First Post - Welcome to the Music Room.

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

Hey guys, welcome to the Music Room. We have graciously been offered this space to discuss topics related to creating music of all types (except 240sx-themed rap songs, please put those in gen chat).

Post up what you play, your gear, etc...

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

I make sick beats: zerothread/249350

dickie

d!ck wrote:
...(except 240sx-themed rap songs, please put those in gen chat).
Dammit, man! OBEY THE RULES!

stopatnothing
Car: Scooty Puff Jr. and NEW! Scooty Puff Sr.

Electric: Jackson SLSMG Soloist with some badas$ seymour duncan pickupsAmp: Peavey 5150 half-stack, groove tube replacements, various crap for noice cancellation and nonsense

Acoustic: Beautiful Takamine made with Koa wood and the greatest fret action of any acoustic ever made

anyone else?

*EDIT: Also I have a Gibson Les Paul Voodoo that weighs about a trillion pounds but has the most brutal sound of any guitar ive ever heard.

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

i sing and play. i'll explain more later. time to leave work.

redtop91

I play the piano. I have a neato Schafer and Sons upright. It is a really relaxing hobby.

Tulsa_S-13
Car: 1991 SR 240sx

redtop91 wrote:I play the piano. I have a neato Schafer and Sons upright. It is a really relaxing hobby.
Ryon I had no clue you played piano!

I actually own a 1936 Steinway upright that I inherited from my grandmother.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Does karaoke count in here? =P

dickie

sure. you got vids?

redtop91

Tulsa_S-13 wrote:
Ryon I had no clue you played piano!
It's because I'm black huh?
Tulsa_S-13 wrote:
I actually own a 1936 Steinway upright that I inherited from my grandmother.
I bet it sounds awesome!

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I plead the 5th...

BOOMSHAKALAKA

I used to play the trumpet back in middle school.

Wish I never stopped playing...

Somebody I'll get back into that, along with learning how to play the drums and electric guitar.

KC240SR
Car: 92 coupe w/ blacktop SR

I play guitar and drums

Equipment:Guitars: Ibanez RG7321 (EMG pickups), Ibanez S470, Kramer Focus 3000, Alvarez acoustic, Fender Standard Telecaster.

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier (black diamondplate) Mesa "oversized" Rectifier 4x12 cab. Randall RH200 w/ Peavey 5150 4x12.

Drum set up:Pearl 5-piece with Iron Cobra double bass pedals, 16" Zildjian A series crash, 17" Zildjian A series crash, 15" Zildjian A Custom fast crash, 16" Zildjian china, 20" Zildjian A series ride, 14" Zildjian A Custom mastersound hi-hats, 10" Sabian XS20 splash, and an assortment of other Zildjians that I don't use.

Music was my first love, now i'm on to cars.

SeVa-S13
Car: '05 GTO 6spd

Matte Finish Dean cheapo and a Peavey "Backstage" practice amp. I suck really bad and have been for quite some time, and will probly continue sucking for a while still.

cmfireman
Car: '96 Nissan S14 SE

Oscar-Schmidt Delta King semi-hollowbodyWashburn Mercury Series electricWashburn D-100 Acoustic30th Anniv. ESP LTD electric with 85/81 EMG's

I'm really not that good, I just think guitars look cool on my wall instead of pictures.

I've been playing around with open-G tuning and a slide on the Delta King, mostly metal/rock on the ESP, and I can pick some bluegrass and chill stuff on the acoustic.

I'd like to learn how to record without spending a lot of money, but I can't sing so that sucks.

xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

Thank God!

Guitars: Jackson RX10-D (Randy Rhoads style), 22 jumbo frets, installed a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge position. I have some DR strings on it right now but I might switch soon. Locking Floyd Rose bridge/trem.

I have an old acoustic Yamaha FG-140. My dad bought it circa '73, and even though its a lot harder to play on that other acoustics, it still has a nice warm sound even though its beat up. No pics of that ATM.

