Fix for 1990-1993 Q45 Climate Controller Found!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Well, I think I have finally found the "fix" for the blank display issues that have plagued the 90-93 Q45 Climate controllers! Here's a little history first.

The climate controller in my first Q never failed. Not a flicker, even once. The one on my second (current) Q failed back in 2005. First I spent about $50 ordering one out of a '93 from a junk yard - hoping that it would be of an updated design. It was bad. Then I tried all kinds of things to fix mine myself, including replacing the big capacitors on the board, with the idea that they might be leaking like the ones on the Bose amps. I also tried reheating every solder joint on the board. Neither fix worked and I sent it off to Jerry Tucker with a check for $100. That controller had a separate issue that I now believe was more related to not being plugged in firmly - but was pretty much unreliable. Also, I may have messed something up when I tried reheating all of the solder joints. Anyhow, Jerry was gracious enough to fix my '93 junkyard unit at no charge which I left in Q1 when I sold her after the wreck. So I'm still running the original, never replaced controller that came from my old Q. It has over 240K miles in service and is almost 20 years old.

So I decided to start picking up spares off of eBay, and more recently from the local Pull-A-Part junk yard. I got very excited when I pulled one out of a '91 or '92 with a part number that ended in 60U06 or 60U08 (couldn't tell since the part number might be smeared a little) - thinking that it might be a very recently replaced one and good - but it was a dud too. So with 8 spares on hand, only one other than the one out of my old Q worked consistently.

Then last week I had a brain storm and started bench testing them with a 12V power supply instead of in the car. I looked and looked at the one that Jerry Tucker fixed vs. one of my spares, trying to find any identifying mark on a part that differed - for a clue of what he was replacing - but everything matched perfectly. As a last resort I hooked a controller up to the power supply that had a completely dead display, misted areas with freeze spray - and narrowed it down to the bad part! It's a tiny surface mount capacitor on the main board that, when sprayed with freeze spray always makes the display come back! Depending on the controller, it "fixes" the display for a few seconds or several hours before blacking out again. Capacitors are notoriously temperature sensitive when they fail.

Here's a picture of the board with the bad capacitor marked.

I checked my always reliable controller, and the one spare that always worked - and found that there's a reason that those two were different. The factory had tacked on a ceramic disc style capacitor instead of the SMD surface mount one.

Here's a picture of the good one from my first Q with it's factory mounted ceramic disc capacitor instead of the SMD cap.

I am positive that it was done at the factory, since the controller from my old Q has the original 60U00 part number, I have service records dating all the way back to the day the car was put into service, and that Q had a bumper to bumper warranty in effect when I bought it - I know that no one would have paid out of pocket to replace it or repair the controller outside of the warranty.

So here's the deal - I'm going to tell everyone my "fix" (which I put in quotes since we don't have a track record of it being a permanent fix) and make an offer to those members that don't want to try their hand and soldering tiny components themselves. First the fix:

I removed the disc capacitor from my good spare and found that it's a 180pf cap. I didn't have a voltage rating, so I ordered some that are probably mega overkill. 180pf rated to 1000V with a 5% variance. A cap rated to 50V is probably more than sufficient, but the cost difference was minimal. I ordered the caps from Mouser (p/n 81-DEA1X3A181JA2B) They're a little larger than the one the factory used - but still fit in the case just fine.

Here's a picture of one of the boards with it's new capacitor installed.

I have one board that's a different design - but the cap is in basically the same location, labeled C44. Here's a zoomed picture of it:

After I fixed all of my spares, I bench tested each of them with a 12V power supply. Each one worked for at least 24 hours. Here's a picture of my test setup:

I haven't done it yet, but in the very near future, I will check them to make sure they function in the car.

So here's the offer part. I don't drive my Q enough to test them for a length of time to know that this fix really works. I would need to drive more than I do (sometimes the Q doesn't see the road more than one day a week) - and it would take quite a while. I won't really consider one fixed until it works in a variety of temperatures for a few months. So I would like to sell off four of my spares for $60 each to members. This price includes shipping to members in the continental United States. For members in Canada or other parts of the world, we'll work something out, but you'll have to pay for any additional shipping. This will give us a test group, and the cost is less than having it repaired, or trying a few eBay or junkyard spares to find one that might work. In my experience you have about a 10% chance of getting a good one. I would even be willing to refund $15 to anyone that ships their old one back to me as a core - so we're talking $45 for one of my repaired controllers! This plan serves three purposes for me... First, I clear out some of my spare parts stash and recover some of the cost of buying them. The second purpose is to get these "fixed" units in NICO member's cars - so that we'll know if my repair actually works! The third benefit is that more of us will have a working display on the Q, and one less reason for someone to decide to ditch their car!

