Extended warranty - who bought one and at what cost?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Southpaw75

Took delivery of our new Rogue this past weekend and since it will be the wife's car, we plan on keeping it a good long time. (as opposed to me who likes to have something new every 3 years or so)Dealer of course tried to sell us on a warranty at time of signing papers but I like to gather all the info and make a wise decision instead of buying and regretting. His offer was this: $1265 for 5 year/75k miles. He said this was employee pricing (highly unlikely I think). He also had a 7 year/100k for $17xx. We almost bit on the 5 year deal since we did our loan for that long and I totally see us keeping it for a lot longer than that. Dealer said we had until 3k miles to decide on his offer and of course we could purchase one later on at the end of the manufacturers warranty but I imagine it would be much more expensive at that time.So, did anyone here buy an ext. warranty? If so, what term did you get?

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Like all of the other "extras" they try to sell you at the time of the purchase, I think the extended warranty is just a cash grab for the dealership. There is certainly a slight chance that in 5 years you might need it, but the manufacturer's warranty covers all of the major powertrain issues which cost the big bucks - anything additional is highly unlikely but if it does go wrong you can pay for a lot of repairs for the $1500 that you would've spent on the extended warranty. The extended warranty fee is gauranteed, but repairs requiring the coverage are not, so I feel very comfortable not getting extended coverage. I'm also relying on Nissan quality in addition to the security of the manufacturer warranty.

pammy
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Orange Alloy

I have always been against extended warranties of any kind and have never bought one on any car or product....but just purchased one on my new Rogue that I picked up last week. Why? I drive 30k miles a year, and I realized that I'd be out of warranty in about 14 months on my Rogue. I bought a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty for $1499 which brought up my payments by $30 a month. I almost cancelled it several times, and then thought about it this way... If there were two model Rogues on the lot, and the dealer said...they both have the same identical options but this one has a 36k mile warranty, and for $1500 more, this one has a 100k mile warranty, I wouldn't hesitate and I'd buy the model with the bigger warranty....but buying an "extended warranty", always just feels like you fell for something. Pam

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Good point, my perspective on the warranty was based on driving much less than you. If you drive 30,000 miles per year it is a different decision making processes than if you drive 10,000.

crypto1300
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Iridium Graphite Premium Package

My wife and I bought a 7 year, 70,000 mile extended warranty for $2,000, because we only drive about 7,000 - 8,000 miles a year.

We probably paid to much for the warranty, but we got the Rogue 2WD SL with premium package for $22,187. I think $24,187 with a 7 year warranty is not bad. What do you think?

dobby10

I got the 7yr/75k mile Gold Warranty for around 1125.They gave us the book listing the dealer price for warranties and said pick one if you want and add $200 and it is yours.

Orphanedcowboy
Car: Nissan Rogue SL

We bought the 6 yr 100,000 for $1400, I put around 15-20k a yr on a vehicle, and with this being a first yr vehicle, it gives me piece of mind.

RiverRogue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

8 year 96k miles for $1700ish.

When the guy told me the pax seat had a sensor that sensed the weight of the pax and made a decision to turn on/off the airbag, that sold me.

So much electronics on the Rogue, this is the first one I bought because if something goes wrong, $1700 is cheap.

AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

I am totally new at this. Do I need to buy the extended warranty within a certain time frame? Also, are the prices different from each dealership? I've had many bad experiences with the dealership i bought the car. Thanks!

jsellberg
Car: '08 rogue iridium graphite sl awd premium

i got the 5yr 100k mile warranty and i'm not sure how much it was. it only brought my payments up by like 20$/month. considering i financed it for awhile i thought it was worth it.

redroguegal
Car: Nissan Rogue

I got the 5 yr, 60,000 mile Gold Plus for $885. They said I could add more time to it later on and I liked that it included roadside assistance (towing) and rental if the car is in the shop. I bought my Rogue on Memorial Day to get the $500 off and they told me the warranty was on special too, but who knows if that was true. It did seem to cover some things the "bumper to bumper" warranty missed.

