CHATROOM: 2015 (2nd gen) Fog Lights

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
andygold
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Black/Almond

Has anyone figured out a way to have the fog lights come on with the parking lights?

Last night I was driving home from one of my kid's sports games, and ended up in a snow storm. The SL's LED headlights, even though currently aimed a bit on the low side, were still way too bright for driving in blowing snow!!! I could barely see the road, let alone anything in front of me other than the empty school bus directly ahead that a friend was driving. If he wasn't there, I would have had to pull over and wait it out. I tried to put on the foglights and then turn off the headlights, hoping to have the fog lights on along with the parking lights, but the car is not wired that way. The current wiring makes the very dim, almost useless, foglights pretty much totally useless, since you can't use them in the fog or snow (since the super-bright headlights are on with the fogs). It seems that their only use is for annoying other drivers, as they cannot be used for their purported purpose, and they don't really provide any usable lighting in normal night-time driving!

In previous vehicles, when I installed fogs, I wired the relay for the fogs to get it's power from the parking lights, but that was with a total DIY system. Now, with the switch as part of the turn signal stalk, it's a bit different...

So, has anyone undertaken the job of rewiring the fogs to come on with the parking lights, and if so, can you provide the locations of either the wires you jumped, or the pin-outs themselves?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

you will need to rewire them, using a 4 pin bosch relay. i drew up a schematic. instead of the "LED LIGHT BAR" just use your fog lights

1. cut off the plugs from the rear of the foglight.
2. ground the negative wires coming out of the foglight
3. wire in the 4-pin bosch relay; using the sniped positive wire that originally would go to the foglight, wire it into the "switch"(pin86) positive into the relay.

OR
you can find the foglight relay under the hood, and pull out PIN86, and jump it to the parking lights

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

PS: head over to this chatroom, if you want to see some cool off-road style lights i and others have installed into our rogues.
followingnfront-imstricken-s-playroom-t584975.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD0YwKGp6-8[/youtube]

in my santa fe:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilWUwyLW-MA[/youtube]

andygold
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Black/Almond

You have terminal 86 going to a high beam lightbulb. Shouldn't it go to a parking light wire for the trigger? That's to energize the relay...but where then does my OEM column mounted fog light switch come into play?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

andygold wrote:You have terminal 86 going to a high beam lightbulb. Shouldn't it go to a parking light wire for the trigger? That's to energize the relay...but where then does my OEM column mounted fog light switch come into play?
yes, you 100% right. i pretty much re-created the problem you are tryng to avoid LOLOLOL. yes pin86 should go to the parking light wire as its trigger/switch

jumpin4abeat
Car: 2015 Rogue

I was curious if anyone has installed the factory fog lights using the wiring harness that is already run but by using a switch instead of the steering toggle? I wanted to use a switch instead so I could run just the fog lights without having to have my headlights on. I wanted to know if anyone has done this or if i should just run them like any aftermarket fog light. I have a 2015 incase some are curious. I know on the 1st gen with factory fogs you had to have the headlights on for that model as well.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

there will be no power in the stock harness, since your steering wheel combination switch doesnt have the foglight option installed. so using the stock harness is useless, and only serves to complicate your intended instillation.

do it right, and run a whole new harness, with your desired switch.

PS: we already have a foglight thread, for your year. i just merged your threads and renamed it

jumpin4abeat

5.56 wrote:there will be no power in the stock harness, since your steering wheel combination switch doesnt have the foglight option installed. so using the stock harness is useless, and only serves to complicate your intended instillation.

PS: we already have a foglight thread, for your year. i just merged your threads and renamed it
Between these two wiring kits, which would you choose to go with. I do plan on putting in hids eventually if that changes things.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K1N ... FL6KP7KNVP

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D1C ... GZSAEVCYKA

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

jumpin4abeat wrote:
5.56 wrote:there will be no power in the stock harness, since your steering wheel combination switch doesnt have the foglight option installed. so using the stock harness is useless, and only serves to complicate your intended instillation.

