finished rebuild of z32, almost starts but won't

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
LeftHandedCat

hello all, i just finished rebuilding the abandoned z32 project and have enough parts on it to test start(everything but the coolant lines), it sounds like it's just barely not able to start, possibly a timing issue, not sure but i figured i'd let a trained ear listen before i go back out tonight and try and chase it down myself. listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XupA6vI ... e=youtu.be

also it might be worth noting that when i set the timing belt the crankshaft mark kept ending up about 1/3 of a tooth off of the mark on the oil pump every single time after following the process(yes with a new tensioner and pulleys and belt), i just assumed that was kinda how it is but that slight timing issue may be causing an ignition timing issue as well.

so far i have checked that all the fuel injectors click when rotating the sensor with fp relay unplugged but i have not checked spark yet and compression was almost perfectly even in all 6 cylinders before the test start, i have tried rotating the cam position sensor to see if it was spark timing, no good at least within the limits of the sensor's slots for the bolt, and the maf shows 0.8v key on engine off and goes up on my consult scan tool when cranking as does the crank sensor count

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

It sounds fairly healthy as far as timing goes, have you checked fuel pressure? Do you have the fuel lines, regulator, and damper connected in the correct order?

LeftHandedCat

unfortunately i did have that all in order, the right side head holds no compression(60psi) after the first attempt of starting it for some reason, so i guess it's back to tearing it down to see if i somehow messed up the valves or just didn't torque the head gasket right or something ;-;

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

ouch, 60psi, I hope your gauge is bad. Before you tear down try a leakdown to confirm and isolate the issue.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”