Fix for '95 Altima (?) - Front Engine Crossmember Anchor Rusted

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
HobbyWrench
Car: 1994 Quest GXE, 1995 Altima GXE

Hi All - I'm new here and this is very first post.

I have a '95 Altima GXE w/Automatic. Living in the 'Rust Belt' (in Chicagoland), I've just noticed a fair amount of rust near the 2 anchor bolts where the front of the engine crossmember (holding the engine mounts) is located - underneath the radiator.

I'm concerned that a little bit more rust is going to fully eat this away, and I'll have the engine/trans drop down in the front of the car.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a recommended fix? I can do some 'shade tree engineering' and/or take it to a shop for welding, if necessary.

Thanks!

joshboogie

So is the cross member rusted out or where it bolts to the chassis? The engine won't fall out of the car either. There is an engine and tranny mount holding it in from up top as well.

HobbyWrench
Car: 1994 Quest GXE, 1995 Altima GXE

Thanks. Sorry for the late reply. It was actually rusted where it bolts on the chassis crossmember, under the A/C radiator.

You're right - it won't fall very far. I jacked up the front of the engine crossmember, removed the mounting bolts, and slowly dropped it. It only fell about 2-3 inches.

I fixed it via a long piece of large angle iron, drilled new holes and used hardened bolts attached to the engine crossmember. There was just enough clearance between the top of the bolts and the bottom of the A/C radiator - but it is in solid now!

(I had to remove the main radiator, and move the bottom of the A/C radiator forward.)

Mike

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”