Between these two wiring kits, which would you choose to go with. I do plan on putting in hids eventually if that changes things.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K1N ... FL6KP7KNVP

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D1C ... GZSAEVCYKA
the fact that you are wanting to install HID's in the future holds no bearing upon the harness you are seeking for a foglight kit.

both the harnesses you posted are decent. both offer the same amperage relay's & fuses. they are mimicked after the Rigid Industries professional wiring harness: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NL ... 2XEBDFUBMU
I would go with the Rigid Industries, simply for the fact that i know that world-wide company has a name to uphold. that name stand for serious quality control, and good quality components. i have personally installed an Rigid 10" SR2 led light bar in my Santa Fe, and the harness was second to none. this is the light bar: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GY6 ... 6OQTNF62HR

since i already installed a wiring harness like this, i can offer you some advice:
1. get shrink tubing to protect all the connections: (you dont want exposed wires, or electrical tape failing)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LVF ... Q2GLKJX7SC

2. get a good quality heat gun for the heat shrink tubing: (these have millions of uses)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004 ... LJFHS7RPHR

3. get yourself a decent wire-terminal connector set: (this way if you run into issues, you correct them quickly & easily)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K7 ... T5QADE4VHM

optional stuff:
1. proper terminal crimper: i own this exact one, and love it. works great.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069T ... X56RCI5FW5

2. wire stripper: i own this exact one, and its the best tool for any wiring job
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OQ ... 43VR5Y7V3I

you can see the tools in this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ6O_uRg8VM[/youtube]

jumpin4abeat

Thanks for the tips, i didnt think about heat shrink tubing. I always use bell caps so I know they are not coming undone or grounding out. Do you know where a good place to come through the firewall is located on the 2015 rogue? I am having a hard time figuring out how to deassembly the dash components and was just thinking about coming through the accelerator pedal opening.

sjnissan2015

I have 2015 SL with factory fog lights. I believe it has halogen bulb. I want to match with the LED headlights. What's the best method. Do I just replace the existing bulb with LED bulbs costing $15 - $30 or do I need to get an LED Kit? Any recommendation? Thanks.
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised title

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Welcome to NICO!
I'm not sure if you can just swap in LED bulbs straight into halogen receivers, but honestly am not sure. My guess would be that you need a kit since the power draw is different.
I'll try to get you some more answers.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

If you just want to match the color, they probably make halogen bulbs close enough to the LED headlights.
If you find LED replacement bulbs for the foglights, they should swap right in I would think. Its not like a blinker where you need resistors or a different relay to make them work.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I think you should be able to swap them in... Light output will definitely be different because LEDs are far more directional than halogen. If you're not using them for lighting, or supplemental lighting - and just for appearance - LEDs should be fine. I've had decent luck with some, and others that burn out quickly. The ones advertised as 60W Cree on places like ebay are a crapshoot for sure. I've played with a lot of LED upgrades in the past, and they've come a long way - but it's still the wild west in terms of car parts.

Heath

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

personally i would swap in sky-blue halogen lights. this way they match, AND produce some form of light output upon the roads.

swordstool
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL

New owner here. Just purchased a 2016 Rogue SL. I'm looking to upgrade the fog lights to LED. Can I just replace the fog light bulbs with LED conversion kit bulbs? I see these on Amazon that look like the right bulb size for the fogs:

https://amzn.com/B01J6YGGZ8

Will this work, or am I missing something? My experience with light bulbs for cars is limited to replacing headlight bulbs. Also, will these fit with the added length and wire (shown in one of the Amazon photos)?
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. Merged with existing thread.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

frijolito
Car: Rogue (Xtrail) 2020 Advance

swordstool wrote:New owner here. Just purchased a 2016 Rogue SL. I'm looking to upgrade the fog lights to LED. Can I just replace the fog light bulbs with LED conversion kit bulbs? I see these on Amazon that look like the right bulb size for the fogs:

https://amzn.com/B01J6YGGZ8

Will this work, or am I missing something? My experience with light bulbs for cars is limited to replacing headlight bulbs. Also, will these fit with the added length and wire (shown in one of the Amazon photos)?
Welcome, as rouge one says, use the search, but I would say no they wont work as you need H11. Also COB LEDs are no way a bright as SMD so doubt they would be all that good.. have a trawl through this thread and make up your mind on what u see...

