First Post, Background, Advice (240z)

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
Dyanagi
Car: '72 Datsun 240z

Hello All!!!
This is my first post on this forum and I am excited to get to know you all and learn a ton. I hope my post is on topic, if not please tell me and I'll move it to the correct forum.

About me: Essentially I have very little car knowledge. I know a bit but really have never worked on cars in depth. My knowledge is basically limited to watching Mighty Car Mods and other youtube videos like that. I have done basic maintenance on my family's cars but I have never really gotten into anything too heavy.
I really want to use this forum to learn about how to make a car run, then how to make it run the way I want it to :naughty: My bucket list goal is to run the Baja 1000 with my brother one day.

So why am I on the Datsun board?

Well is my predicament/plan. My father has a '72 240Z in my grandma's garage in California. My brother and I have been planning on getting it out to Michigan (where we live now) for several years. Our plan is to use the Datsun to learn how to work on cars. I will need to rely on you heavily for advice on how to go about doing this (I hope this is okay).
I found out that the car probably hasn't been started in about 15-20 years (not to say that it can't, just that no one has). I obviously don't want to just go and turn it over considering it has been sitting.

My first hypothetical is... say I have a week or two to travel to the car and work on it (I don't right now but I want to know). What should I do to get it running? I'm obviously not gonna drive it across the country until I know it can handle the trip.
My Guess: flush the engine, oil change, change the battery, new tires for sure. Also get all the black widows who have probably made their home in there out. What else would you say though?

Cheers and sorry for the long post.

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

Your biggest problem is apt to be a contaminated fuel system. In the tank, in the carbs, and in the fuel line. You are also apt to have a lot of corrosion/crude in the gas tank. This is not a problem your can tackle with household tools on a weekend trip. I would suggest you find a shop that can clean/condition the gas tank before you head out. There is a drain port on the bottom of the tank, so drain it before you try to remove it.

You can unmounts the gas tank and deliver it to the re-conditioner.

Your next biggest problem is apt to be seals/gaskets in the fuel system. Rebuilding the fuel pump today is not an option. Replace the pump if required. Rebuilding the Carbs is a different matter. Not necessarily a job for beginners. Inspect all the rubber hoses for cracks.

I'm sure the more experienced members of the forum will have a lot more information. This is just a start to a long list.

Dyanagi

Thanks! I'll definitely start there. I may get it shipped out here to Michigan and store it in the garage during winter. Michigan roads are hell though so maybe not.

I'd like to do everything myself, even the tough stuff. It may take a while, but that is the only way I'm gonna be satisfied.
It may be daunting but the goal is to learn and I'll be 10x more proud of something I did than if not.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard!

Great car to start on - Simple enough to not be overwhelming, but challenging enough to be rewarding.

I'd agree with the transport idea - I'm pretty knowledgable about old Zs, and I wouldn't even try to drive one from CA to AZ unless I had completely gone through it mechanically... not something you want to do in a hurry (and without tools, time and money).

Doing a restoration is best tackled in tiny bites - an hour each day, with maybe a long session on the weekends... One system at a time, until it's back to 'as-new' condition mechanically.

We'll be right here for ya. You've got access to literally HUNDREDS of years of restoration experience here, so do lots of reading, ask questions, and enjoy!

Dyanagi

djwarner wrote:Your biggest problem is apt to be a contaminated fuel system. In the tank, in the carbs, and in the fuel line. You are also apt to have a lot of corrosion/crude in the gas tank. This is not a problem your can tackle with household tools on a weekend trip. I would suggest you find a shop that can clean/condition the gas tank before you head out. There is a drain port on the bottom of the tank, so drain it before you try to remove it.

You can unmounts the gas tank and deliver it to the re-conditioner.

Your next biggest problem is apt to be seals/gaskets in the fuel system. Rebuilding the fuel pump today is not an option. Replace the pump if required. Rebuilding the Carbs is a different matter. Not necessarily a job for beginners. Inspect all the rubber hoses for cracks.

I'm sure the more experienced members of the forum will have a lot more information. This is just a start to a long list.

So i've been doing a bit of research and I was wondering if I should replace the system with an EFI system. What do you think?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

The stock SU carbs are about as simple as can be. After sitting for so many years the pistons are likely stuck, and there is likely sediment in the fuel bowls, we are talking about a 30 minute job for someone who is fairly handy. You can buy rebuilt cSU's form Z therapy or upgrade to triples but that'll cost ya. Fuel injection would cost even more, unless you used a pile of 40 year old 280z parts which I don't recommend unless you know what you are doing, honestly keeping the carbs is likely the cheapest and simplest solution even if you go the Z therapy route. If it were me I'd get a set of carbs, and a petronix ignition.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”