finally got coilovers installed for the front of my Y33

NICO's V.I.P. styling forum.
owinbush
Car: 1998 Inifinit Q45
2009 Nissan Cube

I finally picked up some S14 coilovers and installed the fronts this evening (in about 38 minutes). As some of you may know I did the s14 conversion on my y33 a few months ago and I've been looking for a good set of used s14 coilovers since then. My boy Amir id'd a set on monday....picked em up yesterday...and installed today. Pics are below. Sorry for the hella hot spots I'm trying to make sure you all can see the fender to wheel/tire distance. Also the best part is I can actually go another 3 inches lower. I'll actually lay frame before I begin to max out the shocks. I also installed JIC camber plates on the s14 coilovers. So now I can adjust camber to maximize wheel fitment.

This is by far the best mod I've ever done on any of my cars. Definitely worth the time and energy. The last couple of pics are to demonstrate the distance from the cats to the ground and the framerail to the ground.

A write up is coming for those of you who are interested.

D-Maxima
Car: HSV VQ Statesman 5000i

nice you got that pretty slammed now

TBrack
Car: none

are those 18'' wheels? looks good, most important thing is that the wheel lip comes as close to the edge of the fender as possible.

If you're interested in starting up an east tennessee vip club let me know I've got me and two others so far.

Damicci
Car: 1994 Q45/President

So how is the height adustability or is it like the G50 and Z coilovers?

I would have liked to stay on coilovers but in this city it is not practical FOR ME to replace tires every other month due to bubbles caused by camber and bad streets. If I am going to throw away money it could atleast be on the car and not in tires alone.

owinbush
2009 Nissan Cube

Layso, not trying to be a jerk or anything but I'm not a newb. You can see from the pics that I've got below that I understand the importance or proper fitment. the temps are 19x8.5+35f and 19x9.5+25 rears. 275/35/19 rubber in the back and 245/35 up front. interestingly enough no rubbing out back although I can put my finger between the fender and the tire.

I'd love to start up a crew but it'll be hard for me to hand with ya'll since I'm in Nashville. There are about 5 hardcore guys here now. My boy Amir and a young jedi, named Taylor who has slammed silver on black 2nd gen GS300 with exhaust on Stance Coilovers. Tibbs of course, Squirk. I even have a buddy who just picked up an Estima Wagon that we are going to mod VIP style. We're trying to get this thing going here in middle.

These are my back up wheels. The ones I run on a regular basis are flush. but I may end up adding a spacer now to maintain proper fitment since the additional camber from being so low is making them more sunken. the specs on my standard running gear are 19x9.5 +15 all the way around. I've put a 5mm spacer up front since doing the conversion and probably will start running a 10mm spacer now.

Here are some pics of the wheels i usually run. As you can see they are just about flush....not hella flush.....but considering this is a daily driver and I haven't rolled my fenders...yet....I think fitment is about spot on.

more pics older interior...prior to the conversion so its pretty high in the air

Modified by owinbush at 9:02 AM 9/25/2008

owinbush
2009 Nissan Cube

The coilovers are monotubes. so the entire assembly will screw up and down in the bracket, on top of having the normal height adjustment you get from adjusting the spring height. the are also dampening adjustable. Right now I've got them probably 3/4s of the way up, and like I said I could lay frame with them and still have plenty of suspension travel. Best part is the shocks aren't getting overworked since they have the full travel where they are set right now.

TBrack
Car: none

owinbush wrote:Layso, not trying to be a jerk or anything but I'm not a newb. You can see from the pics that I've got below that I understand the importance or proper fitment. the temps are 19x8.5+35f and 19x9.5+25 rears. 275/35/19 rubber in the back and 245/35 up front. interestingly enough no rubbing out back although I can put my finger between the fender and the tire.

I'd love to start up a crew but it'll be hard for me to hand with ya'll since I'm in Nashville. There are about 5 hardcore guys here now. My boy Amir and a young jedi, named Taylor who has slammed silver on black 2nd gen GS300 with exhaust on Stance Coilovers. Tibbs of course, Squirk. I even have a buddy who just picked up an Estima Wagon that we are going to mod VIP style. We're trying to get this thing going here in middle.

These are my back up wheels. The ones I run on a regular basis are flush. but I may end up adding a spacer now to maintain proper fitment since the additional camber from being so low is making them more sunken. the specs on my standard running gear are 19x9.5 +15 all the way around. I've put a 5mm spacer up front since doing the conversion and probably will start running a 10mm spacer now.

Here are some pics of the wheels i usually run. As you can see they are just about flush....not hella flush.....but considering this is a daily driver and I haven't rolled my fenders...yet....I think fitment is about spot on.
didn't mean to make you feel that way I was just reiterating an important concept.

I hear ya about the nashville group, I'm sure both crews can meet up at some point

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Looks great Omari. Let me know when you and Amir are ready for some 50% blue. I have a buddy that owes me a favor, so I should have the fenders rolled and flared soon. Plus the Q is going in the shop in a couple of weeks to get a door ding fixed. Drunks friends suck.

S13Flame
Car: Y33

Hey tibbs buy my Sterns up there! I need them gone! LOL!

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

You take payments?

Norrek4040
Car: 1991 300zx 2+2 Z32

hey did you ever do that write up!

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

So w/ S14 coilovers, you can't go as low as with S13, but as long as you don't need to go ridiculously low, they will do the job just fine, correct?

I have heard that due to the rear height difference in the S14 --> S13, you won't be able to go super low, but I just want a nice stance, not be slammed.

owinbush
2009 Nissan Cube

The stock height of s14 and q45 shocks is about the same. I haven't put the rears on yet (i'm being lazy) so i can't tell you whether the s14 coils slammed will give you good options far as height between low and really low, or just average drop. My gut feeling is that they will go low enough but you'll be riding at the lowest point of height adjustment for the s14 coils....which may affect ride quality and shorten the life of the shock.

Return to “VIP Forum”