swordstool
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL

But the title of the product says that they are H11....

frijolito
Car: Rogue (Xtrail) 2020 Advance

Yeah, noticed that after, sorry.. was tired lol

burrpenick
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV
2012 Ford Focus
2015 Mustang 3.7 V6/ 300HP
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

I'm looking for an easy/simple method to power and have the ability to turn on/off a pair of LED strips- most likely mounted on/in the factory plastic 'plugs' for the original type fog lights. Thinking Id just run the hot side directly to the battery; was told that these draw a very low amount of power, so a relay is not necessary. Whats the best location in the firewall to run a wire inside to the lower dash in order to install a switch. Any and all suggestions are welcomed and needed!
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

burrpenick
2012 Ford Focus
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

Thanks!

burrpenick
2012 Ford Focus
1969 Plymouth Barracuda

Surely someone has run a wire thru the firewall on their Rogue, hoping someone can tell me the easiest location!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

burrpenick wrote:Surely someone has run a wire thru the firewall on their Rogue, hoping someone can tell me the easiest location!
We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum, and this is at least the second time I've suggested that you make use of it. Merged with existing thread.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------
ImStricken06 wrote:THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL NEW AND SEASONED USERS:
  • 1. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION: ODDS ARE, Every topic you can come up with, has already been discussed. Sorry, but your question doesn't deserve its own thread, if a thread has already been started. If the topic has not been discussed, then feel free to create a new thread...
If you fail to follow the above rules: you will be issued infraction points. Enough points, and you will be banned. We (mods) simply do not have enough time to handle the constant flow of bad forum etiquette. It's your job to follow the rules. It's your job to do your own research on here. It's your job to add and share here. It's the Mods job to tidy things up - not babysit.

A lot of already opened threads, can be found here: ROGUE DIY REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE, FAQ & INFO, TIPS, etc

Thank you for your understanding, patience, and commitment to making this place the best ROGUE forum on the net.

-ImStricken

misplaced2018
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue sv premium package

hi, new here so please bear with me. I just bought 2018 rogue sv with premium package, i just put in fog light kit from ebay . All is well except it says to tap into parking light power which i have no idea where to do that or what color wire. I temp hooked to a hot with key on wire and they turn on with switch that came with kit that mounted in dash nicely by other switches however i want to hook them up so they are only on with low beams using switch. Any help appreciated. Thanks Glenn

TheRogue
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

@Q451990 (or anyone that has a preferred brand) . . .

From the LED bulbs that you tried, what is a good brand to look at for LED fog light bulbs that are plug-and-play?

I have a 1st gen Rogue. This weekend I did a walkaround my vehicle and checked the lights and noticed the driver-side fog light is out. (Or at least not working. I'll eventually swap bulbs with the passenger-side to verify it is the bulb.)

I started looking for a replacement bulb and they are about $100 for a pair?

And as someone pointed out above, since they only come on when the driving lights are on, they aren't as effective as running separate fog lights.

So I am looking for a cheap solution to just get it lit up for looks.

I noticed the LED option. But when I started reading the description, one of them said . . . it may cause flickering. If that happens, contact the manufacturer and they'll help you sort it out. That doesn't leave a vote of confidence in my book. LOL.

I am really hoping that someone has gone down this road and knows exactly what brand works. :)

If I can't find a cheap solution, I'll not bother replacing the fog light bulb.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Take care. :)
TheRogue.

Return to “Rogue Forum”