Fluids to flush.

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
elan
Car: BMW 328I, Had J30 95,

Hello again guys,

I want to ask you, gurus, the following question.

I got my J30 - 95 a couple of month ago with 85k miles on it and now it's undertaking quite some maintenance as this baby was not paid much attention to.

So far I have changed trans fluid, switched the motor oil to synthetic, changed the diff oil, changed the coolant.

What other fluids is worth changing ? (steering ? break ? , should I wait untill I have to replace the pads for the break ? )

Is there something else (not fluid related) worth replacing ?

Thanks alot for your time.

gr8scott72
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30t

Here's what I've done to mine in the last 6 months or so:

Tranny flushNew plugsnew tireschecked padsflushed brake fluidflushed coolantchanged rear dif fluidswitched to mobile 1 oilnew alternatornew batterytiming belt replacedpower steering fluid replaced (and 2 leaks fixed)sway bar (tension bar) bushings replaced

elan

Scott,

Thanks for your reply, I'm planning to replace the belt next year. I found out this weekend that my battery is 4 years old and replaced it as well alltogether with the terminals.

Where do I pour the stearing fluid ? Is this that small "can" on the passenger side on the strut tower, by the fuel filter and fuses ?

What did you put in there ? ATF ? As I remember Wes was saying in some of the posts ATF should be put in there. Wes am I confusing something ?

Scott, did you replace tha alternator just in case ? or it failed

Thanks
gr8scott72 wrote:Here's what I've done to mine in the last 6 months or so:

Tranny flushNew plugsnew tireschecked padsflushed brake fluidflushed coolantchanged rear dif fluidswitched to mobile 1 oilnew alternatornew batterytiming belt replacedpower steering fluid replaced (and 2 leaks fixed)sway bar (tension bar) bushings replaced

gr8scott72
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30t

elan wrote:Scott,

Thanks for your reply, I'm planning to replace the belt next year. I found out this weekend that my battery is 4 years old and replaced it as well alltogether with the terminals.

Where do I pour the stearing fluid ? Is this that small "can" on the passenger side on the strut tower, by the fuel filter and fuses ?
Yes
elan wrote:What did you put in there ? ATF ? As I remember Wes was saying in some of the posts ATF should be put in there. Wes am I confusing something ?
Power steeing fluid with some Lucas power steering treatment. I didn't really flush the power steering. I just had a leak for so long that all of the fluid for sure got replaced.
elan wrote:Scott, did you replace tha alternator just in case ? or it failed

Thanks
It failed and took the battery with it. lol

elan

Scott,

Thanks a lot. So it looks like it's good sometimes to have leaks, huh. At least you do not have to drain the fluid . I think I will do like someone recommended here - just to pump some fluid out of that can and put the fresh one. And then do the same thing again later.

Elisha
Car: Infiniti J30

are the bushings a straight forward job or is it something for a mechanic to do?

cause mine is worn out and i need to do it sometime soon.

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

If you buy the tension rod with new bushings its a 20 minute job .If you buy just the bushings you need a shop with a hydraulic press to get the old ones out and the new pressed in .Much cheaper if you have a shop nearby

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

FYI I would not add any additives to any of your fluids in exception of maybe the trans fluid, and even then DO NOT use LUCAS, it was found by many tests to actually make the fluid bubble easier.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”