Fender work on a 94 Q45 (G50).

NICO's V.I.P. styling forum.
jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

I have bad rust on my rear quarters (at the fender wells). I had planned on having my body work done along with paint. Just the usual; roll, flare, and pull. My question is: Would it be better to just cut the bad spots out and put in fender flares or have the normal body work done? If so, which flares are recommended/used most often?

q45VIP
Car: 94' Q45t

For fender flares you would have to deal with the rear bumper as well.See pic ...

I had to make a cap so the rear bumper would follow the new line of the flare.

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Well, with seeing that, I will probably just roll and flare. My wheels are nowhere near that aggressive. Just need some room to breathe when the air goes on.

BLACKonBLACK98
Car: Q45, LS400, STS-V

normal body work when rust is involved requires cutting out the infected metal anyway so the only question is what do you want to replace it with.

no aftermarket flare options afaik. all metal custom flares are the way to go.

room to breath is a bad thing when flares are involved. to widen the arches but not run aggressive fitment is counter productive. if your wheels work with stock body then i wouldn't bother.

on the other hand, since you gotta go in there anyway it's an opportunity to step you game up. i.e. get your suspension on and some aggressive wheels then make em fit.

mista808
Car: G50 president

Is the rust rotted all the way through, or is it really bad surface rust? If it hasn't rotted through, you don't have to cut the area out, just use a grinder to get the bulk of the rust off, then go in with a pointed bit on a dremal and go into all the small knooks and cranies and get small rust out... go over the area with etching primer, or POR15, then do your thing...

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Well, I would like to get the flares so that way it would be done and I could get basically any wheels I want. At the same time, there's no telling when I may be able to get those wheels. So, if I do it and don't get the wheels for a year, I'll be riding around looking like an idiot.

On the other hand, the original plan was to have the fenders cut out, get used ones from a donor welded in, then strip it all down and shoot a fresh coat of paint.

Thoughts?

VIP Q45t
Car: 1994 Q45t

jltibbs wrote:Well, I would like to get the flares so that way it would be done and I could get basically any wheels I want. At the same time, there's no telling when I may be able to get those wheels. So, if I do it and don't get the wheels for a year, I'll be riding around looking like an idiot.

On the other hand, the original plan was to have the fenders cut out, get used ones from a donor welded in, then strip it all down and shoot a fresh coat of paint.

Thoughts?
If you go with flares, personally I would wait until you get rims . That way you know exactly how to contour them. So there nicely flush with the rims.

If the rust is really bad, then I would go with the donor plan. Then flare or pull the fenders when you get rims.

Return to “VIP Forum”