FFR's 380whp goal Thread

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

Cyman wrote: haha, right. forgot about that. but iirc AVS = AMS. I might be mistaken on that, though :P aside from the douchebaggery of the company they were marketed by, I was pleased with the SMICs for the price I payed. I'll end up replacing them before I hit 450ish hp, simply because I would prefer to give the business to the people that deserve it, and because I'm not 100% sure what these intercoolers are capable of.. but it made a noticeable difference in HP @ 15 psi.

and just an FYI: there were defects with my *ams* smics. the metal inlets on the intake side of one of the intercoolers was thicker than the other, making it a pain in the a** getting the hose on. also, the threads for one of the mounting bolts were messed up, so I had to re-tap it.. just pisses me off that they didn't even bother to do a quality check before they shipped them. yet another reason I will never buy from them again.
Separate companies. AVS is the company Coz used to copy the Z1 intercoolers. AMS uses CNRacing for most of their "R&D", meaning of course, rob and duplicate. Alloy Toys is the same company AMS uses to copy the Specialty Z expansion down pipes. (BTW, those copies aren't even stainless steel)

There are a few vendors with various levels of shady, and because one may or may not be a sponsor, I won't say anything further. However, you are 1000000% correct with this statement:
Cyman wrote: everyone should know and understand the can of worms you're opening by buying bargain parts off of ebay, but that never really was the point of why so many people hate AMS.. the reason is because they screwed over a s*** of people that are actually developing new parts for the Z32 community, and they are the #1 reason we don't see new parts coming out for our cars.
And that's where it really hurts :frown:

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”