first car

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
frankie111sport

is a g35 coupe a good first car? I'm 16 and live in new England.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hey and welcome to NICO Club! The G35 is a solid car from the factory. Providing the previous owners took care of it, I'd say it's reliable. Do a thorough inspection of any used car you buy. Consider your finances. Consider why people recommend beaters and lower powered cars for first cars. You want and need reliability, function, repairable, controllable, safe, and affordable. It's a lot of power for a first car, but not insane imho. It is kind of pricey for a first, but maybe your family is well to do. Learn to drive around town. Take car control clinics and auto cross. Don't be the drift king until after some thorough experience and training. The best upgrade will be your mind and skills. You can get that going in nearly any car of course. Do you see some around for a good price?

frankie111sport

Well thank you that's very helpful but I still have a solid 6 months before I buy the car so I've been looking around for a while but I don't know what a good price is for the car.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

What do you mean a good price for the car? Try things like Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds for general cash value, then actual ads for vehicle specific pricing. A good price is just an opinion about what you can afford and are comfortable with. Or do you mean something less obvious? I might be misunderstanding, happens all the time. How much $ have you saved for your new car or will it be a gift?

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

frankie111sport wrote:is a g35 coupe a good first car? I'm 16 and live in new England.
It's good if you want to meet the ladies! :naughty:

In all seriousness, I'm not sure I would recommend it to many 16 y.o. unless you have plenty of money to throw around.

My 04 G35 6MT sedan was the first car I bought myself (when I was 22). I used my family's old Subaru Legacy as a beater before that time. I didn't have a ton of money at the time, but I had a job and was able to save up over a couple years.

Not that I'm doubting the ability of a 16 y.o. to save enough money to buy a nice car, but are your parent's buying this for you?

frankie111sport

I'm pretty sure my dad is buying the car for me but I have to pay insurance and all that stuff.

frankie111sport

How much would you need to have monthly to afford a g35 coupe? Including insurance, gas and maintenance.

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

...if you leave it in your garage and never drive it, believe it or not, it's free.

I'm not trying to be condescending, but how do you expect any of us to know the costs for someone we don't know?

When I first purchased my 2004 G35 sedan 6MT. It was probably costing me $250-300/month as a daily driver not including parking associated costs.

Now, 4 years later, it costs me ~$125/month.

JustAnotherG35
Car: 2017 Majestic White Q50S Premium Plus

I financed mine at $7000, monthly payments are $160 a month. If you don't take out a loan (more power to you) then running costs will vary dramatically on how you drive. My insurance payments monthly are $130 (which in my opinion is a rip-off, but I have to go full coverage will financing). Gas is expensive, I drive longer distances from work and home, so I'm right around $60 a week, figure a full tank for every 6-7 days. Maintenance is another relative topic as it varies on the car you buy. I'd set aside a couple hundred dollars for any unexpected down turns, but that's with any car.

Without monthly payments you're probably around $250-300 a month between gas and insurance.

frankie111sport

So I am currently 16 going onto 17 and have been looking into buying a g35 coupe for a long time. I just want to know what the maintenance cost would be monthly. The gas weekly. The insurance for a teen in Massachusetts. Also is it a hard car to drive? Also how is it in the snow because I left I’ve in Massachusetts and obviously have snow. I would prefer you to answer to me over my email which is *REDACTED*. This is for easier response to me
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: REDACTED

QCtech
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE

For your safety and the safety of the members here please dont post or ask to be answered to your private email. Many people in craiglist do this to collect and sell emails of real people. Use the private messaging function of this forum if you prefer, but dont ask people here to answer to your email or you might be flagged as a spammer and removed from the forum. Another thing is that you say you have the car in your title, and then you are asking about a car that you dont have actually.You question is highly superficial because the maintenance will depend on the year of the car, and the maintenance done to it. You dont say what year you would be buying. Gas weekly? that depends of how many miles you use it and you should be able to see the mpg in city/highway in the internet and do your own calculation of how much you are going to be driving it, hard car to drive?? No car is hard to drive, there are people without the proper skills. Sorry kid, but your questions seem highly suspicious of a spammer or an email collector. I am going to try to think that you are too young and can not think about these things, but if you can not anwer this questions by yourself looking at the car data about mpg and your state gas prices, I think you should be better off not having this type of car.

