Fog lights!!!

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

I think I may have a solution to our missing fog lights!I bought a pair of "Lazer White H.I.D. Style" Driving Lights.They are pretty bright and the light doesn't have that obvious blue tint like some of the cheap-o lights have.See the pic below for visual details...Here's the issue:I want to use the factory wiring if possible to keep the clean look. I found the looms under the hood, and they have the plugs already on them.I looked under the dash, but can't seem to find the pigtail for the switch. There is a pigtail under there, but it isn't long enough to reach the blank on the dash where I assume the fog light switch would go, plus it's a single-wire plug, so I doubt it's the correct one.

Didn't I see a dealer on here somewhere? If so, could you get your service or parts guys to look up the exploded diagram or whatever might show the wiring system for the Fog lights? I understand that there aren't service manuals for this car yet, but there has to be some resource from Nissan to help the techs troubleshoot and install.

These look like they will work and look good. The lense is glass (nice) and is about 45mm across. The housing is basically round, which will make mounting and aligning that much easier. For reference, the "golfball" on the stock cover is about 80mm across, so these will fit inside the existing area.I'll do a full build-along if I get the wiring issue worked out.Please post any ideas, I'm kinda stumped at the moment.

The blue tint in the photo is mainly due to the flash, and is not really visible when the lights are on. I wired these up to test them and they look like regular yellow/white headlights, just smaller. The other stuff in the photo is the switch (duh) and the fuse block. That's pretty much all there is to this kit, other than some wire with connectors.

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Do you want them on any time the headlights are on? If so, tap a headlight power cable & run it to a relay though a low amp fuse (2.5-5 amp). Then run power from the battery through a fuse to the relay, then from the relay to the lights. Do not draw power for the lights from anything but the battery.

If you want them like daytime running lamps so they are on all the time, tap the 12V power outlet or its fuse and run a wire to a relay. Again with a low amp fuse. Do not tap any other system since Nissan has put voltage monitors on almost every other system.

If you want to use a switch, tap the 12V power outlet or its fuse and run a wire to the switch then to the relay.

If you are adventerous, hook the lights up to the prewiring. There is only one wire under the dash since all a switch does is complete a circuit. The other put of the "factory" switch is grounded to the same place as the headlight switch. Tap the 12V power outlet through a switch & to the wire you found. If it is for the fog lamp, they should turn on. But only if Nissan installed the relay. Find the fuse/relay box & see if there is fuse & relay for the fog laps. If there isn't you will need to install your own. If I'm wrong, your still under warranty

Good luck.

Elmojo

XterraVersa wrote:If you are adventerous, hook the lights up to the prewiring. There is only one wire under the dash since all a switch does is complete a circuit. The other put of the "factory" switch is grounded to the same place as the headlight switch. Tap the 12V power outlet through a switch & to the wire you found. If it is for the fog lamp, they should turn on. But only if Nissan installed the relay. Find the fuse/relay box & see if there is fuse & relay for the fog laps. If there isn't you will need to install your own. If I'm wrong, your still under warranty
I can do all of that, but I want to use the stock wiring. There is a fuse in the under-hood block that is labeled "FR Fog Lamps", it's 15A.I haven't found a relay labeled similarly, but then again, none of the relays are labeled, only the fuses! doh.

Anyway, I don't think that one-wire pigtail is the correct one, since it's not long enough, unless the other half of the switch from Nissan has a pigtail on it also and they meet in the middle, which I suppose is possible.That's why I was hoping to get a Nissan dealer or Tech on here to weigh in.

Thanks for the advice!

klacan
Car: 2008 Chevy Suburban LT
2007 Nissan Versa S

I know this is an old topic but has anyone gone ahead and installed aftermarket fogs as yet? I've seen the cheapy brands to the one you can find on ebay..I have no problem doing this myself but I'm looking for a nice fit and dependable FOG lights.Any advise? Also the OEM brand of fogs are they just rebadged from some other manufacturer? and if so anyone knows or seen em?

Althalus
Car: '07 Nissan Versa Hatch SL CVT

Just fyi, the manual says the fog light switch will be next to the headlight switch

BenzTech Gone Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8SL

I Picked up a pair of fog lights very simular to the one it that pic for 25 bux at the local auto store and im gonna use the wirring/switch from the aftermarket fog lights.the ones on ebay are the same quality but way too much $$. dont go for the led fogs eigther cuz they are dim *** heck!i just gotta carefully cut out the plastic piece.

Elmojo

Mine are still sitting in a pile behind my PC desk.I'm waiting until I can get some feedback from someone with more electrical knowledge than myself before I attempt the install.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

"Don't lick the red wire after it's been installed."

