Few interior related questions, Broadfield you may know.

NICO's official source for Nissan upholstery, carpet, headliners, and trim information!
Logan76
Car: Junk

alrighty, these are stupid and easy. What kind of Spray glue do you guys use? and from where? and where is a good place to buy padding for say an armrest? I want to refinish some of my civics interior and I dont have a clue where to get any of this stuff. thanks.

StandardProspect
Car: '93 240sx '98 Q45

i didnt use glue to reupholster my armrest. i only needed it for the doorpanels. i bought materials from jo-ann fabric. they have everything.

check my sig for doorpanel write-up

Broadfield
Car: 1992 240sx

I use a spray adhesive that can not be bought in stores. I get it through my distributor. If it's something that's going to be in a higher heat application and or the material has to be mega-stretched into a concave contour, then I use a 3M contact adhesive that has to be applied from a spray gun. It also depends on the type of material. If I am wrapping a fiberglass enclosure with carpet then I can use the standard spray adhesive regardless of the temperatures it may see. If's vinyl then I use the contact no matter what. The different glues will also tack up differently depending on the temperature in my garage. Summer is fast and winter is slow. For what it's worth, I do not like store bought 3M spray adhesive, but if that's all you can get, it should work just fine.

The padding I just get from a distributor or a local fabric store.

I recommend practicing on a piece of cardboard first. Just cut some small pieces of material and foam and see how they react together once you glue them together. If you are wrapping a piece that the backside will be hidden and the front doesn't have any concave areas, then you may not need glue at all..... like the armrest for example.

Toby Broadfield

Logan76
Car: Junk

Thanks for the input, we use 3M spray adhesive where I work to glue gaskets to pump cases, I was wondering if that would work. Thing is the Civic armrest is plastic so i couldnt wrap it and staple it, i would have to glue it somewhere, maybe just on the backside?

Broadfield
Car: 1992 240sx

You can easily staple into plastic. I use a air trim stapler that makes it the easiest thing to do in the world. I use a Senco brand..... nothing better. Of course mine is mega old school. The newer ones are black and blue casing. Here are some pics using some really short 1/8" staples. I am making a simple 8" sub woofer press fit grill for a fiberglass enclosure. The staples countersink into basically any material without any problem. Yet they do not rip through the really thin grill cloth. I use a range of 1/8" up to 3/4" depending if I am stapling thick carpet or going into thick material.

Return to “Interiors”