Filter housing 'wrap'?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Anyone know of a product that is like, latex or something and be stretched over the intake housing during engine washing to prevent water from getting inside?

Here's a pic of my engine bay...if I was to wash it, short of covering the filter housings with a grocery bag and using rubber bands...water will get in. Anyone know of a product that as a 'condom' for lack of a better term? lol.

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

Haha I feel your pain, one thing I don't miss about living on the east coast.

You might be able to stretch some large latex gloves around the opening.

mikedamageinc
Car: 2012 M37x Touring
1999 Camaro SS
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
2008 Yukon Denali

Stick and old tee shirt in each hole, wrap a walmart bag around the housing, put some blue painters tape if your want to be extra careful.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Oh my ! Living in a sunny place for so long, I had forgotten just how much pestiferous, lethiferous, deleterious, and wrackful dirt and grime the wicked winter witch to the north can do to an otherwise beautiful engine compartment. LOL (sorry, but it's Sat with pints partaken :cool: )
Firstly, I would NOT use any kind of pressure wash. I do what was said above. After the engine is warm, I cover anything that can NOT get wet with a large plastic bag. Then I spray engine cleaner or de-greaser onto the rest of the surfaces, followed by a brushing to loosen the grime, and finally rinsing with the garden hose nozzle setting that would gently shower the shrubs. Then I remove the plastic bags and spray those areas with the same cleaner carefully, followed by brushing those areas and then wiping them by hand with damp microfiber towels instead using the hose. A few passes with wet towels, and then just dry them off with the rest of the engine compartment.
OH! and do NOT forget ... SAT #51 at a med-high volume and plenty of cold tea throughout the process.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

So, I tried using the latex gloves I use when working on the car (changing oil, etc.) and was able to just barely put it over the air filter housing opening. However, after a few drops of water settle in the middle of the glove, they popped off...so that was out.

I then used the old trust grocery bag method and it, as before, did the trick...it's just annoying to use them for me lol. I'd prefer a small cover that pops on and off.

Using Larz' advice (I've always cleaned my engines - for the last 12 years I've been driving - at the car wash), I tried my hand at home. Put some Purple Power into a spray bottle, sprayed EVERYTHING down, let it sit for a minute and then started to brush it with a pre-soaked brush. After that I used the shower setting on my garden hose and rinsed it off. Engine came out much cleaner.

Took it for a spin to air dry it out.

I then followed it up with a manual effort to remove any spots the brush missed with a microfiber towel doused in Windex. Cleaned everything right up.

I didn't have BPM (SAT #51) playing though hahah...had some good ol country music goin. :chuckle:

Results:

Before:

After:

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Wow ! That is an amazingly brutal difference! I'm wondering what happened to that big black plastic gizmo that should be across the front and sticks into the intakes? Also, not to be thorn under your toe, but the power steering fluid looks very dark - maybe time to use the turkey baster to suck out the old and fill with new.

Ilya

Larz wrote:Wow ! That is an amazingly brutal difference! I'm wondering what happened to that big black plastic gizmo that should be across the front and sticks into the intakes? Also, not to be thorn under your toe, but the power steering fluid looks very dark - maybe time to use the turkey baster to suck out the old and fill with new.
I took it off and did some UpRev logging to see that it doesn't make much of a difference in temperature entering the engine (like 1-2*). Gives the engine a massive growl under load.

And noted on the PS...I definitely have some maintenance to do soon (spark plugs, PS, PCV valves, etc.)

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”