Fan shroud on 521

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
zetajunkie

Does anyone use a fan shroud on their 521?  my 71 didn't have one, but the engine bay looked kind of frankenstein'd together (it had a radiator from a 67 roadster in it), and the 72 has an aftermarket radiator with 2 electric fans.  the 72 is the one i'm currently resurrecting.  the pull from the 2 fans really hits my rpms, so i want to either get rid of one of the electric fans, or use the the other radiator with a stock fan.  Any suggestions? i had the radiator out of the 71 rebuilt, so either one should be good for actual cooling.

oh, side note, do your radiators have an overflow, or are they sealed? the replacement top on the 71's radiator has an overflow (i can't remember if it had one before), and my aftermarket one does not.  the cap on the aftermarket one won't go all the way on though (i need to notch the front so the cap will sit flush) so after a highway trip, antifreeze will leak from the cap...

datsunexcells

zetajunkie, The 521 came with the nipple on the side of the filler neck and the hose from it ran down the side of the radiator, to neatly dump the steam/anti-freeze overflow down below the frame. The 521 Pick-up that I have now, came with an overflow tank cobbled into the system in such a way, that the hose was kinked, so it didn't allow coolant into the tank. The other 521s I owned had the radiator shroud with just the drain hose, and I never had a problem with over- heating. I went to install the radiator on my truck last week, and after being out of the truck since last summer, and found the upper tank 1/2 full of DECON, thanks to the rodents. One mounting bracket was broken loose, so I installed my rebuilt radiator. I have an extra fan shroud if you want it, for the cost of shipping. John

zetajunkie

I'd definitely be interested in the shroud.  i appreciate your looking out.   Pm me with how you want to go about the deal. 
oh, side question - there isn't a fan clutch on your water pump, right?

datsunexcells

zetajunkie, The only fan I've seen on the 521s is the white nylon fans. I can't recall ever seeing a clutch fan on any Datsun; they were mainly used to allieviate horsepower drain on engines, after engine temperature was achieved, especially for ones with  the heavy metal fans.

datsunexcells

zetajunkie, Do you also need a fan? John

IMH

[user=423]datsunexcells[/user] wrote: [quote]zetajunkie, The only fan I've seen on the 521s is the white nylon fans. I can't recall ever seeing a clutch fan on any Datsun; they were mainly used to allieviate horsepower drain on engines, after engine temperature was achieved, especially for ones with  the heavy metal fans.[/quote]Many Datsuns did have clutch fans.  I've even seen late 520's with J13's that had them.  On the L series 4 cylinder some came with them and some didn't.  On the ones that had them the clutch was an integral part of the water pump.  On the L series 6 cylinder it was a separate unit.

zetajunkie

I have a fan, but i would like the fan shroud.  How shall we proceed? I'm in las vegas, so posting it would probably be the best bet.  send me a message as to how much you need to cover shipping?

thanks, you rock!

oh, anything in particular you need?  my reference truck, is rusty, but over all it's straight....

datsunexcells

zetajunkie, I'll need your address; I got the right sized box when Lance send the bumperettes to me, so I'll pack it up, it afterI get your address. I'll let you know what the shipping is, and round it off to the nearest dollar. You can just mail it to me. John

zetajunkie

@IMH  -  thanks for the info.  the 71 has the no clutch set up, and i was going to copy that.  if it doesn't rain tommorow, i hope to have the engine/trans back in the 72....

@ datsunexcell - i pm'd you my addy..  thanks!

DATSUN1300UTE

my 69 521 J13 doesnt have a fan clutch

Mitch

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”