Favorite bass players.

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
1unar3clipse
Car: 93 240sx HB, 01 Dodge Dakota SLT

94_240sx wrote:Other Metallica bass players suck.
Woah there thats kinda generalizing.

Jason Newstead is actually quite talented its just that the band always had his amp zoned down, not to mention as a newcomer he did not have much say in any of the mastering or writing.

I mean come on.. Voivod? Flotsam & Jetsam? he was good when he wasn't in craptallica.

Same for Robert Trujillo... Suicidal Tendencies? Infectious Grooves? Black Label Society? hell even Ozzy.You can't even blame him for anything off St. Anger because craptallica used a session bassist for the album recording.. he was just a live player that became permanent.

I'll say that Metallica has been blessed with good bassist's the band just never respected/utilized any of them after Cliff died.

and mind you Les Claypool tried out for craptallica and they told him that he was too good.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Don't forget Kenny Passarelli.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RswXva_aUZs

ddrumman
Car: 08 FX35 39,000 mi, 07 G35 55,500 mi, 72 MGB

An interesting thread. As someone already mentioned there is NO such thing as THE BEST. There is however a higher level of understanding within the different musical styles, feels, various harmonic languages, professionalism and ability of playing ANYTHING that you get a call for. My favorite musicians are always the guys that can do many different things and don't put themselves into a box.

I usually don't discuss musicians like that but for the sake of this thread here are some of my favorite bass players:Jaco Pastorius, Anthony Jackson, Jimmy Johnson, (NOT from the 70s Brothers Jonhson)Tom Barney, Ron Carter, Ray Brown, Pino Palladino, John Patitucci, Eddie Gomez, Rocco Prestia, Marcus Miller, Stanley ClarkeJimmy Haslip,Esperanza SpaldingRichard Bona, Jeff BerlinVictor Wooten……………….I’m sure I’m forgetting quite a few more like Gary Willis please forgive me.

As far as "slapping" in pop music go back and check out "stomp" by the "Bros Johnson" from .......wow the late 70s.

Modified by ddrumman at 12:00 AM 6/27/2009
Modified by ddrumman at 8:21 PM 6/27/2009

MeanGreenS13
Car: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

VICTOR WOOTEN! from Dave Matthews Band...

If you have no idea who he is, CHECK HIM OUT! he will blow your mind!

other than that, Claypool is really good

mzeo
Car: RIP Coupe, RIP

Tom Jenkinson - SquarepusherGeddy Lee - RushGeezer Butler - Black SabbathCliff Burton - MetallicaLes Claypool - Primus (who actually auditioned for Metallica after Burton's passing)John Myung - Dream TheaterChris Squire - YesSteve Harris - Iron Maiden

I'm sure there's more, those are just off the top of my head.

MeanGreenS13
Car: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

to the person that said mudvayne is mediocre... I guess thats why they are a signed, national touring act, and your not...

Ryan from mudvane is one of VERY FEW bassists in rock/metal of any type that understands a bassists place in a band. Part of the rhythm section. A bassist is meant to go with the drums, not guitars.

If you listen carefully to mudvayne, alot of what ryan does, goes right off kick drums. he rarely follows greg directly, even when it seems like he is.

Griz
Car: and not one of them useful in the least.

1. Ryan Martinine (Mudvayne)2. Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big, now in Steve Vai's band)3. Les Claypool (Primus)4. Dan Trinklein (Civil Disobedience)

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

The first couple posts in the thread were exactly what I came here to post.

But I will say: Paul McCartney and John Entwistle.

All this talk about favorites reminds me of a Nikki Sixx quote, I forgot what magazine interview it was, but he said something like, "There are lots of good bass players, but I wouldn't think they were cool if I didn't like their band." Therefore talent is only part of the craft. There are alot of people who will give all the credit to one member of the band because they identify with them, but it can get comical.
Last edited by seang on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

Shavo sucks and is nothing but a clown, trust me. Sorry had to get that out.

Robert Trujillo FTMFW - Infectious was the SHEEET
Victor Wooten - saw him do an entire song in false harmonics in a small bass shop
Les Claypool
Stu Hamm
Tim Commerford is very underrated
Stuart Zender (Jamiroquai) - Met him years ago at a club in Hollywood called Luna Park
Squarepusher is insane
Jaco Pastorius - RIP

Gabes13
Car: rb20det s13

There are some really good bassists listed,
and some really weak ones.
Just because you sell millions of records,
doesn't mean you're good.

Billy Sheehan
Victor Wooten
Jaco Pastorious
Marcus Miller
Larry Graham.

flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

mzeo wrote:John Myung - Dream Theater

/thread

kamakazi620
Car: 620 datto

after reading everyones posts you guys forgot Peter Cetera!!!! j/k!! hahahaahaa I agree with most of ya on yer picks

captainfalco
Car: S14,MX83

Mike Watt of the Minutemen
Klaus Flouride - Dead Kennedys
Matt Freeman - Rancid

Return to “The Music Room”