the dealership.

haleakalag

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:11 am
The reason for that bulletin is that nowadays, new and reman AV Units arrive in a "Factory Test" mode and won't work right until they're configured. You won't have that issue with a used unit. If your installer has the facilities to do configs (and assuming your existing unit is still alive on CAN), he can read the config parameters out of your existing unit before replacing it and then download them to the replacement. That's how it would be done in the dealership.
Oh oh, that may be a problem. The existing unit just does that very limited boot at 1 minute. I don’t think
it showed configs on the reader, but I’ll find out.

Yoda's Master
2009 370z

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:11 am
Does this apply to buying a used av hu also? gps didn't work on the used unit i bought.

haleakalag

Y. I hope the new module works as is. The last time the radio booted up (about 30 hrs of retrying ago) I did the self diagnosis and hit the Reset under AV COMMS. It showed a page with columns and no errors,and I thought I was just resetting the test findings, not actual settings. Since it hasn’t booted up, can’t tell what’s happening. I hope I didn’t erase settings we might need from the old one, if they can access them (as I said, my mechanic said it was some hardware issue and code reader couldn’t access it).

haleakalag

Another question: my sonar sound stopped working. Is this likely part of the AV control module failure? Seems weird the camera and sonar/sound worked independent of the other non-functioning controls for the past week until yesterday. Now delayed a minute, and no sound.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yoda's Master wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:18 am
Does this apply to buying a used av hu also? gps didn't work on the used unit i bought.
No, but if it was the type with an SD card then there might have been issues with that. Some SD's "mate" with the car and can't be transferred, and there are others where the card needs to match the "Q" number for the HU's operating system.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

haleakalag wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:45 pm
Y. I hope the new module works as is. The last time the radio booted up (about 30 hrs of retrying ago) I did the self diagnosis and hit the Reset under AV COMMS. It showed a page with columns and no errors,and I thought I was just resetting the test findings, not actual settings. Since it hasn’t booted up, can’t tell what’s happening. I hope I didn’t erase settings we might need from the old one, if they can access them (as I said, my mechanic said it was some hardware issue and code reader couldn’t access it).
Restoring the factory settings doesn't erase the configs, no worries about that.

haleakalag

Thanks again.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”