Favorable VIP engine & transmission configurations.

NICO's V.I.P. styling forum.
Kalypso

what are your thoughts for creative power plants we can put in VIPcars, especially the Q series... ( and M series also )with their V motors ( VH41 and Vh45, I dont know all of them yet )

How much power can we get out of a vh45 and is it worth it?

what are the best engines to put into a VIP sedan. and also what about Manual transmissions... shifter position and custom driveshaft/mounts.

this thread could explode... any thoughts?

Modified by Kalypso123 at 10:27 PM 11/10/2008

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Well, if you are planning to track it, go all out and do the RB swap. Or, if you just want to have a little bit of an upper hand, you can do upwards of a 150 shot and there is an adapter plate to mate a Z32 5MT to the VH45DE (90-96 Q).

TBrack
Car: none

My setup for the G50, given I had the money, would be:

rebuilt vh45 (twin remote mount turbos anyone?)300zxtt 5-speedskyline 4:08 diff

That combo would give you more power and make the car more fun to drive imo.

Kalypso

RB sounds like its the way of the wise... or 2jz with the right wiring diagram.
jltibbs wrote:there is an adapter plate to mate a Z32 5MT to the VH45DE (90-96 Q).
post link please
lasoyafan wrote:
rebuilt vh45 (twin remote mount turbos anyone?)300zxtt 5-speedskyline 4:08 diff

That combo would give you more power and make the car more fun to drive imo.
hell yeah it would.

Twin remote mount turbos we should explore at length. either here or in a whole new thread.

but is there anyone making cams, springs, valves, and other VH45 hardware for the head?

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

I'm thinking LS1 w/ a 4L60/80E or a 2JZ w/ the same tranny. Probably keep it auto w/ a gear vendor overdrive (6 speed auto), and end up with a nasty sounding engine combo that will still put my Y33 into the 12s.

Have fun w/ the twin remote mount turbos. All the piping, potential oil problems, etc.....no thanks. Give me an N/A V8 or 2J single turbo reliability anyday. I want to be able to still hop in it everyday and drive it w/out worrying about something going wrong.

As far as manuals go...T56 would be my first choice. Question...what about a clutch pedal? Not that it would be too hard to put one in, but I can't imagine it being fun (and on the Y33...contending w/ the foot emergency brake that might get in the way).

Osis
Car: Currently 1998 Infiniti Q45, Previously 1996 Nissan Leopard

If your going to all the trouble anyway might as well just put a handbrake in the center too...

TBrack

I would hate to see a VIP car with anything but a Japanese motor. It's like putting fried chicken in your sushi

Kalypso

actually... with a slice of avocado... that would be delicious.

2j with the 4L60 isnt a bad move... but why not the standard 2j tranny? adapter plates are expensive.

cnichols

lasoyafan wrote:I would hate to see a VIP car with anything but a Japanese motor. It's like putting fried chicken in your sushi
Bleh...don't wanna hear it. I think putting a manual in a "VIP" car causes it to be less VIP than an American engine. Where it comes from means nothing to me. Having the best combination for my goals does. All this keep it in the family crap is for newbies. True enthusiasts are open-minded and objective to new ideas. Sounds like you need to go buy a rotary car and preach about how anything else in it robs it's soul.
Kalypso123 wrote:2j with the 4L60 isnt a bad move... but why not the standard 2j tranny? adapter plates are expensive.
Definitely still thinking about keeping the stock 2J tranny, but with a GM tranny, a gear vendors overdrive is a possibility. I could even use a TH350 and have a 6 speed auto in addition to the availability of a manual valvebody and transbrake for extra fun. :D Not to mention the aftermarket and power handling capabilites. Also, an old school TH simplifies the wiring immensely...even over the 4L60/80. I'm all about easy to work on and simplicity...makes life so much easier and keeps your car on the road longer (i.e. - LS1 swapped S14 on the road for 2 years strong and still going w/ no problems).

Kalypso

a manual trans isnt the best way to go in a vip car. unless its a 07 or 08. then its not so much about nostalgia anymore.

