feinting

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
ilovedrifting
Car: skateboarding and drifting

I have seen the word feint being used however, at the expense of being laughed at, im not sure what it is. What is feinting and how do you do it

Grip Gambler

thats like when u have low blood sugar, and fall down on the floor......

Anand

no laughing here.

gotta start somewhere... I recomend watching the Drift Bible!

in anycase here it is:

Feint DriftThis is performed by rocking the car towards the outside of a turn and then using the rebound of grip to throw the car into the normal cornering direction. This is heavy rally racing technique used to change vehicle attitudes during cornering.

1. On approach to a turn, steer your vehicle away from the direction of the turn you wish to be made. The distance you begin to turn your vehicle away from the turn depends on how fast you are traveling. When you turn your vehicle away from the direction of the turn you want to make, you are loading up your suspension on one side of your vehicle, compressing the springs so that when you turn in the opposite direction, your vehicle will "bounce" back to its desired direction. 2. Once your suspension is compressed on the side of your vehicle opposite of the turn you wish to make, quickly turn back in the opposite direction. This feint motion should be done smoothly, but not necessarily quickly. Turning your wheels too quickly in opposite directions will cause your vehicle to understeer.

3. After rebounding your vehicle back into its desired direction, get on the throttle. When combined with the rotational force of the rebound, the excessive throttle will send your vehicle into a drift. FWD vehicles can use the E-Brake instead of the throttle to induce oversteer.

4. When you feel the vehicle’s rear end kicking out, immediately countersteer the wheels to face straight with the road. Your vehicle will pull in the direction of the front wheels, as long as the wheels are still moving. Keep on the throttle. If you press the brakes or let off the throttle because your vehicle is in an extremely oversteered condition, you will spin out or leave the road.

5. When you wish to straighten out your car, after completing the drift, let off the throttle smoothly and straighten out the wheels as your vehicle kicks in line behind the front tires.

BTW, I did not write this... I stole it from an article that was written by the people at driftsession.com

ilovedrifting
Car: skateboarding and drifting

I got the drift bible from a freind of mine but the file was corrupt or something cuz it won't play. I need to get him to burn it for me again.

Anand

you welcome!

BuudWeizErr

meh, if your car is really stiff, i find the text definition of feinting to be kinda hard.

when i talk about feinting, i usually mean kinda drifting away from the turn, then using grip and weight transfer to throw the car the other way. if you do it right, you can initiate wayyyyy earlier and faster to keep you sideways through the turn.

its hard to explain. like if you start on the inside of the turn, way before you would initiate if you were on the outside of the turn, you could throw the car into a drift away from the turn so that you're sliding away from the turn / apex, then using throttle, brakes, ebrake, weight transfer, whatever to get the car to slide the other way and just hold it through the turn using gas and clutch kick as necessary to keep the slide going.

if you've ever seen the video of koguchi driving i think his green car where he does some obscene feint towards a wall that i think was green, and gets stupid angle going away from it, then into the turn. thats kinda what i'm talking about; feinting away from the turn allows him to start the drift into the turn earlier and hold it longer because the direction of travel.

sixxdeuce
Car: 93 rx7, G35coupe 6mt

good explanation chunki. I use this method often, if i understand you correctly. Basiclly initiate before the turn and slide towards the outside crossing over the more likely line. Then let off almost to the point of grip, and basiclly re-initiate at the outside and hold an outside line the rest of the turn leading inside towards the end.

I need to work on the changing direction part to make it a more smooth transition.

PGBrian

i'll take "haraguchi" for the win.he does nice feints.

BuudWeizErr

PGBrian wrote:i'll take "haraguchi" for the win.he does nice feints.
brian had a SEXXXXXXY feint in this video i have at willow springs.

too bad he couldn't hold it. http://www.sillbeer.com/temp/balcony1.zip

hot.

PGBrian

haha you know whats funny?as i was doing my last response, i thought about that video and then i watched it and once again wished i held it... but i didnt. i love low power. it's cute.

that was a pretty fun feintoooo, i think aaron was riding with me at the time.

in case any of you Vlade Divacs are wondering, i'm the black s14 at the end.

574-240sx
Car: Nissans, Toyotas, Subaru

Grip Gambler wrote:thats like when u have low blood sugar, and fall down on the floor......
Thats great jesse. You almost feinted at tire rack after you went hill jumping at tire rack.

Grip Gambler

Feinting ROCKS!

BuudWeizErr

Grip Gambler wrote:
Feinting ROCKS!
yeah, this is a possible outcome of feinting away from a turn. if you understeer, or it doesn't whip around like it's supposed to, then you are in trouble. i have a picture of me eating some hay bales that took out a whole row of fins on my intercooler due to that same thing. it's just practice practice practice.

another thing about feinting is that if you do the by the books feint, i used to understeer a lot, and most beginners do as well. and it's fairly obvious why, you are violently taking traction away from the front wheels by trying to turn out, then in. plus beginners see any slide, front wheels or back as indication that they are drifting, so they just get on the gas, taking even more traction off of the front wheels.

if you really want to do it by the books, enter the turn slightly hot, then get on the front brakes enough to transfer weight to the front, and forcefully, but not violently turn the wheel out, then in, once it starts to step out, on the gas... plus you can use clutch kick or ebrake if the car needs a little extra persuasion.

this is all kinda advanced stuff. i stick to my recommendation for beginners. clutch kick or ebrake. stick to basics. it think any variation of feinting is a slightly more advanced technique.

BuudWeizErr

as i was saying...

l3ooherS14
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx S14

[Q]gotta start somewhere... I recomend watching the Drift Bible![/Q]

Word!

bcar240
Car: 1993 240SX HB

yep, drift bible is a useful show. But don't watch it and try stuff like feinting right off the bat. Get used to just sliding and control first. I had the same problem with the drift bible, the one I downloaded was corrupt, I got another dl somewhere, but I can't find it now .

accel junky

Good detailled stuff. I've been wondering the same thing.

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”