Faded window trim

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
allstate48
Car: 2004 fx 35

Always liked the chrome trim around the newer Fx's windows, decided to use the chrome vinyl strip on my 2004 FX, looked really good but faded over time, had to replace every two summers.
Just recently, on a very hot day I pulled the old chrome strip off to replace it and I was really surprised when along with the strip of old chrome vinyl trim, a layer of rubber like coating came off the trim above the windows and what was underneath that rubber like material, a strip of really pretty chrome like metal.
That faded part is vinyl, rubber or something like it glued to metal. Very nice shiny chrome like metal. The problem is removing that material, the glue used is tough. The trim over the small rear window is still black and shiny, I'm not sure what's under that.
I'll probably strip some material from the trim over the rear window just to see if it's shiny metal or what. I plan to cover it with chrome vinyl trim if necessary anyway.
Gotta go.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”