As a disclaimer, these are used controllers. The bulbs that light up the buttons are mostly burned out. There are worn letters or graphics on a few of the buttons. If yours is in better condition, or you have working bulbs, feel free to swap them out before you send your core back to me (if you send it back). There is no warranty on these - so if you want a guarantee - send yours to Jerry Tucker. I think he'll guarantee it for a year. Although I think this is the fix, I don't know for sure. In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a trained electronics expert, but my dad was, and that's where I learned how to solder and do some limited troubleshooting. Basically, I know just enough to be dangerous. If I screwed up something in a controller that causes some sort of damage to your car - you agree that I'm not liable. I'm confident enough to plug these into my car and will only send out ones that operate correctly for me - but there is no guarantee for any length of time. In summary these units will have passed two tests - the display working for at least 24 hours on my kitchen table hooked to a power supply, and they will have worked in my Q idling in the driveway though a self-test.

Thanks for reading what's probably one of the longest posts in NICO history! I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on all of this.

Heath

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

Yep, sure looks like you may have found the problem!

If they still work immediately after being hit with freeze spray and after being hit with a hot air dryer, chances are pretty good that they'll work at any temperature in between those two extremes.

Way to sleuth, dewd!

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

after 19 years of this super annoying problem, seems like we finally got this figured out.. Good work heath!!!!

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Update...

I tested 6 of them in the car today, and all but one of them works. For some reason one of them won't read the ambient temperature sensor correctly. It's right during step 5 of the self test, but during operation it always shows -20F.

One is sold, I'm keeping two - so that leaves three available.

Thanks!

Heath

frenetic
Car: 1993 240sx Coupe

You're the man. Just picked up an extra sensor from the junkyard today because of this same problem. I'll try the fix myself now, good tip.

frenetic

Just did one myself. I'll try it in the Q tomorrow and see if it lights up! Thanks again.

Modified by frenetic at 12:20 AM 10/4/2009

goody90q45
Car: 1992 Q45 (sold)

Heath- Congratulations on solving one of the great mysteries of the Q45.My controller has been repaired by Jerry Tucker and I'll check to see if his fix matches yours when I remove the it in the next couple of days to replace a burned out bulb.

Q451990

frenetic wrote:Just did one myself. I'll try it in the Q tomorrow and see if it lights up! Thanks again.
Hard to tell from the pic, but those long leads make me nervous... I would be afraid of them shorting to something else on the board. But if you're smart enough to solder, I'm sure you're smart enough to make sure that doesn't happen. Let us know how it works!
goody94q45 wrote:My controller has been repaired by Jerry Tucker and I'll check to see if his fix matches yours when I remove the it in the next couple of days to replace a burned out bulb.
I had one repaired by JT several years ago and couldn't find anything on the board that looked different from the others. My guess is that he's using the properly sized surface mount capacitor instead of the disc style to prevent people from easily seeing how he's fixing them and copycating him.

Heath

BCC93QT
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45

Would ya look at this, hes got 5 of the units up there lol. I have the same problem in my new body. In the first car i never had this issue at all up to 136k on the 93. The new body is a 92 and just a couple days ago mine permanently went i think. I saw like 6 red lines evenly spaced across the screen when i turned it on and it showed up brighter than ive seen it before. Now it hasnt shown a thing in days.

Q451990

I've seen the red lines before, but that's not the typical failure mode... especially the "brighter than I've seen it before" part. Usually it just fades to black, and you can bring it back sometimes with a whack to the top of the dash...

I wonder if the red lines are a sign of the actual display failing? I had a dim one out of a '93 that had the lines and a really dim display once...

Heath

Rex
Car: None

I wonder if this would "fix" the dead display from my 94/95 Q's ... I'll have to check the shelf in the garage to see if I still have it.

Nice work, Heath

Q451990

The 94-96 climate controller is a totally different design. The display/buttons are separated from the control circuitry and connected through a wiring subharness. I'm not sure why they changed to this design - maybe it protects some components from the heat-producing - or maybe they just needed the area behind the control head for something else.

I don't think I've ever heard of a dead display on a 1994 or later Q, so your failure is very rare...

Heath

frenetic

Q451990 wrote:Hard to tell from the pic, but those long leads make me nervous... I would be afraid of them shorting to something else on the board. But if you're smart enough to solder, I'm sure you're smart enough to make sure that doesn't happen. Let us know how it works!
Yea I would do it differently if I did it again. I threw some electrical tape around it because that concerned me as well. It had plenty of clearance in the plastic housing but you never know, gets hot and the solder sags and I short the whole thing, better safe than sorry. I used the 1000v like you did just because, got some weird looks at the store. Screw it! Going to hook it up now and see if it works.

EDIT: It works but I won't get any driving time in the car until it's fixed, hopefully this weekend.
Modified by frenetic at 3:44 PM 10/1/2009

Q451990

Frentic,

I just noticed that the capacitor you used is an 18pf instead of the 180pf that the factory used (and I copied). I have no idea if this is critical.

