Fill new oil filter with fresh oil?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
fixer3
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I've heard that when doing an oil change, it's good practice to fill up the new oil filter with fresh oil before spinning it on to avoid those few seconds of no oil while it has to fill an empty filter first before traveling on. Is there any validity to this?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

That's not really a thing anymore. Once upon a time when oil filters were huge and mounted vertically, like on many tractors and very heavy duty trucks today, filling the filter was the thing to do. Most engines have rather small filters in comparison so they take less than a second to fill up. Our R50 Pathfinder filters are very small. Only half the size of my 4 cylinder Kia Soul filter. Since our filters are mounted almost horizontally, most of the oil would spill out before you can get it screwed on.

fixer3

Thanks, I also see there's two filter sizes available. Any real advantage, or disadvantage, to the larger one if you already change oil frequently ?

I know to stay away from Fram and so have been using Bosch, any preferences.

mdmellott

I am always shopping around for the best spec's I can find on filters. Purolator PBL14612 PurolatorBOSS has been my go-to purchase for the last several years. This taller filter has a good flow rate, a large filter media surface area, and a bypass valve setting of about 16 psi. Wix was also one I went with awhile back but the BPVS on those is down around 10 psi so I stopped using them. Royal Purple has two different sizes. A tall one like the PurolatorBOSS and a normal undersized looking one, like OEM and most others, but the spec's are not as good as the boss.

fixer3

Good tip on the Puro Boss, thanks.

Phifross
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 V6 A/T

Are you using the same brand, Purolator, for your fuel filter?

mdmellott

Phifross wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:21 am
Are you using the same brand, Purolator, for your fuel filter?
Have not used Purolator fuel filters. I'm somewhat indifferent when it comes to fuel filters because I haven't seen many detailed spec's and I haven't looked much because of how infrequent this filter gets changed.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”