Elmojo

Hey, EV, that's good advice!I was planning on attaching the positive lead from my battery directly to the waistband on my underwear. A future upgrade may be aluminum mech longjohns like the astronauts use! At least I won't be cold in the winter or fall asleep on long trips!

Seriously, I really want to install these lights, but I'm afriad I'll either short something out and cause the dreaded electrical gremlin to pop up, or else the lights will work, but the install will be ugly.I'm thinking that there is probably all the wiring we need already installed, waiting for the Nissan kit to be plugged in. If we could get a schematic or diagram of the wiring for this portion of the system, it would likely become a clean and fairly easy install.

Any thoughts?

klacan
2007 Nissan Versa S

Just ordered the OEM fog light assembly kit from my dealer.Worked out to 148.00 taxes included.I'm going to get them to install it.Don't want to drill holes,ruin the interior or blow a fuse.Yes they do cost more than the Walmart specials but ya know I just spend 15 g on a car right?

BenzTech Gone Versa

which dealer did you get it at? i rather return my cheapo fogs and do the stock install.did they have a website?i was about to install the cheapo today....imma hold off now though.

BenzTech Gone Versa

I actually found them on ebay last month but i was not sure it would fit.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...&rd=1

klacan
2007 Nissan Versa S

check http://www.gregorisnissan.com Thats the dealers website. Out of Valley Stream NY. I was in the parts dept with the guy and he looked it up.Got the part number and everything for a 07 Nissan Versa original OEM fog light assembly. I can get the part number but the receipt is in the car.Will post it though if you need it.

BenzTech Gone Versa

I Hope They Are Open Monday.You Are A LifeSaver!!!I LOVE YOU, And Im Not To Far From The Dealer!woohoo.....

c5neb
Car: 2007 Fresh Powder Versa SL

klacan wrote:check http://www.gregorisnissan.com Thats the dealers website. Out of Valley Stream NY. I was in the parts dept with the guy and he looked it up.Got the part number and everything for a 07 Nissan Versa original OEM fog light assembly. I can get the part number but the receipt is in the car.Will post it though if you need it.
I can't wait for the response either.... real Nissan foggers!!

klacan
2007 Nissan Versa S

Okay where to start.I had ordered OEM fog lights from the dealer as stated in an earlier post. Went to the dealer this morning and guess what...its just the light. Not a kit.Just the lamp and guess what? just one lamp...so thats $148.00 per lamp. Basically they were just as confused. There is no kit for these fogs.Only replacemnt lamps that while nice are not worth $300.00 per pair. Also they didn't know if the harness is fitted to the car.There is a part number for the headlight control lever,switch whatever you wanna call it in the car.That lists for $79.00 Its has the fog light switch on it.Bascially its the SL headlight lever on the steering column.Either way these are only lamps.The blanks on the S model if removed do not allow for mounting these bulbs on anything and all you have left is a space.There is no housing to fit it onto.Seems like we'll just have to wait for the aftermarket to catch up. I'm not spending $400.00 for fogs when even the dealer/ parts dept. isn't to sure it might work.Enjoy...

BenzTech Gone Versa

i kept calling them too and i was told they did not come in yet.thanks for the info buddy.

MTLVersa

Hi everyone, first post here but got my versa a month ago.

Put some aftermarket fog on them about a week ago, im pretty satisfied of my installation because they look nearly stock.

I have drilled the center of the plastic cover with a hole saw that is the same diameter of the center of the cover and the lens of the fog are actually the same diameter as the hole.

After that i glued them in place with LOTS of silicon and did the wiring with a relay and a switch. When the parking lights are on, the fog relay is energized and i can turn them off with the switch if i want too.

THX !!!!

MTLVersa

heres one with the light off.

Elmojo

Hey, nice install!Could you maybe post a write-up or some pics of where you made the relay and switch connections?I was hoping to tap into the pre-wired harnesses for the OEM fogs, but I'm thinking that may not be realistic.If I can wire mine up like you described, I think I'll be happy.

Cheers!

Elmojo

BenzTech Gone Versa

Im in the middle of doing mine too.i cut out my holes bigger though.almost the size of the actual punch out circle diameter.too cold out here to do the install and plus i got a really bad back,takes me forever lately to do simple things....hopefully will post pix soon guys.

MTLVersa

heres basically my wiring,

12Vdc (from parking light) ----> Dash switch ----> relay coil ----> Ground

12Vdc (From battery) ----> fuse ----> relay switch ----> fog light ----> Ground

I have put the relay under the dash in the fuse compartement, i took the 12 Vdc for the relay from the dimmer switch nearby, and i have use the ground wire for the fog from the original connector that are taped nearby the opening inside the bumper. I passed the wire from the engine compartment to the inside at the main wiring of the car, theres a rubber boot that seal the opening around the wiring.

Ill try to take some pics if i have some time...

thx

Return to “Versa General Chat”