Flaw in mechanism for convertible top...

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Danrc30
Car: 93 240SX convertible, 81 280ZX-T, 85 300ZX-T

There is a small pin that attaches to a link towards the front of the top that has a very weak weld with hardly any penetration. It was completely broken off on the drivers side, while the pass side was cracked all the way around the weld and was barely hanging on.

If you look at the pics, you'll see the hole right behind the cap nut in the middle of the first pic. The link still has the pin in it and its above the hole and hanging freely. This link makes the front of the top fold upwards when the top retracts. I suggest that everyone opens their top 1/2 way and check for weld failure.

It took me about 2-3 hours to fix from start to finish. Luckily I have a new tig welder. It's a tight spot and difficult to weld. The trick is if the pin is broken off completely, to weld it back on perpendicular to the mounting point. If its not, the plastic bushings won't go back on and fit inside the hole in the link properly.

Danrc30

2nd pic

Danrc30

I'm pointing to the weld with my dirty finger... lol!

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

there are quite a few of those pieces on the top that can break. I had one on the passenger side near the 3rd bow that broke out on me. My solution was a bit simpler since I can't weld. I took a cleavus pin, shaved the tip down so it would fit the angle of the bow, and held it in place with a cotter pin.

Danrc30

tenkawa_akito wrote:there are quite a few of those pieces on the top that can break. I had one on the passenger side near the 3rd bow that broke out on me. My solution was a bit simpler since I can't weld. I took a cleavus pin, shaved the tip down so it would fit the angle of the bow, and held it in place with a cotter pin.
Wow, that's great that your solution worked for you. In this circumstance, there really isn't room for that since the bracket for the weatherstripping is so close. I had to use my thinnest tungsten and I still couldn't get in to weld the entire thing. But it's pretty strong now! I used 316 stainless steel rod. :-)

---Dan

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

because of the angle of the weatherstripping, all I had to do was grind the tip of the clevus pin down at an angle so it would fit properly.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”