Flashing cruise control "Set" light.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Helium2
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

2010 Rogue SL AWD w/ 80K
Recently I tried to set the cruise control at highway speed and the "Set" light was blinking and I couldn't set the control.
I discovered that, if I turn off the ignition and then restart the car, I could set the cruise control...if I didn't wait more than a few minutes. Then the control worked as expected until I turned it off.
I've seen some ludicrous statements about the flashing light being some sort of engine overheating warning. :facepalm:
All readouts were normal and, excepting for the "Set" light, all behavior was normal.
A couple have mentioned replacing the steering wheel switch, but a few have said it didn't help.
I can't find any helpful information at all.
Anyone have good feedback?

Helium2

:sad:
It's looking like this site is dead.
Can anyone recommend an ACTIVE site for the Rogue?

mrsteve7
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue SV

Are you able to get your hands on an ODB2 diagnostic code reader? (AutoZone and others can help you with this)
You can get more information of the problem which may point you in the direction of the component to investigate.

Helium2

I'll see.
Thanks

rowlands57

Chances are an OBD II code reader won't find a 'system specific' issue. However, it's worth a shot to see if the free scan does turn up something. If that fails there is an app and an OBD II reader made by Carista that does dig deeper into the Nissan codes. I have used that app in the past to pull transmission specific codes from a 2012 Rogue and found it very helpful. It's not free but you can get a week's worth of use for just about $10 and in cases such as this I believe it's money well spent if it helps you get the issue resolved.

mrsteve7
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue SV

That's interesting because I have the Carista app for my VW CC and when we bought the 2013 Rogue I was looking for something to read the Nissan extended codes. On their website, it's shown to only have the capability to read basic codes (right up to the 2016 model), and not the Nissan-specific codes which they refer to as 'Dealer-level electronic diagnostics' I was hoping for.

https://caristaapp.com/vehicles/nissan/ ... y/2016/usa

mpattdu
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

Here is what the manual says. I would check coolant level and make sure you're not accidentally pushing another button when you turn on the cruise.

PRECAUTIONS ON CRUISE CONTROL
. If the cruise control system malfunctions, it will cancel automatically. The SET indicator on the vehicle information display will then blink to warn the driver.

. If the engine coolant temperature becomes excessively high, the cruise control system will cancel automatically.

. If the SET indicator on the vehicle information display blinks, turn the cruise control main switch off and have the system checked by a NISSAN dealer.

. The SET indicator on the vehicle information display may blink when the cruise control main switch is turned ON while pushing the ACCEL/RES, COAST/SET or CANCEL switch. To properly set the cruise control system, perform the following procedures.

Helium2

Yes.
I have read the manual.
Thank you.

mpattdu
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

Well, if you haven't come across anyone who was able to resolve a similar issue on this or another Nissan forum (I sure don't remember reading about anyone with this problem in my almost 10 years on this forum), then I suggest you take it to the dealer if the problem persists and you want it fixed.

Helium2

Yeah.
My wallet likes for me to avoid the dealer if possible, so that's at the bottom of my list.
I've found a number of people with nearly the same problem with different Nissans but not many Rogues.
The deal with power off/power on makes me think of an issue with the 'puter. :frown:
As soon as I can I'm going to see if I can bypass the brake pedal switch just to check that before I go any further.

jepaul2438
Car: Q50

Hi all. New to the forum. Purchased a 2014 Q50 (Premium version) not the fanciest but still nice. Only had 10K miles for a four year old car. Anyway, the issue is the flashing green cruise light. I can't find any information with a fix for this problem so I rolled up my sleeves and dug into this.

What I discovered is that the problem was only happening to one of the key fobs, which was curious and made me think it was related. When I start the car with my fob, all is good, but with the other there is a "Maintenance, Other" then it goes to the dash display and then within a few minutes the green cruise light begins to blink. What the heck is Maintenance Other? I had no idea that there were so many maintenance notifications! Being this was a used car all of the dates were 2014 and some of the notification were 1285 days over due.

I reset all of the maintenance data and the problem has resolved. Am I crazy? Hopefully someone has a little more knowledge that might be able to give me some affirmation that I have not gone completely insane.

Thanks! -- John

Helium2

Since you appear to have a different issue, you might be better served by creating a new post with your specific problem.
This site doesn't seem as active as it used to be so your chances of getting a useful response will probably be better with your new post.
Good luck! :)

jepaul2438

Helium2: Thanks for the suggestion. I in fact do have a flashing (or blinking) cruise set light. Cruise does not function when the light is doing it's thing but works great when it is not. It seems the maintenance reset and the fob switch was only a misguided dream. Did the issue ever get resolved for you?