Amp: Stone 25w practice amp, will get a halfstack soon since I will be gigging.

jh3xp
Car: 1992 240sx SE Coupe

C-Kwik wrote:I plead the 5th...
you spelled it wrong.... its i plead the "Fif"

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Sweet. I've got a Fender Hss Strat blue body maple fretboard.

krazydriver
Car: 2002 civic ex, 1993 KA-T 240sx - parting it out...

i like the idea of the music room.

I play piano and guitar, in that order.Took piano lessons for a looongggg time(9 years). Used to be really good. unfortunately college and the real world caught up with me and i haven't really played in 4 years.

Really wish i hadn't had to stop. I loved playing the piano, i could play anything.... oh well. to top it off i still have the piano. just no time.Really nice steinway player grand.

That and i got a cheap acoustic guitar i mess with every now and then. Not really any good with that.

95_240
Car: 1995 240sx

I have an Ibanez SCA220 that has been in pieces for about a year because I'm very easily distracted. I plan on putting it back together whenever I stop being lazy.

I used to buy a different guitar about once or twice a year then I kind of moved on to cars. I'm trying to get back into it but its hard starting from scratch when you have to buy back stuff you pawned.

P.S. Does anyone know which wizard neck will fit on an SCA220.

JackIrish
Car: Restored 1986 300zx / 1992 KA 240sx Project

Sweet a music section!Well i pretty much can't go without music for big amounts of time, and im constantly tapping my feet!

I play the drums and guitardrums = Pro Percussion set with Camber/Sabian/Paiste cymbals!guitar = Yamaha electric, Estaban acoustic and i usually steal my Father's Ibanez Artcore electric/acoustic or his Yamaha acousticMust show a picture of the Artcore!Basically that exactly minus the whammy bar...SO NICE.

stopatnothing
Car: Scooty Puff Jr. and NEW! Scooty Puff Sr.

cmfireman wrote:Oscar-Schmidt Delta King semi-hollowbodyWashburn Mercury Series electricWashburn D-100 Acoustic30th Anniv. ESP LTD electric with 85/81 EMG's

I'm really not that good, I just think guitars look cool on my wall instead of pictures.

I've been playing around with open-G tuning and a slide on the Delta King, mostly metal/rock on the ESP, and I can pick some bluegrass and chill stuff on the acoustic.

I'd like to learn how to record without spending a lot of money, but I can't sing so that sucks.
Really like those ESPs, almost picked up that exact one a few months back

SketchyRollin564
Car: SR hatchback in the werks

if it counts, i used to play

dickie

okay my setup is as follows (in chronological order):

=axes=

1. peavey predator Euro edition - 2x unknown pickups i swapped in from a parts bin, and the original humbucker. Been beating on it since i was a kid

2. Takamine EG series electric/acoustic - mint, graduation present.

3. Ibanez PF - work in progress. "custom" finish, cheapo project.

4. Epiphone AJ - freebie from guitar center. EofDM guitar.

5. Gibson LP Smartwood - cancharana in new condition. drop-c'd, sounded good when i had an amp to play through.

=amps=

2x busted *** peavey practice amps, both fell apart on me and now i have nothing to play through. i was borrowing a nice marshall, but i had to give it up still looking for something that wont break me or rape my car budget.

redtop91

d!ck, in the NICO black view, the music room isn't listed in the forums on the right side. I dunno if I'm the only person that uses this view but I thought I should mention it.

dickie

i think its a known issue. i noticed it too though

xekushnr

d!ck wrote:=amps=

2x busted *** peavey practice amps, both fell apart on me and now i have nothing to play through. i was borrowing a nice marshall, but i had to give it up still looking for something that wont break me or rape my car budget.
My practice amp has a short. I guess you get what you pay for, not only in sound quality and power output, but durability as well. Well, I guess durability is a bad word, since that implies that it actually resists failing when used. And it just sits there. Its more like a bad connection than a short, because when it acts up and I hit it (and hurt my hand in the process), it returns to normal. I cant get a halfstack quick enough.

dickie

the boards in mine both failed the same way, the connections broke and attempts to re-solder them failed miserably.

xekushnr

d!ck wrote:the boards in mine both failed the same way, the connections broke and attempts to re-solder them failed miserably.
Looks like I'm using a ****ton of electrical tape then. It's the only amp I have for the time being so I cant risk letting it die.