There might still be alot of untapped potential from the VH engines.I'll have to spend more time in their forum to learn that.

i'd be willing to pull one out.

rebore it, shot peen the rods get custom pistonsreplace all the gaskets,and add more aggressive cams (if they even exists)

after all it is a nissan engine.
cnichols wrote:Also, an old school TH simplifies the wiring immensely...even over the 4L60/80.
what if any wiring is required. im lost, as of know I believed, an auto tran was purely a mechanical deal?
cnichols wrote:All this keep it in the family crap is for newbies. True enthusiasts are open-minded and objective to new ideas.

TBrack

cnichols wrote:Bleh...don't wanna hear it. I think putting a manual in a "VIP" car causes it to be less VIP than an American engine. Where it comes from means nothing to me. Having the best combination for my goals does. All this keep it in the family crap is for newbies. True enthusiasts are open-minded and objective to new ideas. Sounds like you need to go buy a rotary car and preach about how anything else in it robs it's soul.
Oh please, don't go around calling people newbs and bash me as a car enthusiast. I'll bite my tongue about this because you are a mod but just know I take what you say with the smallest grain of salt conceivable.

cnichols

Kalypso123 wrote:There might still be alot of untapped potential from the VH engines.I'll have to spend more time in their forum to learn that.

i'd be willing to pull one out.

rebore it, shot peen the rods get custom pistonsreplace all the gaskets,and add more aggressive cams (if they even exists)

what if any wiring is required. im lost, as of know I believed, an auto tran was purely a mechanical deal?
Haven't ruled out keeping the VH, but the LSx and 2J would not only look better in there and make more power, but they would be much simpler and easier to work on. It's currently a cluster***k in there and I want nothing to do with it. Just seems like a lot of $$ and work to stick with it.

Newer auto transmissions have their own control computers normally, but with the older TH transmissions, there is only a couple of sensors (reverse lights, speed maybe) because the shifts were controlled mechanically, not electronically.
lasoyafan wrote:
Oh please, don't go around calling people newbs and bash me as a car enthusiast. I'll bite my tongue about this because you are a mod but just know I take what you say with the smallest grain of salt conceivable.
Don't hold back because I'm a mod...not like I'm going to ban you for stating your opinion....I just don't agree with it because there's no good reason for a statement like that.

Kalypso

cnichols wrote:Haven't ruled out keeping the VH, but the LSx and 2J would not only look better in there and make more power, but they would be much simpler and easier to work on.
I hear that
cnichols wrote:but with the older TH transmissions, there is only a couple of sensors (reverse lights, speed maybe) because the shifts were controlled mechanically, not electronically.
I hear that also.

an adapter strikes me as the only thing I couldnt make myself.

plasma cutter, and 3/8" thick sheet metal. but how would you setup the tranny and block perfectly to get exact alignment

the_momo
Car: 1997 VW Golf K2 (His)/ 2001 Black Lexus IS300 (Hers)

If i have my way, my q should be both manual (z32 5 spd with mazworks adaptor) and supercharged ( i have been working on a sc kit similar to the thomas knight kit, m90) within a yeah and a half.

potential job and relocation has halted a lot of progress, but when the q isnt my daily, itll be on for sure.

as far as the ebrake, i was thinking of doing away with the pedal ebrake, using a hydraulic ebrake and using a floor mounted wilwood clutch setup. should be alot easier than trying to do a firewall mounted clutch and keeping the pedal ebrake. plus it should be easy enough to make it look presentable.

we shall see...

cnichols

Kalypso123 wrote:
an adapter strikes me as the only thing I couldnt make myself.

plasma cutter, and 3/8" thick sheet metal. but how would you setup the tranny and block perfectly to get exact alignment
There's probably already one made.

What do you mean by exact alignment?

Kalypso

cnichols wrote:There's probably already one made.
Im not finding these plates you speak of
cnichols wrote:
What do you mean by exact alignment?
Fabricating an adapter seems like the biggest challenge right?so lets say we have two unfamiliar donors...

a 2jzgte, and a TH350 transmission.

the adapter plate needs two set of bolt holes for the varied positions of the bolts. a set for the block, and a set for the trans.

but If the holes for the trans are slightly off, the transmission input shaft from the th350 doesnt enter the clutch disk-and rear of the 2J block straight and true!

hence forth, making an adapter plate takes lots of skill. and more outlandish engine combos become tough.whats a good technique for aligning, measuring, cutting, and drilling the plates.

If I learned this, there's no car I couldnt build... ( with a little more welding experience of course )

cnichols

Not sure who makes them, but a 2J --> TH adapter plate exists as I've seen one in person.

