Finally, a pic of the VH engine in a superstock!

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

Check out out, these things are so tough! Ramming each other into the barriers at high speed & making a crapload of noise! I couldn't think of a grittier, tougher arena for the mighty VH.

I've personally seen this car go, it's very impressive... not as awesome as the Wade tank, but close!

Resleeved block (4.0L regulations), forged internals, head work, brutal cams, fully reworked valvetrain with solid lifters etc, dry sump, powered by race fuel... with over 500HP and sometimes revving as high as 10,000RPM, these VH powered superstock cars are not to be messed with!!!

David Steele
Car: S13 FastBacK

I talked to a head porter here and he told me he's done VH for customers in austrailia for some competition.

This was the dyno for one of the heads he ported.

Mettler

More pics! Sweet!

The first three are Scott Redfern's superstock... car #96. Legendary car & driver, kicking *** every time I've seen it at the teams racing. Big ups to the team!

The last one I think is the Wade tank's engine bay, not entirely sure. Just guessing because it looks like it's in a tank chassis and their tank is red.

Nyloc

Be in Palmerston North Feb 9/10th for the national teams champs Mett!

For the last 5 years its a pool of toyota and nissan v8s, almost nothing else is used now.

Mettler

Looks like I might have to go! That'll be one hell of an event!

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I wonder if theyre losing much by being carburated vs fuel injected?

Mettler

I very much doubt they're actually losing any power whatsoever. They're at WOT pretty much all the time except on corners. These setups are to be respected!

David Steele

Could be a rule.

Mettler

Carburation is less efficient, not less powerful. Injection rules due to being able to change the delivery volume at any load point anywhere in the rev range, carbies go by vacuum. With the right jets & so forth, a carby will deliver the right quantity of fuel.

These are fine engines with no expenses spared Wes, but because this type of racing has been around since before EFi was standard on most cars, they have to keep the rules fairly standard across the board for those entrants who have older style motors which never had EFi... like the Ford SVOs etc (which are pretty awesome too).

David Steele

Carburation suxks anywhere else below wide open throttle and fuel distribution hasn't been covered yet.

I understand why they run it its great for them.

Nyloc

The track is a 1/4mile clay oval surrounded by a concrete wall and heavy fencing.

Rules for the cars are (in short):max capacity 248 cid . This is a recent rule change in regard of engines in use, for a long time it was 240cid to suit the flathead ford v8 overbored, widely used in the 60s-70s. Then various small block and 6 cyl fords, destroked chevs, chrylser 6's were used. Finally in the last 8 years or so an aussie ford i6, toyota v8 and nissan v8s became very popular, and the capacity was enlarged to move with the times.induction must be by 4 barrel carb, fuel is petrol usually avgas. Min weight 1400kg, max 1500kg.Most of the rest of the rules related to weight, dimensions, bumper construction, roll cage construction, belting and seat construction... watching these hit the concrete retaining wall headon, sideways or rearwards at 90mph with another car pushing makes you cringe a little. To watch one drive away afterwards is amazing. When pushing and shoving or ploughing an opponent into the wall to immobilise or roll them is legit and encouraged you are garrenteed a spectator sport. Bones broken by the impact are common, ribs, shoulders etc. my previous employer suffered a broken spine on what was meant to be his last race. Dissy caps are strapped and banded into place as they will literraly shatter on impacts as the engines are solid mounted. Everything must be secured, and not lightly.

In a normal race these cars lap the 1/4 mile clay oval in about 16-18sec, not bad considering the weight. In the NZ national teams racing event held annually over 2 nights only 15km from where i live the format is simple. 2 teams of 4 cars each line up for a standing start, 4 rows of 2. After the lights go green the first driver to complete 10 laps wins the race for his team. You may only drive anti-clockwise round the track. Its a very destructive form of racing, and a real spectator sport, especially when everyone there has a team to support. Im getting a bit OT ... but ive been waiting 49 weeks and the excitement is building :D

