First Oil change...

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
madpistol
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL w/ Connection Pkg.

I'm incredibly green with this, but I have to start somewhere. Please bear with me.

I am the proud owner of an '08 Altima 2.5SL Sedan. It's the first car that I've owned outside of my parents. It's got just over 3000 miles on it, and I want to get an oil change for it before I take it on its first long trip this weekend. I want to make sure that I do everything right, because the way its looking right now, I will have this car for probably 120-130k miles before I get another.

So what do ya'll do for an oil change? I've heard that semi-synthetic oil first time and full synthetic oil the second is the way to go, but I'm confused. Do you have to buy the oil at an auto store prior to the oil change, or do you just request it at the oil change place? Also, does it matter if I have it done at the Nissan Dealer, or can it just be a locally owned Texaco Express Lube? (I've had good luck with the local guys on previous cars)

I'm seriously confused as to what I need to do. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Also, I want stability > performance, but I like to have a little fun sometimes.

YipMan_Style

I'm not a fan of synthetic, so I would use traditional dino oil as stated in the owner's manual. I really don't see a need for synthetic for the day-to-day guy. If you feel comfortable going to a local shop, then do it. Good work is hard to find. Save your receipts, and make sure they put in the right grade according to the owner's manual. Sometimes their discount price is only for 10-30.

mcheddadi
Car: R8

madpistol wrote:I'm incredibly green with this, but I have to start somewhere. Please bear with me.

I am the proud owner of an '08 Altima 2.5SL Sedan. It's the first car that I've owned outside of my parents. It's got just over 3000 miles on it, and I want to get an oil change for it before I take it on its first long trip this weekend. I want to make sure that I do everything right, because the way its looking right now, I will have this car for probably 120-130k miles before I get another.

So what do ya'll do for an oil change? I've heard that semi-synthetic oil first time and full synthetic oil the second is the way to go, but I'm confused. Do you have to buy the oil at an auto store prior to the oil change, or do you just request it at the oil change place? Also, does it matter if I have it done at the Nissan Dealer, or can it just be a locally owned Texaco Express Lube? (I've had good luck with the local guys on previous cars)

I'm seriously confused as to what I need to do. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Also, I want stability > performance, but I like to have a little fun sometimes.
Get full synthetic now and enjoy it worry free for longer .anyone can do it even the guys in wallmart

hondaman69
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5S

I recently purchased a new 2008 2.5 S sedan, & asked the service manager what oil was used in the car from new, incase it needed topping off, I was informed that they use penzoil 5W30 synthetic blend. Also regarding one of the other posts about your question, I have a 2000 honda civic EX that I used Mobil 1 synthetic from the second oil change, the car has 158,000 miles have checked valve adjustment , but have never had to actually adjust the clearance. Plus if you think that synthetic oil is a waste of money, I work on aircraft the only way turbine engines that turn 21,000 rpm last is they run synthetic oil in them.

NissanAltimaGuy
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE

I haven't approached my first oil change yet, but I've heard rumors of don't run synthetic until x number of miles. If they're using a synthetic blend from the factory, then I guess this isn't true.

Any thoughts on an appropriate time to switch? Thanks

xeene
Car: 2008 altima, 2007 fx35

go with and change oil every 10-15k.

and you can run synthetic right from start. a lot of new cars come off factory with synthetic oil in the engine already. just google mobil 1 synthetic for all the info.

hondaman69
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5S

I have run mobil 1 since ist oil change in my Honda civic, & will run it in our 2008 Altima, in the Honda I went 10,000 miles between oil changes with no problems, but will be changing at recomended oil change intervals to keep the warranty in effect, after its out of warranty I'll most certanly go back to 10,000 plus oil change schedule

NissanAltimaGuy
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE

I changed my oil for the first time on the Altima today. I'd like to extend the middle finger to the engineer who put the filter right above the frame. Makes for a messy oil change.

I guess there's no way around it when the engine's mounted sideways. But still.

brother_vlad
Car: Nissan Altima 2.5S 2007

I've switched to syntetic oil this week-end at 16k miles. Mobil 1 at walmart $23 for 5qrts cant beat that.

I've owened Audi A6 before and oil change was taking 15-20 mins. In Altima 45 minutes. It sucks to take the wheel off to replace the oil filter. It is what it is. There is an option pay $70 at shop or $30 and spend 45 mins. I feel more confident when i change oil myself. 100% oil is drained and do not overfill engine with oil.

eddie2.5
Car: Nissan Altima

70$ oil change?!@ lucky my first oil change will be free at the dealership so syntheic?

brother_vlad
Car: Nissan Altima 2.5S 2007

$70 thats what most of the places charge you for syntetic oil change. Ask dealer to swith you to syntetic and i dont think that it would be free for you

xeene

i bought my own oil and filter and dealer changed it for $15.

joker111086
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

my dealership gave me lifetime free oil changes. they use synthetic oil in my car

joker111086
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

wait they gotta take off the tire to change the oil??? wtfz lol i just got rims onmy car i dont want them bishez touchin them!

xeon

NissanAltimaGuy wrote:I changed my oil for the first time on the Altima today. I'd like to extend the middle finger to the engineer who put the filter right above the frame. Makes for a messy oil change.

I guess there's no way around it when the engine's mounted sideways. But still.
I haven't changed my oil yet or seen where the filter is, but it sounds like my Honda Odyssey van. The filter on that is right above the cross member and could make for a real messy oil change. I took a milk jug and trimmed it to fit above the frame and allow the oil to drain directly into the oil pan. Problem solved.

Lots of vehicles do not appear to be designed with clean oil changes in mind... the worst I've had was an RX-8. Filter is on the firewall and pretty much vertical. I used to punch holes on the top of it and let it drain... even still I would get some oil down the side of motor and tranny. My motorcycle has a filter sticking off of the front of the motor with the header pipes below it, that's an easy fix after cramming a funnel between two of the pipes. There are ways to get things done.

While I'm at it... what is the oil filter p/n for this car? I use PureOne filters and will probably pick up a few to put on the shelf.

xeene

mobil 1 filter part# is m-108

xeon

xeene wrote:mobil 1 filter part# is m-108
Thanks, that actually tells me a lot... I'm familiar with that filter. I use a longer version of that filter already, which would be the equivalent of the M-110. It is about 3/4" longer than the M-108, which gives you a bit more filtering area. For some reason, the M-108 seems to often be more expensive than the M-110... why I'm not sure. Same filter, the M-110 is just longer.

The PureOne filter equivalents to the Mobil-1 filter would be the PL14612(M-108) and the PL14610(M-110). I have a bunch of the PL14610 on my shelf right now since they fit every car I have and my bike... including the new Altima.

xeene

yeah some places recommend m-110 others suggest m-108. so i called mobil and asked a technician there, they pointed me towards 108.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”