First gen Altima purchase

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
VJZ

Hi all,

I am looking at maybe buying a 1994 Altima. It has 99k miles on it and is in nice shape except for a few minor rust spots and a dent in the driver's fender.

They are asking $1,200.

I am hoping to go look at it soon. What are things I should keep an eye out for?

emtdpf
Car: 1993 Nissan Altima

I have a 93 that was given to me.... and I know why now.

Check those rust spots....they may be all the way through. Rear door jams towards the back...rot out, also check underneith on either side for rot underneith......... also the trunk area.... underneith.... all subject to rot spots.....

this is what I just finished repairing on mine......

Custom101
Car: 1997 Nissan Altima GXE 2dr Sedan Custom

Look in the radiator reservoir for red or pink coloration. Also check under the radiator cap for ketchup (red rust). If the fluid is anything other than greenish yellow, then the engine is rusting on the inside of the block (don't buy). Check the compression on each cylinder cold and hot (should be between 175-149psi). If they are not all the same pressure, then you have a bad head gasket. If one cylinder is lower than the rest, then drop a few drops of new oil in the cylinder and retest that cylinder. If the compression rises 3-7 psi, then you have a bad piston ring. Squirt brake parts cleaner (not as harsh on rubber as carb cleaner) gingerly around the vacuum lines and intake manifold plenum. Squirt a little and listen for the engine to rev up. If it does rev up, then you have a leak in that area. Also check the exterior of the engine for excess oil. That's all I remember for right now, it has been awhile since I purchased a used vehicle. Good Luck

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”