They seem to run fine on a 4brl and the biggest spenders are making 600+ hp, (and spending $60k+NZ). Most are 450-500hp and use only one gear while racing so vary thru the rev range quite a bit. The quad cam v8s are noticably easier to start and almost easy to drive around slowly, unlike the older iron block engines which where in states of very grumpy tune. Bryan hartley builds many of the engines used in these cars, and has a rep for building engines which will last a season without overhaul, some of these suffering overheating during the season but still going strong. Some of the credit must go to nissan of course. The engines that havent been hot often need only bearing shells and rings between seasons. Also OT - to give toyota thier due the 1uzfe has proved as able as the nissan and wins races against them.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Believe me im not dogging carburation like I did in that other thread .. Those are some very impressive motors, and if you're balls out and not concerned about idling smooth or lugging at 45mph with the AC on then who cares!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Awesome insight, Nyloc!!! THanks for that....

Good to see the old VH's are being put to good use.

SuperHatch
Car: 96 TLC

How do they trigger the ignition coils?

David Steele

Looks like one has Electromotive HPX & a crank trigger.

ultrapulse
Car: z32 300zx, Hilux & Datsun utes

Most that I see have the crank angle sensor removed and just adapt a std electronic dizzy upto that cam. Easy, simple and works well.

David Steele

ultrapulse wrote:Most that I see have the crank angle sensor removed and just adapt a std electronic dizzy upto that cam. Easy, simple and works well.
Look right above the rear of this picture HPX coil packs

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/products/hpx.html

This guy is trying to get the most out of his ignition timing.

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

Awesome post! I had no idea what these superstock cars you always talked about looked like. Very entertaining form of racing. Way cooler than nascar.

TAK83
Car: 2001 Hyundai "Beta Accent"0-60 imn 7.2 seconds.

HOLY CROW!!! SUper awesumous!!!

XRATED
Car: 700hp R32GTR

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those manifolds, to modify.

I wonder who makes them and what they cost?

David Steele

XRATED wrote:I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those manifolds, to modify.

Y
XRATED wrote:I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those manifolds, to modify.

Intake or Exhaust manifold?

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

I want one now.....

ultrapulse
Car: z32 300zx, Hilux & Datsun utes

XRATED wrote:I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those manifolds, to modify.I wonder who makes them and what they cost?
I assume u mean the inlet? Call "The Head Shop" in Palmerston North as far as I know Brian Hartley gets them cast in 2 halves then welded together. I cant help u out with cost, so pay to call him.

450Z

While we are talking about modifying a VH, do you have any contacts who make a range of camshaft profiles for the VH engine?I feel that it should not be very diffcult with a VH45DE with the right cams to make a reliable 100hp/lt or about 450hp in EFI mode.Any leads would be appreciated.Thanks

Mettler

^^lol... talk to elwesso, he is going to arrange a group buy to send several sets of cams to NZ for Brian Hartley's cam grind.

I'm getting mine done as part of my rebuild, and yeah, should be good for about 450HP.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

werd... Met, are you going with the same cams that I/We are going to get.

Mettler

Yeah man, that's the plan! Here's the interesting news.

Last night I went and saw Dave, driver of superstock #88H... he's selling me a VH45 crank and pistons at a really good price.

I asked him heaps about his motor. His one's a VH45 running the VH41 internals. Last season he ran modified standard pistons and rods.

This season he's running Ross forged pistons, and still running stock rods.

He's also running the factory hydraulic lash adjusters.

Rev limiter is 9000RPM and he hasn't shat a rod yet in over a year's racing!!

The motor runs upgraded stainless valves, and undoubtedly some stiffer valvesprings... as well as the siamesed ports having been knife edged and D shaped.

Those mods, combined with some hearty cams & a wicked dry sump setup (was getting oil starvation from cornering before) is getting him over 500HP.

So yeah... I've concluded from this that I could run a relatively safe 8000rpm or so if I do Ezekial's inner valvespring mod, and have a killer street motor with Brian's cams!

I asked him about the stage 2 cams and he said that the additional duration on those requires valve relieving on the pistons and a bunch of other changes... so it starts getting serious after that.

He said just try the stage 1 cams and I'll be very surprised and happy with the results.

slownslurious

he should just sell some p&p'd heads with stage 1 cams and stiffer valve springs installed already. I'd probably bite once I get the wedding payed off.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”