Failure of Occupant Detection Sensor $6,185.91 On 2012 G37

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
jillmk
Car: 2012 Infiniti G37 Convertible

I own a 2012 G37 convertible. I am 3 months out of the 4 year warranty and the car has under 50,000 miles on it. The air bag light started blinking and the failure code is due to the internal failure of the occupant detection sensor. The bottom of the seat needs replacing at the cost of over $6000. The labor is only $348. I have called Infiniti USA and asked for some type of assistance with this part as I can not afford to pay for it. I was advised that they could not do anything to help me and furthermore this is a safety hazard and the passenger side air bag will not deploy if in an accident and to get this fixed right away. I was told that they are seeing this problem more and more. I'm confused at the fact that this problem is dangerous enough to charge over $6000 for but not dangerous enough to recall. Has anyone else had this failure in or out of warranty? if out of warranty was there any consideration from Infiniti?

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

$6000 is an insane amount for one seat.

I found this one ebay for under $1000

ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

Contact the NHTSA with your problem and be sure to mention that Infiniti seems to be getting more of this same problem reported.

I wouldn't pay that price. I'd get a junkyard seat or go without it for now. Keep on the lookout for a part out.

jillmk

darylzero thank you. I am checking into this now. Yes, I was shocked at the price of this sensor even for an Infiniti. I've replaced sensors before and they have been nowhere near this price on my other cars.
armedaviator thank you as well, I will call NHTSA. I wish I could go without it but this is my only car and I drive my kids in it.

Jesda

Same has been happening with GM vehicles, specifically the Solstice and Sky.

Are the parts made by the same manufacturer?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Just for fun, I looked up the warranty information (p5). https://owners.infinitiusa.com/content/ ... y_2012.pdf

It appears that the airbags/restraint systems are covered under 72 month/70k mile warranty. They are considered covered under the "powertrain" warranty. I'm not showing anything in the warranty information from Infiniti that indicates this wouldn't be covered free of charge. This definitely falls under the category of "air bags and related electronic control systems".

jillmk

I thought so too and they are saying no, it's the 4 yr/60,000. I talked with an Infiniti USA representative and she was very unhelpful and said they will not help at all nor would she transfers me to her supervisor. She did however give me information if my attorney wanted to contact them.

jillmk

Jesda, I'm currently researching all avenues. I'm not sure yet who makes the part but I told now that the part is actually $6400 and the total for install is a little over $6700

Jesda

lol "powertrain"

Those shady SOBs.

jillmk

Does anyone know if an accident to the drivers side door would cause the passenger side sensor to fail. This is when the light went on. The drivers side door was bent back toward the front of the car. The entire door had to be replaced along with a front panel. There were heavy items in the passenger seat. If there is a correlation between the 2, my insurance may cover it.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

In my opinion you have 3 options at this point:

1. Continue fighting it and maybe get somewhere 6 months from now if you're lucky.
2. Bend over and take it from the dealer for the $6700
3. Fix it yourself.

It still seems pretty cut and dry that the airbag detection sensor is part of the "airbag and related electronic controls".. It's not your fault that it's part of the seat, and clearly to me it's stated it's covered in the warranty information.

I wouldn't think that a hit on the passenger side door would have much to do with the seat sensor failing. It's worth a shot (i've heard of crazier), but I wouldn't hold your breath.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

If it were me, I would try a new dealer with the "airbag and related electronic controls" as part of the power train or whatever.

Nissan used to warranty safety features for the lifetime of the vehicle, but I guess that changed...

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

frapjap wrote:If it were me, I would try a new dealer with the "airbag and related electronic controls" as part of the power train or whatever.

Nissan used to warranty safety features for the lifetime of the vehicle, but I guess that changed...
I'm not 100% sure if that's true. I thought it was 10 years for the airbags and seat belts? That's what I recall from my Q45 days..?

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

elwesso wrote:
frapjap wrote:If it were me, I would try a new dealer with the "airbag and related electronic controls" as part of the power train or whatever.

I'm not 100% sure if that's true. I thought it was 10 years for the airbags and seat belts? That's what I recall from my Q45 days..?
I found this, but its for Nissan and its from older vehicles:
Page 32 LIFETIME SEAT BELT LIMITED WARRANTY

WHO IS THE WARRANTOR
Nissan* warrants all parts of your xxxx Nissan vehicle seat belt system supplied by Nissan.

*Nissan indicates Nissan Motor Corporation in U.S.A., P.O. BOX 191, Gardena, California 90248-0191, which provides Consumer Service for Nissan vehicles in the Continental United States

WHAT IS COVERED AND FOR HOW LONG
This warranty covers any Nissan supplied seat belt or related component. that fails to function properly during normal use for the useful life of the vehicle. Warranty repairs are free of charge for parts and labor.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
Damage or failure due to misuse, alteration, accident or collision damage. (proper use is outlined in your OWNER'S MANUAL)

Color fading,spotting or other cosmetic items when the belt is otherwise functioning properly.

Air bags and related electronic control systems which are covered by the Powertrain warranty.

EXTRA EXPENSES - LIMITATIONS OF DAMAGES
THIS WARRANTY DOSE NOT COVER INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES SUCH AS LOSS OF THE USE OF THE VEHICLE INCONVENIENCE OR COMMERCIAL LOSS.
However, I also found this in a google search:
https://owners.infinitiusa.com/content/ ... -guide.pdf

Pages 14-17 have the bulk of what the OP is looking for in regards to next steps with an unresponsive dealer over safety concerns.

HEH
Car: 2006 Infiniti FX35

I recently took my 2006 Infiniti FX35 to the dealer for a passenger airbag light. They told me the seat sensor was bad and needed to be replaced. $5000 (4k for the part and 1K for labor, tax, etc). I about died! My car is only worth about 2500. I called all over to find help getting some kind of after market or used part but nobody wanted to touch it since it had to do with the airbag.

Found a guy who runs an import repair shop who said he could do it. Found a used seat, guy installed it. $367 total! ($160 for part which was a whole passenger seat and $207 for labor). I could only find a tan seat. I only needed the bottom, but got the whole thing with shipping for only $160. The leather comes off easily and the shop wrapped my existing leather over the used tan seat.

This shop saved me about $4500. Shop name is: Precision Imports in Milaca MN. Owner is Tony. They rock!

Return to “General Chat”