Fob spoofing?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
MTNester
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35S sedan

I recently had some things disappear from inside my car, but there were no signs of forced entry and I'm pretty sure the car was locked. I'm wondering if people are now able to spoof the key fobs and get into these cars without the "key". My vehicle is a 2007 G35S sedan, one of the first of the new (for 2007 and beyond) model which then became the G37 with the same body style. My car was the first to my knowledge that had the proximity key fob tech. Since this is now ~14 year old technology, perhaps it's now vulnerable to hacking. I've seen on line that you can get a receiver to capture codes, which can then be used with a transmitter to access the vehicle, but that sure sounds like a lot of investment/work/effort to simply pilfer some things from out of a car. Is there an easier way?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The I-fobs are all supposed to use "rolling" encoding, so recording them with a garage door style system like Homelink won't do it. As far as I know, even the early ones are still impervious to simply walking up and starting the car. However, there are two separate systems inside the fob (actually 3, if you count the "emergency" inductive system underneath the logo). The short-range system that works the door requests and ignition is GHz band and is bulletproof to my understanding. The button system on the fob is FM in the garage door frequencies, even though it doesn't use garage door coding. Nevertheless, with the early fobs, I personally saw instances where a particular fob would pop the trunk or doors on another car. So the answer is, "Yes and no."

MTNester
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35S sedan

Interesting, thanks!

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

I think my car was opened this way in a retail parking deck. The security guard says a powerful code scanner can pick up the signal from more than 100 ft away even though it only works 20 ft from the car. To discourage this, never lock the car with the key fob or button on door when you park. Use the buttons on the door.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”