Factory paint mark on timing chain?

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
jrc2905
Car: 2000 Altima

I am replacing the timing chains on my 2000 Altima due to a failure of the lower chain adjuster.
I have done Sentra timing chains before and I am familiar with the procedures.
I have both the factory and after market manuals for the Altima.
When I was able to see the lower chain timing mark on the crankshaft, there was a yellow link and right after that the next link had a paint mark on it.
The painted link was on the crankshaft timing mark and it looked as if the crankshaft mark also had some paint applied to it. I could tell that this engine has never been apart and this is how it came from the factory.
I have not received my timing chain rebuild kit yet so I do not know if there is any information contained it that.
I am thinking that the painted mark my be a result to the setting changing depending on the rotation of the engine. But this makes no sense to me.
With all the work involved in taking this engine apart I will not put it back together until I know what is up with this painted link.
Any help is appreciated and if anyone has the number of links between chain marks that would help too.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Does the FSM not specify?

jrc2905

Why is the yellow link followed by a painted link that is on the crankshft gear mark?

jrc2905

Well I finally figured it out. The yellow link and paint mark were placed on the upper timing chain idler sprocket at the factory. It just so happened that this link was on the crankshaft mark when I set #1 at TDC and removed the timing chain cover. I reset the cams and chains so that all is correct and the silver link is on the crankshaft mark.
Simply put the factory uses four yellow links for upper marks and one silver link for the crankshaft mark.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Thanks for replying with the answer. Maybe it will help someone else down the road.

WD

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”