Helium2

I haven't had the time to dig under the dash around my brake pedal. It's been too close to 100F+ for me to want to root around under there..
Occasionally I check my CC and it seems to work OK but other times it flashes.
I'll post here when I have something to post.

jepaul2438

Problem solved!! Initial computer codes indicated the ECM replacement. Did that last week after getting the same code, slim chance that was it nor were we going to get another $1800 part. After two days at the dealer service center, the technician and I agreed it was one of three things; the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel making faulty connection, the clock spring possibly faulty, or the brake control switch. The easiest to get to was the switch on the pedal. Changed it, problem gone.

RCH
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

This is an old problem (intermittent) with my 2016 Rogue.

The Cruise control cannot be set. When you turn on your Cruise control, the cruise control symbol in the dashboard is blinking yellow, instead of steady white. Pressing the Set button does not work and it will not hold or maintain the desired speed (above 40MPH). Normally, when you switch on the cruise control, the symbol is steady white (waiting for you to press the set button) and once you press the set button it will turn to steady yellow with the desired/set speed.

It is intermittent and the dealer cannot recreate the problem. No Code generated too. I showed them my video.

I am just sharing just in case someone has experienced this before.
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Merged with existing topic.
RCH wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:45 am
This is an old problem (intermittent) with my 2016 Rogue.

The Cruise control cannot be set. When you turn on your Cruise control, the cruise control symbol in the dashboard is blinking yellow, instead of steady white. Pressing the Set button does not work and it will not hold or maintain the desired speed (above 40MPH). Normally, when you switch on the cruise control, the symbol is steady white (waiting for you to press the set button) and once you press the set button it will turn to steady yellow with the desired/set speed.

It is intermittent and the dealer cannot recreate the problem. No Code generated too. I showed them my video.

I am just sharing just in case someone has experienced this before.
mpattdu wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:48 am
Here is what the manual says. I would check coolant level and make sure you're not accidentally pushing another button when you turn on the cruise.

PRECAUTIONS ON CRUISE CONTROL
. If the cruise control system malfunctions, it will cancel automatically. The SET indicator on the vehicle information display will then blink to warn the driver.

. If the engine coolant temperature becomes excessively high, the cruise control system will cancel automatically.

. If the SET indicator on the vehicle information display blinks, turn the cruise control main switch off and have the system checked by a NISSAN dealer.

. The SET indicator on the vehicle information display may blink when the cruise control main switch is turned ON while pushing the ACCEL/RES, COAST/SET or CANCEL switch. To properly set the cruise control system, perform the following procedures.
Screenshot_2020-09-10 Nissan Rogue Owners Manual Cruise control operations - Cruise control - Starting and driving.png
jepaul2438 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:45 am
Problem solved!! Initial computer codes indicated the ECM replacement. Did that last week after getting the same code, slim chance that was it nor were we going to get another $1800 part. After two days at the dealer service center, the technician and I agreed it was one of three things; the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel making faulty connection, the clock spring possibly faulty, or the brake control switch. The easiest to get to was the switch on the pedal. Changed it, problem gone.

Helium2

I jumped the connection to the brake control switch and nothing changed.
It has not been feasible for me to replace / bypass anything else at this time so the problem remains. :mad:

RCH
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

Helium2 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:43 pm
I jumped the connection to the brake control switch and nothing changed.
It has not been feasible for me to replace / bypass anything else at this time so the problem remains. :mad:
Thanks for the reply. It's not a big problem to me since it will be OK after turning OFF the ignition. Just like rebooting the system. It's just annoying sometimes when you are in the highway and then suddenly you turn on the cruise control and the problem is there again.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

As previously mentioned, it's probably one of three things:
1) The cruise control buttons on the steering wheel making faulty connection.
2) The clock spring possibly faulty.
3) The brake control switch.

1) Try using a quick-drying contact cleaner spray

2) What are the symptoms of a bad Air Bag Clock Spring?
Problems with the airbag clock spring occur when the wires inside the clock spring become fatigued over time and break. This can cause an open circuit or a short circuit in one or more of the systems connected by the clock spring. The horn, radio, CRUISE CONTROL, or any other component that is operated through the steering wheel may also stop working, or may work intermittently.

Clock springs are relatively inexpensive, running between $50 and $200 depending on the vehicle. Labor is fairly straightforward and should take 1-2 hours; expect to pay up to $300 in labor. If you attempt to replace the clock spring yourself, it is very important that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safely disabling the airbag. Failure to do so could lead to an airbag detonation that may cause serious injury or death.

3) How to Replace a Brake Light Switch

Return to “Rogue Forum”