frankie111sport

QCtech wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:43 pm
For your safety and the safety of the members here please dont post or ask to be answered to your private email. Many people in craiglist do this to collect and sell emails of real people. Use the private messaging function of this forum if you prefer, but dont ask people here to answer to your email or you might be flagged as a spammer and removed from the forum. Another thing is that you say you have the car in your title, and then you are asking about a car that you dont have actually.You question is highly superficial because the maintenance will depend on the year of the car, and the maintenance done to it. You dont say what year you would be buying. Gas weekly? that depends of how many miles you use it and you should be able to see the mpg in city/highway in the internet and do your own calculation of how much you are going to be driving it, hard car to drive?? No car is hard to drive, there are people without the proper skills. Sorry kid, but your questions seem highly suspicious of a spammer or an email collector. I am going to try to think that you are too young and can not think about these things, but if you can not anwer this questions by yourself looking at the car data about mpg and your state gas prices, I think you should be better off not having this type of car.
Well I’m not a scammer or anything. I’m just trying to get some knowledge of this and I want a 2006 g35 coupe. If it’s a problem asking these questions I can leave. I don’t have a problem if I’m bpthering you man. I’m just here for some answers to some of my questions

QCtech
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE

frankie111sport wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:10 pm
QCtech wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:43 pm
Well I’m not a scammer or anything. I’m just trying to get some knowledge of this and I want a 2006 g35 coupe. If it’s a problem asking these questions I can leave. I don’t have a problem if I’m bpthering you man. I’m just here for some answers to some of my questions
Well, we dont know that, and you dont have to leave, and no one is forcing you to. I am telling you how it works, and I clearly stated for the safety of both our forum members and yourself. I see you or an adm redacted your email, so all is well now. You should read the forum rules and learn how it works. If I had a dime from every spammer that swore they are not I would have a small fortune. Just abide by the rules of the forum and you should be good. I also pointed out that you are asking somewhat too superficial questions. No one can tell you how much insurance will be for a 16 year old in your state. Mainly that is a question that only your father could answer you because you are a minor, and it will be the credit and accident history of your parents what will be taken into account. You can not ask how much gas would be, because we dont even know how much is gas prices per gallon on your state, and what type will you use(premium, regular?) etc. You posted a title like you owned the car and then it showed that no, you are actually asking about buying one, so maybe if you start by making your mind up and putting things in perspective some of us could help you. You are planning on buying a used car that have now 11 years and is highly involved in maintenance and electronics, and you are a minor. We are giving you straight answers, but we can not make the answers out of thin air. Are your parents going to take care of all the maintenance or you will have to pay it yourself? Are you going to use the car as a daily driver or a weekend trips car?Are you planning of actually learning to work on it yourself? If you channel your information well, and are prepared to receive honest answers about something that is a big responsibility, then you can get a lot of help here. Now, as with ANY used 11 year old car, there is a lot of homework you have to do yourself, and there is a search function on the forum. Use all your available resources is you are looking for real data before asking. If you are looking for opinions, that is a whole different thing. Your question have a little of both. The hard data could be get at many outlets in the internet and your state prices and regulations. I am being straight with you about how this forum works, and how owning an older car works. What you make up of all this information is up to you. Or you can simply ignore me. I am not an administrator, I am just answering using common sense.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

frankie111sport wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:49 pm
is a g35 coupe a good first car? I'm 16 and live in new England.

No it is not a good first choice for a first car for a 16 yr old.

Learning to drive a stick shift is much easier,has lower maintenance, cheaper parts, cheaper insurance, front wheel drive is better in snow, and better MPG on a Honda Civic.

Telcoman

$tarter
Car: 2011 G37S sedan 6sp

"So I am currently 16 going onto 17 and have been looking into buying a g35 coupe for a long time. I just want to know what the maintenance cost would be monthly. The gas weekly. The insurance for a teen in Massachusetts. Also is it a hard car to drive? Also how is it in the snow because I left I’ve in Massachusetts and obviously have snow."

It's not a hard car to drive at all. Though as a younger person with limited driving experience you could get yourself into a lot of trouble with the power (and I don't mean tickets). Find your local road racing track and see if they have car control classes you can take. Worth it's time and money to assure your longevity. How good it is in the snow is much more a factor of what tires are on the car and how good a driver you are than the car itself.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”