First Nissan ....have a couple questions.

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
gabe1

HelloFirst time posting here.Bought my daugher a 2002 pathfinder LE

Manual calls for 91 octane...can I use regular 87 octane in this engine?

Also does this suv have a timming belt or a timming chain ?Thanks for your helpGabriel

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

The VQ35 engine in your daughters 02 has a timing chain, so you're good there, but there was one issue with all Nissan VQ engines (including murano, 300Z, G35, Pathfinder all share the same engine) with intake manifold screws backing themselves out and getting sucked in the engine http://npora.ipbhost.com//inde...14826 Dont stress about it, there are thousands of VQ pathfinders that have yet to see a problem, and those people won't go posting on the internet, whereas the ones who have experienced problems, they will search google, and find the message board and add their 2 cents. It seems much worse than it really is, i think. Other than that, the VQ is a great engine, lots of power and the sound of the exhaust is addicting in my opinion. And i think you should be fine on 87 octane. Just tell your daughter that if she ever hears 'pinging', to go easy on the gas and put 91 in. Elevation also plays a role - if you are at sea level, i suggest you stick to 91 but as you gain elevation, you can start to drop the octane, in high places like the mountains they even sell 85 octane which is safe to use up there.
Modified by fueler at 6:34 PM 7/19/2007

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

Welcome to NICO! If I had the VQ, I'd tighten down the screws to be safe. . but like fueler says, I'm sure the problem is not nearly as bad as we think sometimes.

I see VQ Pathfinders allllll the time around here, and I don't hear complaints.

Wish I had the extra 70 HP.

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

Screw the VQ. I'm going to get that extra 70HP+ eventually for my QX.

Naturally Aspirated of course

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

SnowSurfLax wrote:Screw the VQ. I'm going to get that extra 70HP+ eventually for my QX.

Naturally Aspirated of course
I dig the Q45 piston / other goodies that equal 250 HP. . . I think that'd be f-ing cool.

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

That is eventually the plan!

For right now though, I'm limited to what I have money to spend (or am willing to spend) on some shop to do the mods for me. My lame condo has a "no car repair" clause in in our bylaws, essentially I can only work on my car if it won't run. Even then I can liable for any "pavement damage" done by leaking fluids.

gabe1

I am happy about the timming chain they are more durable then the belts.

The reason I bought my daugher this suv is the reability of the engine according to consumers reports.Last year This guy that works with me had a 2002 ALTIMA well he junked the car because of that manifold screw problem ,I did not know that the pathfinder had the same problem? I am going to my local indy and have him take a look at them.

Is it easy to check these manifold screws where are they located?

I love my SAAB forum but this Nissan forum looks great too.

Thanks guys

2002 Pathfinder LE (all the toys except the navigation)2000 Dodge Gran Caravan LE (family work horse)2002 Saab 9-5 AERO (love the 250 HP turbo charged and torque of 258 @ 1900 RPM)

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”