Far spark plug removal

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Htsf
Car: 1993 J30

Anyone know how to get the last spark plug on the right hand side out? If your looking at the engine with the hood open it would be where the 'x' is in this formation:
X Y
Y Y
Y Y

Closest to the firewall on the passenger side of the car. There's a tube or wire that's blocking it. I couldn't disconnect the SP wires on this one because of the tube or wire blocking it. I got the car less than 1700 miles ago and I feel like it's misfiring. I can get to all other 5 cylinders with no problem. I'd post a picture but I'm on my typing this on my phone.

I tried to pull codes when I got it but the instructions here on how to get the ECM out were a bit confusing. I'll try it again today and see if I was only using a quarter of my brain the last time I tried it...

But if anyone knows exactly how to remove the spark plug it would help a lot.

Sorry if this is a jumbled mess.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Hi and welcome to NICO!

I'd love to help you out, but I'm not familiar with the J30 engine bay. In this case, a picture would help a ton.

However, try out another angle. Jack up the car and try to get at it from underneath. This is pretty common in newer engine layouts. I have to get 3/8 of mine from the bottom in my LS1.

Htsf

Here's a close-up:

I need to disconnect what's circled in green but the thing in red (excuse my ignorance with this car) is obstructing it's removal.

Thanks for the help by the way!

rwhite
Car: 1996 J30

unhook the vacuum line and the 2 10mms bolt hold the fuel filter looking thing. Everything will move out of the way enough to get the plug out

frapjap
'07 Subaru Legacy

^
What he said.
And damn, that is annoying.

Htsf

Those bolts are stripped. I got home late last night and the sun had pretty much set. I guess I'll brake out the pipe wrench today :/

And does anyone know the most common reasons for leaking power steering fluid in the J30? And if we can use regular stop-leak fluid since these use ATF as power steering fluid? Maybe transmission stop leak would work...

Thanks for the help again guys!

frapjap
'07 Subaru Legacy

^ It might work, but might also jam up the lines. You're better off jacking up the car and cleaning off all of the power steering lines. After you've done that, drive it for a bit and see if you can isolate where the leak is coming from and replace that part.

j30newb
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30 Base model.

Easy, I actually just did the plugs on my 93 J30, all you need to do is simple.

1. pull that little by pass line
2. unbolt the unit (but don't do anything else to it)
3. You'll need an extension and a swivel (trust me the swivel helps)
4. Unbolt the coil it'll pop right out
5. proceed to change the plug
---YOU DO NOT NEED TO DISCONNECT FUEL LINES I PROMISE YOU THAT!!

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”