Exterior Maintenance

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
bdg55
Car: 2007 G35 Coupe M6

Having spent 6 years car free (live and work downtown and rented as needed) I seem to have lost touch with what are the best products to clean and maintain the exterior.

Can anyone give some suggestions so I can keep my new baby clean?

(for example a chamois to clean finger/palm oil off? what to clean the wheels with?)

thanks for any help in keeping this clean!

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

*shivers* I looove black G's. But having owned a black car...I can't bring myself to owning one again anytime soon.

Your car looks super sweet!!! But you will be washing her frequently to keep it looking that way!

Hope this helps...

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=183170

If you do a quick search though you will find other threads about car care!

let us know if you have any questions!

ACoupe

Autopia is an outstanding detailing forum:http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/

As for my personal, over-the-counter items I use:

Wash: Meguires Gold Class Shampoo

Wax: Meguires NXT Tech Paste Wax (for the once a month waxing)

Spray Wax: Meguires Quick Wax (for the every other week waxing)

Dash and Trim protectant: 303 Aerospace Protectant (MUCH better for your dash, vinyl and plastics than Armour All. It's basically a sun-screen for your inside! Highly recommended)

Glass:Stoners Invisible Glass (outstanding product!)

Leather: Haven't done it yet, but I hear Zymol is outstanding as well (needs to be ordered online)

Tires: Meguires Endurance Tire Protectant

Drying and detailing: Microfibre towels (drying and detailing towels)

All of the above is available at Canadian Tire except the Zymol. There are better wax products out there, but I haven't found any locally so I will end up ordering some online.And I haven't clay'd my car yet...

OH, and ALWAYS wax in the shade, on a cool to the touch car! That is a MUST! (Otherwise you run the risk of paint swirls and damage and ulcers and crying)

bdg55

Thanks for the link and the info, ahh the love of a shiny black car, the hatred of the smudges!!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Autopia is a great resource. Buddy of mine is one of their Admins.

FWIW, when I prep my car I use the following products and it takes a whole weekend:

1. Pack of microfiber towels2. Meguiars hair and lint extractor3. Meguiars wash mits4. 2-pack of microfiber polishing pads5. 1 pack of Turtle Wax Terry cloth bonnets (I have others as well)6. 1ea 3M compound buffing pad7. 1ea 3M polishing pad8. Lots and lots of Terry cloth towels9. Variable speed buffer10. AUTO GLEM bug and tar remover11. Sonus SFX-1 restorer (similar to Meguiars M84)12. Sonus SFX-2 Enhancer (similar to Meguiars M2)13. Sonus SFX-3 Final Finish (swirl removal step)14. Klasse All-in-one (cleaner/polish)15. Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (similar to Meguiars #7)16. Meguiars Gold Class carnuba wax17. Mothers Back to Black rubber treatment18. Eagle One chrome cleaner19. Meguiars PlastX20. Dawn dishwashing liquid (origional)21. Armor All Cleaner Wipes22. Orbital Buffer23. Mag wheel cleaner23. Blue Coral carpet cleaner24. Simple Green25. Windex26. Satin black plastic paint27. Metallic Silver hi-temp engine paint28. Mothers clay bar kit29. Meguiars aerosol tire shine30. Meguiars spray tire shine31. Armor All spray cleaner32. Armor All (regular)32. Chamois33. Scrubbies34. Scrub brush

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Two words for you....Zaino Bros!!!!!!! They make the best detailing products, period. It's not cheap, but the wax lasts forever and it makes washing really easy after.

1. Wash with dishsoap to remove any old wax and grease. Wash with zaino car wash, dry with a large white 100% cotton towel. 2. Clay the entire car. Takes forever, but it's a crucial step! After done, wash with zaino again, dry.3. Wax time. The zaino wax, when used with ZFX, will go on the entire car. No need to do a section at a time. Remove with a small 100% cotton towel. I put 3 coats on the entire car. To make it really shine, use Z6 between coats...

For the rims, you can't use aluminum polish as they are coated. I just wash and wax.

Tires: After washing the car, most of the dirt should be off the tires. I've found that armor-all wipes are the best thing for keeping the tires shine. The best part is that it won't come of like other products will. Use 1 sheet per tire for best results.

It will take all friggen day, but it's worth it!

G_whizz

Ummm....I HEAVILY disagree with the cotton towel...especially on a black car Joe it will definitely leave swirl marks

(speaking from experience)

I am a firm believer in a top quality lamb skin chamois FTW for drying. Also, when washing, try not to do circles, but instead go back and forth.

I also learned to wash then dry my BLACK car in sections, not all at once. Starting with the roof.

But +1 on all your other product selections Joe

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Zaino is just another sealant, thus why it seems to last so long. FWIW, my detailing was prior to NOPI Nats last year and with regular washes it still shines like new.

It is past time for a wax job so I will probably use 1/2 the products I have listed including a couple coats of Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze to keep a nice shield on the ride.

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

nice ride. I like the color.

ACOUPE - the autopia forum looks pretty good. I'll spend some time to check it out.

zozoka

joe603

G_whizz wrote:Ummm....I HEAVILY disagree with the cotton towel...especially on a black car Joe it will definitely leave swirl marks

(speaking from experience)

I am a firm believer in a top quality lamb skin chamois FTW for drying. Also, when washing, try not to do circles, but instead go back and forth.

