Filling OEM Motor Mounts

Articles, modifications, maintenance, DIY's, how-to's and general information for 240sx owners.
dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

Overview:

Filling your stock mounts is a great way to get a stiffer then stock mount, for pennies compared to a set of Nismo or JGS mounts. Some people also say that the Nismo mounts are too soft even still so this would give you another step stiffer then Nismo. Not only will it give you that stiffer mount you need but you wont have to worry about it raising/lowering your motor since it’s a stock mount nothing is going to change as far as positioning your motor. Also by filling your trans mount you wont have to worry about the sloppy shifter feeling while launching or drifting your car, which can lead to missed shifts and potentially breaking synchro’s or other transmission parts.

NOTE this is not to be confused as a way to fix your torn or completely broken OEM mount. IF SOMETHING IS RIPPED OR IN MORE THEN ONE PIECE YOU CANNOT USE IT!!!!!

Difficulty: *

Time: 15-20 minutes of degreasing, drying and filling. 4-6 days to fully cure for usage

Cost: $40

Materials:

- 2x tubes of 3M Window Weld

Tools:

- Bondo squeegee- Caulk gun

Procedure:

Begin by spraying your mounts down with some degreaser. With mine I used some “Engine Bright” at first let it sit for two minutes rinsed then I sprayed it down with some Meguairs wheel brightener I had laying around, which is similar to most wheel cleaners you would used if you cleaned your wheels. After Spraying it down with wheel cleaner I took my wheel brush scrubbed at the mounts, on every side to be sure I reached every where I could, then rinsed them off again. After all the degreaser is rinsed away I put them in the sun to dry off in my driveway. Once they were fully dry you want to take a towel to assure they are completely dry. Then load the 3m Window weld as you would with any other caulk style cartridges into the caulk gun. Once ready to use you want to squeeze the window weld into the center of the mount and work your way out . Don’t worry about being clean, shove it in there and fill it up. When your done one side you want to flip it over and do the other side, being careful not to disturb the window weld already installed on the mount. Once you have both sides filled up you have the option of just leaving them as is and letting them dry for the curing time of 4 to 6 days or you can take a bondo squeegee and try and smooth out and press in the 3m window weld more while doing so, that way you assure yourself your completely filling the mount. When there done put the mounts somewhere where you know they wont be bothered and with a warm temperature. Let them sit for 4 to 6 days (depending on temperature during the curing period) and cure. After the curing period you will have your filled mounts, stiff to the touch and ready to be installed.

by gorilla unit 33

Return to “240sx Articles”