factory air filter?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
dstarke
Car: 2001 Pathfinder 3.5

I changed my air filter about 4 months ago and shortly after I had a problem with my mass air flow sensor. I tried to clean the MAF but it seems to be dead. I just ordered a new MAF and the Nissan guy warned me to only use Nissan factory air filters. He believes that the air filter I used may have caused the MAF to break. Has anyone heard of this? Can I use a aftermarket air filter or should I pay up for a Nissan factory filter? Could the air filter have caused my MAF to die?????

Thanks for the help

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

Yes, aftermarket filters which are oiled, good example is K&N, and most cone style filters. The oil off them gunks up the MAF for sure. OEM filters and their equivalent counterparts are mostly paper and are safer. but try cleaning the MAF before anything else. Just be very careful with it, spray it with some electrical contact cleaner, let it dry out, and reinstall. This is not a part you want to break, as the MAF itself supposedly is expensive. How much did u pay?

dstarke
Car: 2001 Pathfinder 3.5

Thanks for the info. I tried cleaning the old MAF and I still had the same problems. I just installed the new MAF and it seems to be running much better (no more engine knock or rough starts). After getting a used MAF from a salvage yard (which was no good) I wound up paying $250 for one from NAPA. I do have one more question, although the car seems to be running much better can you tell me how I can reset the check engine light?

Thanks,

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

You can go to any AutoZone or Kragen and rent an "OBD2 scanner" it is free to rent. Do it in the parking lot. Just plug it in under the steering column, click the ignition to ON , go through the code and then press "RESET CODE"

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”