The markings on these parts is a little confusing. From my research, all of these small ceramic disc caps are rated in pf. The first two digits are the first two numbers of the rating - and the third tells the number of zeros that follow. So a 180pf cap would be marked 181. A 1800pf would be marked 182.

Again, I have no idea if this has any impact on how well the circuit functions.

Heath
Modified by Q451990 at 1:28 PM 10/4/2009

frenetic

hmmmmm uh oh. It worked when I tried it. That's a mistake the electronic place made then, my paper says 180pf and that's what I showed them. I guess we'll see what happens, at least I got a back up unit

Picture resized.

Q451990

Well, like I said, I have no idea if it matters or not. I know how to copy what the factory did - but I don't know enough about the theory behind it to do much more than that. We might be discussing something as insignificant as an alternator that charges at 14.001 vs. one that charges at 14.002V.

Heath

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

Today was a great day! I received a package in the mail that was surprising. It was a small box with Nissan written all over it. I was wondering what it could be until I read the label. It was the Climate Controller that Heath sent me. The packaging was better than factory and I must say he takes a certain level or pride in what he does. He even put a label on the unit too. Well.....it works!! I'm so happy to see the screen lit up again. Timing was perfect because we already have snow.

I wanted to take this opportunity to say that Heath helped me out in more than one way and I really appreciate it. Thank you Heath for everything .

Q451990

Glad to see you got it!

Heath

TBrack
Car: none

I got one for sale from my Q if anyone is interested btw.

Q451990

The '95 controller will not work in the 90-93, and also did not have the display issues.

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

Sorry about going off topic:

The 1994-1996 Q45 HVAC display along with control unit will work in a 1990-1993 Q45 with some wiring modifications.

(The 1994-1996 Q45 have a separate display and control unit unlike the 1990-1993 Q45 which was one piece).

Matt1979 provided me with this information because he did this modification.

Q451990

I suppose if you had both modules and the wiring harness that goes between the two... and modified the mounting holes on the support behind the dash. I know the newer controller won't mount there as-is.

From reviewing the '94 FSM the pin-outs are not the same, and the wiring between the control module and display is integrated into another wiring harness, so you're looking at substantial rewiring to get this to work - without any real benefit.

Heath
Modified by Q451990 at 1:19 PM 11/12/2009

mxr662
Car: 1990 Q45 Desert Sand 81k Sold

Heath,

What pins do you apply power to. I'm sure it's in the FSM, but I thought I would double check. I have a bad one I'd like to fix and a good one with the factory cap that I will replace.

Andy

shanec86
Car: 86' HR31 Skyline Passage GT, 89' JDM Q45a

glad i came across this thread, i have found myself a 180pf cap to have a go. hopefully this is the cause

Q451990

mxr662 wrote:Heath,

What pins do you apply power to. I'm sure it's in the FSM, but I thought I would double check. I have a bad one I'd like to fix and a good one with the factory cap that I will replace.

Andy
On the 20 pin connector I'm hooking pins 1, 2, and 18 as labeled in the FSM on page HA-93 to 12VDC. They are the yellow, brown, and green wires on your pigtail (assuming you have one with your spare). The black wire on pin 8 goes to ground.

Honestly, if I were just repairing one, I would just replace the cap and put it back in the car to test it. I only went to the trouble of bench testing them since I had so many and wanted to test them for an extended period of time out of the car.

Please let us know how it works!

Heath

Q451990

shanec86 wrote:glad i came across this thread, i have found myself a 180pf cap to have a go. hopefully this is the cause
It'll be interesting to see if the boards are the same in the JDM controllers... I know you guys have some extra buttons, so what I have posted may not look like what you'll find when you open yours up. If it looks different, please post some detailed pictures of the main board in the controller and I'll see if I can help.

Please let us know how it all works out!

Heath

mxr662
Car: 1990 Q45 Desert Sand 81k Sold

Fixed two of these a couple weeks ago. Nice having display working again. Thanks for the help!!!!!

Q451990

:bigthumb:

OwnerCS

Heath - Great post and very helpful. I just received a 60006 from a junkyard as the display on my 91 has an intermittent display problem. This one was sold as working. I would like to just swap units to determine if this recently purchased unit is fully operational.

When I first saw the unit I thought I could just unplug the two connectors from the unit. I’m having some incredible difficulty removing the connectors. Here are two pictures below.

Also, I would like to get the unit that is presently in the car repaired as I know it works properly.

Can you tell me what I need to do to remove the connector plugs? It really seems odd the plugs cannot be removed after I push in the tabs.

All suggestions are welcome. :-)

:

Q451990

Those connectors can be a real pain. I use a common-head screw driver to push the tab down and then twist it a bit to dislodge them. There's nothing special about these connectors, so pushing in the tab and pulling should work - it's just very common for them to be stuck.

Good luck!

Heath

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”