Fixed Gear Bikes?

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

I have an old 1970's Fuji road race bicycle (VALite tubing) that I'm working on turning into a fixed gear.

It came with some pretty nice shxt on it, NJS Nitto stem/bars, nice seatpost, cool old Fuji saddle, etc.

Anyone else into this stuff?

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

<---wants a 24" BMX cruiser.

Urabus GodofTraction
Car: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2004 SV650, 1988 Land Cruiser, 1994 XR600R

Man, fixies get you MAD hipster poon.

I swear, it's an aphrodisiac to those girls.

That said, I like to coast. Call me a *****, but it's nice to stop pedaling every now and then.

HashiriyaS14

charlieo wrote:Man, fixies get you MAD hipster poon.

I swear, it's an aphrodisiac to those girls.

That said, I like to coast. Call me a *****, but it's nice to stop pedaling every now and then.
Haha, I think the "hipster poon" effect is limited to certain cities and DC probably isn't one of them, not that my married *** cares either way.

I just want one to do unicycle-like wackiness on it, and because they're just fun to ride and have a cool minimalist look about them.

It helps that I don't really HAVE to ride it anywhere, I'm just going to tool around my development on it and occasionally throw it in my car and take somewhere as secondary transportation (like to the track to go between flagging stations, etc).

I will also be running with no brakes, so I'll probably be dead in a week.

OldmanPurdy
Car: 2002 Altima 3.5SE

Just curious why all the bike messangers in places like SF ride fixed gear and no brakes? is there an advantage or is it just the afore mentioned "hipster poon" effect

HashiriyaS14

OldmanPurdy wrote:Just curious why all the bike messangers in places like SF ride fixed gear and no brakes? is there an advantage or is it just the afore mentioned "hipster poon" effect
Well, I guess it's lighter and they ride all day and thus they value that.

I think a big part of it is just being able to say that you ride brakeless though.

For my flat-ground messing around I'll ride brakeless, just so it forces me to learn how to skid-stop, but you can bet your a$$ that if I was a messenger in SF (or really any other major city, even if less hilly), I'd definitely be running brakes.

Would you believe my bike is STILL NOT DONE?!? It's a biyatch to build one of these things without a bike stand. Getting the chainline straight is tough.

Tulsa_S-13
Car: 1991 SR 240sx

RESURRECTED!

Sorry, I had to. I just got my fixie done. I'll be running a front brake considering I live in a college town with dumbass drivers.

Centurion Cavaletto lugged frame, powdercoated blackEighthinch Amelia 700c wheelsetEighthinch crankset 46/16TBrooks B17 SaddleBontrager pedals/straps

Fun stuff. I've gotten so many comments on this in the past week. I need to start building another

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

If I can keep the gear on it from unwinding, the P.K. Ripper will be a fixxy.

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

Honestly, I just see this fixie thing as a fad. It makes no sense to not be able to coast down a hill. But around East Atlanta, a fixie will certainly get ya laid.

I got a 1973 Schwinn Le Tour last May. 62cm frame, threw some used 700 wheels on it and a set of BMX bars. It looks awesome.

We have a great bike coop here where you can bring your bike to work on, get help from others, and buy used parts for cheap. Its called Sopo and I volunteer there.

Nice bike, Tulsa! Digging the bull horns!

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

hannibal wrote:Honestly, I just see this fixie thing as a fad.
It's a fad with the hipsters and casual riders. When I was riding I used to ride a fixie a few weeks every spring to round out my pedal stroke after spending all winter long on a trainer. Come April & May you could always tell who didn't ride one because they'd be pedaling squares when everyone who rode fixed was smooth and fluid.

It will always be a part of roadie culture, for the hipsters it's a fad.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

My motivator is I'm a pretentious ***hole with a death wish.

Razi
Car: Moo

Tulsa, how do you like having the brake lever where it is now?I have a brake lever like the one in the picture below and I feel like it might be uncomfortable since I'm so used to being able to brake in all hand positions. But I need to give the brake lever back to my old Schwinn road bike and buy one for my current Univega bike.I'm not sure what kind of lever I should get, or where to mount it.

Tulsa_S-13
Car: 1991 SR 240sx

hannibal wrote:Honestly, I just see this fixie thing as a fad. It makes no sense to not be able to coast down a hill. But around East Atlanta, a fixie will certainly get ya laid.

Nice bike, Tulsa! Digging the bull horns!
Thanks!

I guess the fixie thing is a fad for people that are trying to be hipsters, but that doesn't apply to everyone that has a fixed gear. I've been commuting by bicycle here at OSU for 3 years now. The fixed gear is less maintenance, smoother, and quicker than the hybrids I had been using. Not to mention the control and road feedback that fixed gears provide.
Razi wrote:Tulsa, how do you like having the brake lever where it is now?
I like it. The placement of the handle works well with how I naturally place my hands on the bars when nearing an intersection or crowded area. I actually had those same brakes. If you're on a budget I'd probably just stick with them for awhile.

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

You guys are correct. Its only a fad with the hipsters. I could not figure out the purpose of a fixed gear, But training use seems like a good reason for something that has few positives IMO.

What do you mean by hybrids?

Razi
Car: Moo

Hybrids are basically road bikes with fat tires.

I agree with Tulsa, I'm enjoying the smoothness and control of a fixed gear, so I don't know how soon I'll go back to a bike that can coast.

My friend got rid of all his rusty gear related things and went fixed gear.I tried it out and I liked it so I converted my old Schwinn.I got tired of the heavy frame in a few months and bought a Univega frame and swapped my wheels over to it and changed my Schwinn back into a bike with gears.

Here is my ghetto bike.The crank came with the frame, seats and a few other things came from Wal-mart and Craigslist and the local bike shop.

Fun bike on the cheap.
Modified by Razi at 4:34 PM 2/20/2010

Return to “The Great Outdoors”