How to make them properly, I do not know. Sometimes it is possible to cast a new bellhousing that will mate the two, and I could see the need for a new input shaft in certain cases, but I am no expert in the matter.

youngq45r
Car: Red 1993 Infiniti Q45- Was Granny Driven Perfect... Until I got T Boned...

Kalypso123 wrote:

after all it is a nissan engine.
Keep reading through the Q forum. i read somewhere that there was a guy out there somewhere that would relobe the stock cam's to whatever you wanted... idk if i would trust a relobed cam, need to research more.

But believe me man, i have been trying to come up with more ways for power with the vh. out her in cali im not even going to try and do a swap and keep in smog regs. becides, have you ever heard that car with exhaust? I took mine off 4 a few days. cat back GONE!! DAMN DID it sound beastly!! forget those 4.6 mustangs, they sound like ponys compared to the Q. But, Qsiguy's got a rear mount turbo q. you must have seen or read about it. Damn things quick.

Now about the drivtrain... Level 10 tranny with a stall would b a good start. idk how big of a stall you could go but its better than that stockie POS. 4.08 are nice, messes up with the speed-O. but you can use a speed sencer from a J20 to get a bit closer. make sure to post whatever you find. we could all use the info.thanks

Kalypso

youngq45r wrote:
make sure to post whatever you find. we could all use the info.thanks
No doubt bro, this thread will be around for a while.

slybydesignq45t
Car: City Bus

lasoyafan wrote:I would hate to see a VIP car with anything but a Japanese motor. It's like putting fried chicken in your sushi
LOL This is my new favorite saying of the week....

Kalypso

youngq45r wrote:make sure to post whatever you find. thanks
bart over in the VH45 forum, twin turboed his VH41!!

zer...age=3

Realdeal180SX
Car: 2003 Corolla LE

^^ Damn that ****'s nuts!

If my car was N/A, I would think about a Z32TT swap. But I think I'll just build the VG30DET, maybe make 400whp someday then have a TT auto trans.

Hirata Engineering made over 800whp on their Gloria http://www.superstreetonline.c....html

Kalypso

it uses two oil coolers!!!!

Koshin
Car: JP'd out Y32 Gloria GTU, 750 hp '87 Grand National, '63 Impala SS 327/4 speed

nice

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

VQ30DET.if you want manual, 350Z tranny.want higher compression & more disp, swap in VQ35 internals.throw on another turbo if you'd like too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I4n7mUR ... v8WczSiQSI[/endthread]

PantherRacer

Realdeal180SX wrote:^^ Damn that ****'s nuts!

If my car was N/A, I would think about a Z32TT swap. But I think I'll just build the VG30DET, maybe make 400whp someday then have a TT auto trans.

Hirata Engineering made over 800whp on their Gloria http://www.superstreetonline.c....html
I tell ya, super street sucks. third paragraph in and there's already spelling errors and misinformation abound. it's a V6 not a straight 6!!!!! lol

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Funny how some think repalcing an all alloy V8 with a iron block 6 with less capacity but exxentially the same weight is a good idea.

Might want to check out the VH/VK Forums to see a different point of view.

PantherRacer

I stand even more firmly by the VQ30DET after driving my car today.

DJ Raijin
Car: 1992 300ZX 2+0 T Top NA

Kalypso123 wrote:
Im not finding these plates you speak of
http://www.mazworx.com has the adapter plate for the Z32 tranny to VH45DE. They also just created a 272 cam for the VH45. SuperHatch just got his set of 272 cams for this S14 drag car. Though he's got an insane stall on his and there won't be a dyno run because of it.

But they machine shop he took his heads to said the cams should be good for 30-50whp and another 2000rpm of powerband. So since the powerband ends around 6300rpm, it should (theoretically) make power to 8300rpm. Also, I believe he has his VH mated to a TH400 or TH350 transmission. So you might want to talk to him about an adapter plate, though I would think the Q45 transmission would be fine, it is, after all, pretty closely related to the Z32TT automatic transmission.

I highly suggest lurking around the VH/VK forums more if you really want to look for power. Those guys are doing some big things with a relatively unknown motor (compared to the 6 cylinder twin turbos and turbocharged inline 4s that dominate the import scene).

Return to “VIP Forum”