Fixing up the s13

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
BrianZ32
Car: 93' 9 2+2 300zx

In attempt to fix up the s13, i want to make it run well. This car has much potential to still be a reliable daily (as reliable as it could be for its age) and i want to replace whats probably due for replacement. Things i've done so far, tuneup (plugs, oil, wires, filter), replaced the coolant tank because mine was cracked, found a used one on Facebook marketplace for cheap and i replaced all 3 belts. The CEL is on but i dont know why. I noticed a crack on the intake tubing, could that throw my check engine light? I've ran the ECU several times and i get code 55. One thing to point out was that I "smogged" the car and the guy told me it could be the EGR valve...i dont know if he was being accurate or just saying that. The CEL light used to go on and off when on the freeway. But now, it stays on these past 2 weeks. I believe i have a slight PS leak, i can see some in engine bay but no leaks on floor. I tried recharging the AC with R134, it seemed to blow a bit cooler, so it may just need more so it can blow cold, but after a while of running AC, the compressor makes some whining noise. Everything else runs great. For stock KAE, it pulls great (to me) so im assuming it id making good compression

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

What year ? It makes a difference. You just might need a freon plus lubricant re charge.

BrianZ32

MikeRL411 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:22 pm
What year ? It makes a difference. You just might need a freon plus lubricant re charge.
1989 Hatchback

Cone Killer
Car: 1991 240sx

You definitely started the right way with a good tune, what is weird is the CEL because code 55 on a Nissan OBD1 system means there’s nothing wrong.

After you pulled the trouble codes, did you reset that little “screw” on the ECM back to “normal”, I believe it needs to be turned back to the left ?

You said you had the car “smoked”, did you/they spot any leaks or was it okay ? Any type of vacuum or intake air leak can cause issues, so yeah, fix the crack you described. It sounds like it’s running well,though. If it were me, I would replace all the vacuum lines, and there’s a little “elbow” vacuum line going underneath the EGR that a lot of people don’t see.

If the AC needs refrigerant than it has a leak. You can keep putting r134a in it, though if your compressor is making noise it might be because the compressor has leaked out its oil, it’s jusy old, or the r134a is messing with it. Though I doubt you still have real r12 in system, if you do than, wow !

BrianZ32

Cone Killer wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:54 pm
You definitely started the right way with a good tune, what is weird is the CEL because code 55 on a Nissan OBD1 system means there’s nothing wrong.

After you pulled the trouble codes, did you reset that little “screw” on the ECM back to “normal”, I believe it needs to be turned back to the left ?

You said you had the car “smoked”, did you/they spot any leaks or was it okay ? Any type of vacuum or intake air leak can cause issues, so yeah, fix the crack you described. It sounds like it’s running well,though. If it were me, I would replace all the vacuum lines, and there’s a little “elbow” vacuum line going underneath the EGR that a lot of people don’t see.

If the AC needs refrigerant than it has a leak. You can keep putting r134a in it, though if your compressor is making noise it might be because the compressor has leaked out its oil, it’s jusy old, or the r134a is messing with it. Though I doubt you still have real r12 in system, if you do than, wow !
Thanks! And no i took my car to get smogged, no smoke test was performed. When running the codes, it is a little difficult because i think the ECU screw is a little messed up, it keeps turning and turning where it should stop after it reaches the end. Yes, vaccuum lines are what i was going to get next! The AC system was swapped from r12 to r134 by prev owner as he stated. I don't exactly know how to test for leaks myself without taking it to a shop. Do you think the compressor might need replacing? Or should i just try to fill it more? I put SOME in, not the entire can so maybe i should try it. Thanks ahead of time

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”