Flywheel locking tool

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
dj_boston
Car: 2005 G35

Hello- I am looking for a flywheel locking tool. I have to change the timing chain on my car, and the instructions say you need to use a special tool to be able to undo the main pulley/harmonic balancer. Does anyone have a good source?

Thanks

D

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Flywheel stops of various sized and shapes can be found at parts stores. Many people, myself included, tend to wedge a tool or nut and bolt in between the teeth and a bellhousing bolt. Some drill two holes in a plate and bolt that on. I've only done it on 240sx's, so maybe someone with a Z has specific advice or a photo to share.

Why do you need to change the chain? Those are pretty sturdy.

Welcome to NICO Club!

dj_boston

@centralcoaster33 I fed some rope into the cylinder to stop the crank from turning. The engine got a rattle and went down on power, and I believe it is the chain tensioner and guide. I bought the replacement kit and am just replacing everything I can. the chain is a wear item. I did check the valve lifter clearances and believe that is ruled out. the car is a high mileage 2005 car with 170+ k miles on it. I am finding the engine to be fascinating. have had continental airplane engines apart, and an mgb engine apart too, but this one is incredible. It is a lot more complex.

dj_boston

Just an update, it is the passenger side secondary timing chain tensioner that is shot. the chain is as loose as can be. I am just getting the 1st camshaft brackets off. they are stuck in there pretty well with sealant.

tjrob2000
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey sedan

Did you get this job done? I hope you heated the bolts on the cam brackets. They might be held on with red loctite.
I have a couple of brothers that broke a cam trying to loosen a pulley bolt because they didn't heat it and it was locked in with red loctite.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”