I also learned to wash then dry my BLACK car in sections, not all at once. Starting with the roof.

But +1 on all your other product selections Joe
If it's 100% cotton it will not scratch the paint! You also have to be careful not to use the stitching portion of the towel. I don't see how paint color has anything to do with whether or not it causes swirl marks (just easier to see on black) Little circles are not recommended for any portion of the wash/dry/wax steps. I've never had a problem...

Check out Zaino's site for more info

audtatious

Don't forget to remove the tags off the towels too

smockers83
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe

The Mr. Clean AutoDry works beautifully with a good wash mit. I've used it for the past 3 years, haven't dried my car once, and haven't had spots (when used correctly). Just don't use another kind of soap, it won't dry as well and will leave spots...I've tried. It completely eliminates drying, so while you wait for it, you could be working on the interior. For wax, I go with Meguire's cleaner wax then the NXT.

G_whizz

joe603 wrote:
If it's 100% cotton it will not scratch the paint! You also have to be careful not to use the stitching portion of the towel. I don't see how paint color has anything to do with whether or not it causes swirl marks (just easier to see on black) Little circles are not recommended for any portion of the wash/dry/wax steps. I've never had a problem...
That was my point Mr. Joe...because he has a black car, the swirl marks will show up easier.

audtatious

My Majestic Blue is hard enough to keep shiny. I would hate to deal with a black car. I did have a black '78 Cutlass once and for sure it looked great for a day after a wash/wax but after that you could see all the dust and everything else on it.....

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

Zaino here.Also had a black car and used Zaino and 100% all cotton bath towels for washing/polishing/(drying + chaomis) Car had swirl marks down one side when purchased, Zaino swirl remover did great at removing them!

landrumt

SVTCOBRA wrote:Zaino here.Also had a black car and used Zaino and 100% all cotton bath towels for washing/polishing/(drying + chaomis) Car had swirl marks down one side when purchased, Zaino swirl remover did great at removing them!
if its a daily driver, go with zaino AIO. see the website for instructions -you will see you dont need a long list of stuff to have a very impressive shine and protection too.

thechronic
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe

i like Nufinish for wax. and for the headlights, use turtlewax, it gets rid of basically any fog or fog looking stuff that starts getting on your headlights. its nice.

bdg55

Joe,

Do you clay a brand new paint job (aka new car)? I thought claying was more of a deep cleaning activity?

verbal assassin

mothers so far is the best product i have ever used. way better then the NXT crap.

the shine i got on my blk G with nxt was not that great. i switched to mothers after finding an old bottle in the garage and the difference was night and day.

nxt left some oily residue on the black paint. mothers for some reason just shined a lot better.

joe603

bdg55 wrote:Joe,

Do you clay a brand new paint job (aka new car)? I thought claying was more of a deep cleaning activity?
Yes! The clay will remove any contaminants in the paint...The G35 is made in Japan, and I'm sure there's some crap on the paint from the trip. With all the crap removed, the wax/polish will look much better! I've had really good results using Zaino products, but any clay bar should work just fine.

Nica21
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Question:

I referred to the article http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=183170 which lays out a pretty detailed layout of a full step wash/clean. It looks a lot like what I have tried in the past, except that it says to do a > NXT wax BEFORE applying > a coat of polish > and then carunuba wax(step 5 & 6). Is this right? I just have never heard to apply polish on top of a coat of wax. Is this just personal preference or do you get better results on your polish if you put it over a coat of wax?

Im about to do a full treatment of my paint so I was wondering. Im up for trying it if it works, but I want to make sure this wasnt a type-o

Thanks

2003 G35 Coupe Infiniti

I use :Meguiars Deep Crystal Car WashMeguiars ScratchXMeguiars Deep Crystal System PolishMeguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax (liquid)Meguiars NXT Spray WaxMeguiars Quick DetailerMeguiars Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber ProtectantMeguiars Hot Shine High Gloss Tire CoatingMeguiars Hot Rims All Wheel CleanerLexol Leather Cleaner (shampoo)Lexol Leather Conditioner

Nica21
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Hey....any comments/ideas to what I asked about polishing after 1 coat of wax...then applying carnuba?

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

Also, Meguiars Scratch X was the only stuff I could find to get rid of hard water/acid rain spots!!! GREAT STUFF!!! Clay would not do it.

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

I was an avid user of Meguiar's, until a buddy of mine packed to move, and gave me his entire supply/collection of Griot's. I washed/clay bared/paint cleaner/polished/waxed the Maxima before I gave it to my stepson. Their products are absolutely AWESOME!!!

ACoupe

I've been reading RAVE reviews of Collinite 845 Insulator Wax.It's supposed to last a looong time and have excellent beading properties.I'm picking up some Klasse All-In-One for a surface cleanse and then try a topping of the 845...

waxfreak
Car: 07 G35 Sedan

Try turtle wax ice. Used the liquid clay bar and ice polish. I have a black 07 g35 sedan. Came out looking sweet with some hairline scratches gone.

Nadia
Car: G35 Coupe 2004

How often do you guys wax and clay? I just got my car waxed(zymol vintage) and clayed last saturday. I'm more concerned about how often to wax. And if I just do a regular wash or take it to get it washed in between waxings, will it take the wax off?

After claying my car I saw a bunch of little chips in the car I think that was just superficially covered up by the seller. I'm not too concerned about them except for 2 that are rusted. Has anyone fixed these themselves?

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”