fender flares or rolled bumper for 510

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
SxMachine
Car: Im on a horse

I got some free flares for my dat when i bought the car. The front already has aftermarket flares. I been thinkin about rolling the rear fenders, much less work (and money). Good or bad idea? Anybody ever roll their dat fenders before? How'd it turn out?
Modified by SxMachine at 1:37 AM 5/27/2005

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I like the stockers myself, or the box style flares that better match the body's design, the rolled flairs look like they were stuck on, just my and my opinion

SR 240Z

im going to be doin the box flares on my 510 when i get around to it, but if you have flares on the front and nothing on the rear i think it looks kinda funky, if it was no flare front and flare in the rear it would be cool.

compression

First off, Dont flare it at all unless you plan on running a wheel/tire combo that will actually make use of the extra room that flares give you. otherwise, there is no point.There are too few 510's around, especially ones as nice as yours looks, to be doing unnecessary torture to the body panels while attempting to make it look like a racecar.In my opinion box flares are ugly, bubble flares (like on the front of your car) are not great looking either. If you can stick with stock size fenders, I think you would be happier in the long run.

When you ask about rolling, maybe we are thinking of different things....I have rolled all the rear fenders on the 510's I have owned in order to get descent tires under there. There is a lip under there that you have to slice and bend upward so it doesnt rub on the tire. Usually when I roll the rears, you cannot even tell that anything was done, it doesnt look pushed out all. You will not be able to roll it enough to make it looked "flared" in the rear.

IF you decide to mold-in some fibergalss rear flares, then god help you. They are very hard to do correctly, and will most likely end up in a dissaster of a rear quarter panel. In the old days, when these cars were prepped for the Trans Am racing, they would flare them with hand-sculpted metal flares, truely works of art.Just my opinion, leave the stock fenders on there and get an engine in that thing.

the doktah
Car: p510 rally car, 720 tray top

check out the flares on Baz's VQ30 projecthttp://www.datsport.com

VG30et510
Car: '72 datsun 510, '88 300zx shiro special

I made metal flairs for my wagon that work well and look pretty good. I will end up adding a layer of glass to add strength and get the final shape I want. And yes they were a necessity to run the 300zx hub/brake/wheel combo.

datsunboy
Car: Datsuns

I personally really don't like big box flares.....I think they ruin a 510....bubble flares are ok tho....but not too big.The factory shape suits me just fine

SxMachine
Car: Im on a horse

compression wrote:First off, Dont flare it at all unless you plan on running a wheel/tire combo that will actually make use of the extra room that flares give you. otherwise, there is no point.There are too few 510's around, especially ones as nice as yours looks, to be doing unnecessary torture to the body panels while attempting to make it look like a racecar.In my opinion box flares are ugly, bubble flares (like on the front of your car) are not great looking either. If you can stick with stock size fenders, I think you would be happier in the long run.

When you ask about rolling, maybe we are thinking of different things....I have rolled all the rear fenders on the 510's I have owned in order to get descent tires under there. There is a lip under there that you have to slice and bend upward so it doesnt rub on the tire. Usually when I roll the rears, you cannot even tell that anything was done, it doesnt look pushed out all. You will not be able to roll it enough to make it looked "flared" in the rear.

IF you decide to mold-in some fibergalss rear flares, then god help you. They are very hard to do correctly, and will most likely end up in a dissaster of a rear quarter panel. In the old days, when these cars were prepped for the Trans Am racing, they would flare them with hand-sculpted metal flares, truely works of art.Just my opinion, leave the stock fenders on there and get an engine in that thing.
I kinda agree with ya on leaving the side panels stock, but it just so happened i bought the car with the front bubble flares already on. I have one stock fender and its in the back seat. I was even considering putting it back on and buying a stock fiberglass replacement. The only other reason i was considering flaring the rear (aside from the front already being done) was because i also bought with the car (thrown in 4 free) were some fiberglass rear flares (along with some other fiberglass parts). I would prefer metal flares, i just got all these damn free parts and don't know what to do wit em. I do plan on running a nice fat wheel/tire combo on the dat tho. I just gotta figure out what body styling will go wit lets say some 16x10 wit like a mild positive offset

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

A few thoughts:

Don't use parts just because they were free. Trade the front fenders to someone for stockers and cash, and sell the rears - There's your wheels, paid for. Fiberglass 510 stuff usually requires a LOT of bodywork to fit right, and even then, it can look cheesy. Metal is the way to go.

16x10? On a 510? Good luck with that. Even a box-flared Dime won't accommodate 10" wheels. There's no need to go cartoonish. 15x7 with 205/50/15 will require a rolled fender front and rear, and look sweet.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”