Fixed rattle at startup on my 2009 Rogue.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Ok, So I was oblivious to the knocking sound that lasted between 2-3 seconds at startup.

More like 4 quick consecutive knocks until it went away after turning my ignition on.

I was unaware of this until I observed myself on our security camera system and heard my engine on the video.

Seriously, I was not too happy about it. Actually, i thought it was normal.

But after viewing security footage every once in awhile, the knocking sound kept bothering me.

Anyways, I finally figured out it was because i've been using the bigger version of the Fram Ultra filter. Because of really good reviews I loved using it lately.

I really wanted this filter to be my Go To filter but not if my Rogue has a rattle at every startup.

After research and vaguely remembering info on it possibly being oil filter related.

I checked a dozen forums for a solution to my dilemma.

They said motorcraft and mopar filters usually solved the problem but those were usually used on vehicles like Ford & Jeep.

Also came across that Mobil and Napa filters would fixed the problem.

I went with the shorter version of the Mobil filter.

My thinking is the smaller the filter the faster the pressure to spread the oil perhaps?
I'm no expert just guessing. Sounded like there was no oil in the upper part of the engine where the lifters were for a few seconds. Seriously, i'm clueless.

Don't know if the longer version of the Fram was the reason I got those knocking sounds either.

Anyways, i am sure the small oem Nissan filters would work too.

Fortunately, the rattle is now gone after unknowingly using the bigger fram oil filters 3-4 times. :tisk:

Maybe I might try the longer version of the mobil.
Who cares about more surface area for cleaning, i prefer no rattle which is better in my mind.

All that matters, is that this set-up works! Perhaps, i should have used the oem size from the beginning.

Take my advice all new rogue owners out there, instead of doing what i have for a decade with my rogue. Find a filter that does not create startup rattle.

Actually i dont know if this happened the many years I used the longer version of the Bosch Distance Plus since i never really listened to my startup.

Thank god it was not some hydraulic lifter or timing chain tensioner issue.
Or maybe the oil filter drain- back check valve not acting right. Not really sure of the reasons.

But now i know which filter to use. :laugh:

macgiver

Very interesting Casper , I have tried using alternative - longer filters in most of my vehicles to. Yeah the anti-drainback feature IS supposed to be THE THING here but I remember looking at some AC filters vs others in A-zone , timekilli'n , and noticed that the other thing at bottom of some of the different brands (direct crossovers I believe) didn't seem to have - BYPASS valve ? Which I know is completely separate function .Some had it some didn't - same cross Part appl.?? Devil's in the details ,huh.
These are the little things I learn every day - Thanks - keep having FUN :chuckle:

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Update:

So I started the rogue in the morning, and there was a rattle but not as pronounced as before.

This time it was twice as fast but lower in volume by a half.

So not as bad as before.

Unlike previously, it would happen after every start of the ignition, even if I started the rogue one minute later.

Now the knock is usually 99% gone the rest of the day. It may be quiet in beginning and I might get a barely perceptible 1 knock being the anal ocd that I am.

But technically the knocks are gone after the initial start in the morning.

I really think it’s normal for these engines to have these sounds when considering the history of these Nissan cvt’s.

On a scale of 1-10, I would give it an 8 in reduction of the rattle sound.

Not a 10 because of the mornings.

And subtract another point because of hearing maybe 1 knock if I really scrutinize the sound.

It was easier to hear on the security video.

But would hardly be heard while in the car with the window open. Barely perceptible where you really had to listen for it.

In a closed cabin, it would not exist in your world.
Heck, for the past decade in never really existed, if anything it was really a normal startup to me.

Only on video, the sound bothered me. Go figure.

Improvement went from a D- to a B+.

I’m in the middle now, I kinda believe either way it does not matter and the engine is not being damaged.

Yeah I had a little rattle but my rogue is 10 years going strong.

Also 10 years of using the bigger version of the filter has really been good to me obviously. So I am still all for it.

In the end, I believe my original 10 yr. old transmission will bite me in the a$$.

So I am not too worried about a slight rattle anymore given the bigger picture with the cvt imploding someday.

Just had to experiment. :whistle:

Return to “Rogue Forum”