First post here-1995 Infiniti J30 Misaligned pulleys -belts

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Thrundar
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

Greetings all from Mississippi USA.
We just purchased a 1995 Infiniti J30 for well under $1000. That's the "good" news. Following is the bad news.
Miles: about 170,000

The crankshaft pulley seems to be about 1/4 inch too far in toward the engine block. All of the belts are way out of line. The only history I have on the car is supposedly the water pump was replaced about a year ago.
I'm wondering if a washer/spacer was not put back in at some point between the crankshaft pulley / harmonic balancer and the sprocket and that could be the cause of the misaligned belts/pulleys.

Here is an image of the problem:Image
Or for a larger image view the middle image at the top of this page: http://some-of-creation.weebly.com/1995-infiniti.html

I do have spacers on order from an Infiniti dealer.

The offset is so bad that the alternator bracket is throwing sparks from rubbing on the crankshaft pulley / harmonic balancer.

Also have transmission problems which I'll make another separate post about.
T

jdurrty
Car: j30

From the picture you posted, it looks like the belt is not aligned correctly on the alternator. With it being a relatively new looking alternator, my guess is that whoever installed it did not line the belt up correctly when installing it. This would make more sense than the crankshaft pulley moving (to me at least).

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

On my 94 there is no spacer behind the crank pulley.
Only a thick washer in front for the crank bolt.
And if the Pulley did move forward you would loose the oil pump function.
I agree with J.
Something else is Off.

Thrundar

To the 2 first replies above. As I first stated, ALL of the pulleys/belts are off, not just the alternator. This is the 3.0 engine.

If no spacer is on your engine (assuming it's a 3.0) then why does a spacer (Timing belt plate to be accurate.) in front of the crankshaft sprocket show up here below? How on earth would that interfere with an oil pump?

I appreciate the time taken to reply, but this is not an alternator put on wrong. Not when it is all belts/pulleys out of line with the crankshaft, as I first stated.

I have not put a wrench to the crankshaft yet. So I have no idea what the crankshaft pulley looks like when off the engine. Is it possible whoever worked on this before, put the crankshaft pulley on backwards?!?!

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Now that I see the picture I do recall that plate.
It has the notch in it for the woodruff key.
My apology's.
Old age Thang' :)
The pulley wouldn't seat if it was backwards.

Thrundar

yodawill2000 wrote:Now that I see the picture I do recall that plate.
It has the notch in it for the woodruff key.
My apology's.
Old age Thang' :)
The pulley wouldn't seat if it was backwards.
Oh, that old age thang happens to the best of us. :chuckle:

I'll be taking some of the engine apart this weekend and see what's going on there. I'll photo journal it. Sadly we got this car in hopes it would be cheap basic transportation since our 97 Ford Ranger blew a head gasket. There simply ain't no "cheap" beaters that run and sell for under $1000 any more. To top it all off....no repair manuals to speak of (Haynes) for this particular car. Thankfully I found the FSM link here last night in another post. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/J30/1995_J30/ That will help a lot, (I hope).
T

GerryO
Car: 1993 J30t
Pearl White
Black Interior

Thrundar wrote:I'll be taking some of the engine apart this weekend and see what's going on there. I'll photo journal it. Sadly we got this car in hopes it would be cheap basic transportation since our 97 Ford Ranger blew a head gasket.
We still own and drive a V6 '97 Ford PU that blew a lower manifold gasket at about 70K miles, moving a bunch of the coolant into the oil pan and out the exhaust. Shop repairs ran about $700. My son and I successfully replaced a BHG on a '86 Toyota MR2 with a bad water pump and clogged heater core, that he picked up for $500 a few years ago.

Taking the J30 engine apart should reveal the source of the problem and hopefully nothing has been permanently altered to make things "work". Best of luck.

Thrundar

GerryO wrote:
Thrundar wrote:I'll be taking some of the engine apart this weekend and see what's going on there. I'll photo journal it. Sadly we got this car in hopes it would be cheap basic transportation since our 97 Ford Ranger blew a head gasket.
We still own and drive a V6 '97 Ford PU that blew a lower manifold gasket at about 70K miles, moving a bunch of the coolant into the oil pan and out the exhaust. Shop repairs ran about $700. My son and I successfully replaced a BHG on a '86 Toyota MR2 with a bad water pump and clogged heater core, that he picked up for $500 a few years ago.

Taking the J30 engine apart should reveal the source of the problem and hopefully nothing has been permanently altered to make things "work". Best of luck.
Well God willing, it is not rigged up too bad. The engine itself sounds great. The body is in good shape, the transmission makes it go forward, but sadly, still no replies on my thread about the Reverse not working. These vehicles sure keep life interesting. (Now where did I put that 200 mpg intake manifold?) :crazy:

swimshark
Car: Bamboo Mist 1994 Infiniti J30 Soon to RIPs

Pearl White 1993 Infiniti J30 Project Ghost

there are only 2 thin guide washers behind the crank pulley than keep the timing belt from possibly going off the crank sprocket. is the crank bolt loose? it takes a 27mm socket and a 1/2" drive ratchet, then try spinning it clockwise. if it isnt loose get a 2-jaw pulley puller, loosen the crank bolt and pull the crank pulley off and make sure they didnt put the thick washer behind the pulley itself.

Thrundar

swimshark wrote:there are only 2 thin guide washers behind the crank pulley than keep the timing belt from possibly going off the crank sprocket. is the crank bolt loose? it takes a 27mm socket and a 1/2" drive ratchet, then try spinning it clockwise. if it isnt loose get a 2-jaw pulley puller, loosen the crank bolt and pull the crank pulley off and make sure they didnt put the thick washer behind the pulley itself.
The issue with the pulleys is the Harmonic balancer separated. Got a used one being shipped from Alabama.

T

Thrundar

A little good news. The replacement crankshaft pulley / harmonic balancer is on an all belts now line up and operate properly! Next, fighting the transmission revers problem. Eying rebuilding it myself.

T

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”