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

gosh, seems like a lot of guitars and drums and piano lessons...

instruments:i started in 5th grade with the trombone. played through middle school and half-way through high school. along the way i picked up tuba, baritone, and trumpet. i can make noise and stumble my way through scales on pretty much any wind instrument - clarinet, flute, sax, etc.

anyways, my high school lost the band program due to lack of experienced/qualified teacher/director. i occasionally would play in a brass ensemble at church.

when i went to college i tried the pep band for about 3 weeks and hated it. i haven't really played my trombone much since then. i play the tuba every week at church now.

singing:i started singing in junior high choir in 6th grade. being a "mature" young man, i sang "bass" ... yeah... anyways, as i got into high school, my voice got deeper, but my upper range grew way more. so i started singing tenor. i joined my church choir about the same time i went into high school. the choir directors told me i should take some voice lessons, so i did for about a year until i realized it was a waste of time and money. i sang lead tenor all through high school with the choir and in special groups.

my junior year i went to a "youth outreach program" with the saginaw choral society - a volunteer, auditioned community choir with ~100 members. they're all really great singers. after the concert, i was asked to sing in the last concert of the season and then asked to audition for the following year. which i did and i sang the full season my senior year.

so then i went to college. i had no clue about anything musical. i found out about the university singers - the elite choral group of ohio northern university. of course, you had to audition. after the audition, they tell you that you'll be on tour during fall and spring break... uh, thanks, but no thanks. so i joined the men's chorus instead.

winter quarter of my freshman year i got a phone call from the director of the university singers (also directed men's chorus) and he practically begged me to join singers because they lost a few tenors. [i don't say this to pat myself on the back or anything, i just thought it was funny] so i agreed and went to florida on tour for spring break. the singing was great - probably the most fun i've ever had singing however, the people... well, just imagine the people who would be in "an elite singing group" at a university... most of the guys were limp-wristed (if you catch my drift), and even more of the girls were drama queens - i couldn't handle it.

so i just sang with the men's chorus for four years at college. my freshman year was the first year it was started. it was tons of fun. we had a great group of voices and the concerts were always phenomenal. we got so big and so good that we started touring my junior year.

when i was done with college i went back to church choir and the saginaw choral society. i only sang in one concert and then decided i didn't have the time to commit to that sort of thing. so for now, i just sing at church in the choir, a quartet, and other special music.

others:my high school bought a few octaves of hand chimes my junior year so i played in the chime choir and ensemble the last two years in high school. those things are a lot of fun and i've been trying to get my church choir director (who also happens to be my father-in-law) to put a chime choir together at church. hopefully that'll happen in the next couple years.

lastly, i've ALWAYS loved playing drums - ever since i was a little kid. when i first got into band at school, i wanted to play drums. i ended up playing the trombone instead - which, in hind-sight, worked out a lot better. But any chance i get, i'll beat the drums. i did play the timpanis (sp) in high school a couple times, but that's the extent of any sort of performance.

i recently "inhereted" a beat up set of drums from my younger brother. they need a full set of skins and a set of cybals. right now they're just sitting in my shop. hopefully i'll be able to get them reskinned and pick up some brass for them so i can get on them. it'll just be for liesure unless someone i know wants to start a rock band or something...

wow, so that's my musical life story. hopefully it wasn't too boring. as you can see, i love music. i think it's a great stress reliever and a great escape from the burdens of life. if i wasn't so in to cars, i'd probably be a little more into music. cars are my first passion. music is another way i keep sane.

Return to “The Music Room”