Foglight cover removal????

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
SuBXeRo

So i have plans to put LEDs into the foglight hold covers since at this time i am not getting any fogs. I was playing around with it today and the bottom snaps out but the top seems to be affixed with a screw. I opened the hood to see if i could get some topside access, but with nissans uber lack of space in the 2.5, i cant get a clear line to it without removing the battery etc. I know that there have been several fog light installs, and well, this questions is targeted at you guys since you all had to remove em.

Vital
Car: 2008 Super Black Altima

I don't know if there's easier way but i took bumper off. There's 1 screw (or bolt, not sure) holding that cover to the bumper. Just unscrew it. Very quick and easy.

SuBXeRo

yeah, def trying to avoid debumpering, ill have to screw around with itsome more and see if i can wedge my hand in there, i have a feeling that getting it mounted and back in will more of an issue

noshift
Car: 07 altima

maybe you could go through the wheel wells?

malnevets
Car: 07 Altima Majestic Blue

SuBXeRo wrote:yeah, def trying to avoid debumpering, ill have to screw around with itsome more and see if i can wedge my hand in there, i have a feeling that getting it mounted and back in will more of an issue
I usually am too lazy to take off the bumper so I take off the pins on the bottom and then unscrew the fogs from under the hood. It's really a hassle and takes 3x as long to remove the fogs.

I took off the bumper today, took me about 10 minutes, but i guess that's cause it wasn't my first time. Hardest part is actually taking out the pins, which you will need to do for under the car access to the car anyways.

scrutmonkey
Car: 08 Altima Hybrid

I tried posting the other night, but didn't log in...

Why cant you just remove the splash guard and go from the bottom?

5 pins in the front (large), then 6 pins that hold the 2 sides and the rear.

Pop the splash guard off, use a small ratchet to undo the top bolt holding the cover, pop the bottom, cover out.

This is the route I went. For the power of the LEDs you can route the wire up, remove the front grill, and route right by the bumper foam going from passenger side to drivers. There are also 2 bolts underneath by the fogs you can use as ground for the wiring.

malnevets

scrutmonkey wrote:I tried posting the other night, but didn't log in...

Why cant you just remove the splash guard and go from the bottom?

5 pins in the front (large), then 6 pins that hold the 2 sides and the rear.

Pop the splash guard off, use a small ratchet to undo the top bolt holding the cover, pop the bottom, cover out.

This is the route I went. For the power of the LEDs you can route the wire up, remove the front grill, and route right by the bumper foam going from passenger side to drivers. There are also 2 bolts underneath by the fogs you can use as ground for the wiring.
that's what I meant when I said go from under the hood, but I still think taking the bumper off would be eaiser to work since you have to do the wiring as well, however if you are not comfortable taking off the bumper, then you should just stick with going from under the car.

Hard part is putting the bumper back

scrutmonkey
Car: 08 Altima Hybrid

malnevets wrote:
that's what I meant when I said go from under the hood, but I still think taking the bumper off would be eaiser to work since you have to do the wiring as well, however if you are not comfortable taking off the bumper, then you should just stick with going from under the car.

Hard part is putting the bumper back
The "under the hood" part is where I thought you meant "top down." at least we are on the same page now.

OP: wiring shouldn't be an issue, your hardest part is probbaly getting the lead wire and power wire through the firewall to the dash if you are not prewired for fogs.

malnevets

scrutmonkey wrote:
The "under the hood" part is where I thought you meant "top down." at least we are on the same page now.

OP: wiring shouldn't be an issue, your hardest part is probbaly getting the lead wire and power wire through the firewall to the dash if you are not prewired for fogs.
That part was definitly a B****. When I did it, I didn't have a dremel and had to use a drill.. mAn what a pain.. I'm definitely picking up a dremel this week.

Vital
Car: 2008 Super Black Altima

FYI if fog cover is not the only thing on your altima-to-do-list then take bumper route. Might be a ***** the first time u do it, but gets waay easier second time. If u do have to-do list then chances are that u will have to remove bumper at least a few times in the future. Might as well start practicing now

I took mine about 10 times now and takes about 5 mins to do now + gives u lots of room to work with.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”