Finally a code - P0744

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
commanderclif
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue / 2013 Nissan Quest

Yesterday the Service Engine Soon light came on so I figured I'd finally be able to get a code which there was and it was a P0744 and then it said "A/T Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve Function".

I've had an issue for a few years where I'd loose power to the transmission but ONLY after running the car at 70 MPH our higher for an extended period of time. No issues with regular city driving, but get on the highway for even like 20 minutes and when I'd get off an exit ramp, slow the vehicle, then RPMs from the engine would equate to MPH, there would be either little to no power in the transmission. I could pull over, shut the car off for as little as 3 minutes, and then resume driving in a much improved state, so a shut down and starting up seemed to make a difference.

Yesterday I was driving 140 miles. After about the first 20 at 70MPH, I had the issue. Pulled off the highway. Stopped the car for less than 5 minutes, started the car got back on the highway and then kept the cruise control set on 60 MPH for the remainder of the drive and not one problem the rest of the drive.

116,000 miles, CVT fluid was replaced at the dealer nearly 2 years ago and the problem existed before that. Didn't seem to improve after the change but the pitch of the sound made by the transmission was definitely improved by the fluid change that was a nice improvement.

Torque Converter easy to replace? That seem like the best first place to start? Hopefully not having to do a full transmission replacement.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Are you 100% sure it's the torque converter?
P0744 2008 NISSAN ROGUE - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Intermittent
Repair Difficulty Level: 3 = Hard.

How long does it take to fix a torque converter?
5-10 hours
Repair shops will charge between $600 and $1000 to replace a torque converter. The torque converter itself is relatively inexpensive (between $150 and $350, depending on the vehicle), but 5-10 hours of labor is involved since the transmission must be removed in order to replace the torque converter.
Nissan Rogue Service Manual: Unit removal and installation

commanderclif

Yeah not sure it is or just the code pointing at that. After posting I watched a video of the replacement and it started at the point where the transmission was dropping down out of the car and I said nope. I had seen advice to flush and change the fluid, seems too soon. Since it’s isolated, repeatable, easy workaround not sure if any of that helps to narrow down the why that makes any repair easier than a full new transmission.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Your car has 116k miles and serviced two years ago. What was the mileage at that point?

commanderclif

It had 105K miles on it two years ago when the trans fluid was replaced.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Okay. I forgot to ask, original or replacement CVT? The '08, '09 and even the '10 CVT's had a shorter than normal lifespan. True there are exceptions, but for the most part they just don't last nearly as long as a traditional tranny.

For some 2008 Nissan Rogue owners, they'd tend to see CVT transmission problems at around the 86,000 mile mark. Many early Rogue owners had their transmissions fail completely at around the 125,000-mile mark. So I hesitate to say it but, it sounds like you might be looking at a dying CVT. It's possible that it could just be the solenoid or even the torque converter, but if it were my car, I'd take it to a Nissan dealership for their opinion.

commanderclif

It is the original CVT, I bought it used in 2009 with very few miles on it so basically the only owner. Any chance there is a clutch solenoid valve or anything external to the tranny/torque converter that I could look to change short of dropping out the transmission? I did take it to the dealer two years ago when I wanted them to change the trans fluid and thought I was having an issue with the transmission slipping back then. No engine light would come on and they couldn't get a code but eventually set it up for me to talk to Nissan about looking to warranty the transmission and Nissan said NO. In the end, the issue I thought was the transmission slipping turned out to be an ignition coil that was going bad. Swapped that out and the problem was fixed. I realize I'm not going to be so lucky this time around and might have to look to get a rebuilt trans or something if I want to keep the car going.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Transmission failure in the 2008 Nissan Rogue typically occurs at around 124,000 miles and costs about $3,190 to fix. The most common solution is to replace the entire CVT transmission, which is an expensive fix, but needs to be done in order to prevent your car from stalling out at an inopportune and dangerous time.

Return to “Rogue Forum”