Roguemeister

I have never been a fan of extended warranties. Most manufacturer warranties are ample and cover you well. As Consumer Reports states "extended warranties sell costly "peace of mind" for repair nightmares that probably won't occur, according to a survey of more than 8,000 readers in December 2007 by the Consumer Reports National Research Center. We have long advised that extended warranties are a poor deal for almost every product. Now we have the first data showing that this advice applies to most new cars as well."

I like the following illustration on their site advising that extended warranties are not a good investment...

Phil'sFrontier
Car: Nissan Frontier SE kc 4x4

^^^^I would have to agree with that.

Mucasplug
Car: Nissan Rouge

$895.00 for 100k/60 month, Nissan Gold Plan. Our dealer has a different way of doing insurance, they sale them for 200 bucks over cost. This way 90% of buyers purchase the insurance instead of the normal 10%. The dealer makes just as much money and has a much happier customer. Free car rentals etc. My dealer also said since starting this program they have more repeat buyers. Smart dealer in my opinion! Note, the a/c compressor on a Altima cost $1200.00 parts and then they add 4 hours labor. My $895.00 is cheap insurance IMO.

AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

which dealership is that?? Can i call up and purchase it?

philipa_240sx

Meh, extended warranties or service contracts are another way to get more of your money upfront. No wonder it's a multi-billion dollar industry.

jayabobby
Car: Nissan Rogue S 2008

My wife and I bought a 5 year, 60,000 mile extended warranty for $2,000, After reading the post in here, We believe we certainly over paid. didn't we?. Also we paid 21,600/- for S AWD, which was infact above the MSRP. What do you all think?

redroguegal
Car: Nissan Rogue

Wow, more than double what mine cost. I think there must have been a mistake. Was it gold plus?

DoubleDo
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I got the 7yr 75000 mile for $800. This is the second car I bought from them and I use to work there. My first one was 7 75 and it cost me $725 5 years ago, so not a bad deal.

jmbones

What is the factory warranty on the Rogue?

Roguemeister

From Nissan USA website......

"The Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty’s coverage is 36 months/36,000 miles. Powertrain coverage is 5 years/60,000 miles."

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

DoubleDo wrote:I got the 7yr 75000 mile for $800. This is the second car I bought from them and I use to work there. My first one was 7 75 and it cost me $725 5 years ago, so not a bad deal.
That sounds like a good deal I would take that. So just to clarify. The power train is covered for 5yr 60000miles so this would add 2years and/or 1500 miles to the PT warranty, am I correct?

The general coverage is boosted from 3yr 36k to 7yrs/75000. My 2 mile commute means we don'y put a lot of miles on our cars 12k per year more or less so the 7 years is appealing.

Sparky.Watson
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Leather Gotham Gray

I look at an extended warranty as just what it is...insurance. When I insure my Rogue (except where required by law), I'm trying to protect my interest in case of damage. If I get an extended warranty, I'm trying to protect my interest in case of failure. If I buy insurance, am I a "Pushover"? If I pay more for insurance than I claim in damage, was I a ripped off?

Now, with that said, my dealer was asking what I considered to be too much. Now I'm in the market to get one and I probably will. I would rather go with a Nissan warranty than a 3rd party.

So, here's my question, is there a Nissan dealer out there willing to make a "fair" profit on an extended warranty...for very little effort.

lozen13

I have no warranty as I bought the vehicle in the USA and they collude to stop CDN"s from doing that. I decided also on no after market warranty either

solo2

Well the '09 SL AWD finally arrivedPurchased the Gold Plan60 months/75k miles at dealer cost = $735The Gold Plus was 60 months/75k = $845These are the '09 pricing since I have an '09.

NissanServiceWarranty.com
Car: 03 Murano SL - Stock, 06 Murano Modded

No matter who you buy from, buy the NISSAN Service Plan! It will be honored by all dealers! I will gladly answer your questions even if you bought your warranty somewhere else.If anybody has a quote the want me to try and beat, let me know.

Thanks,

Joe

Return to “Rogue Forum”