Exploding Moon Roof

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
kboo74
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg (Former)
2017.5 Nissan Murano SL Tech Pkg) (Former)
2019 Acura RDX A-Spec with Tech Pkg Performance Red

I am officially done with Nissan. On 29 Oct 18 while driving to to work at 0450 on the highway the non moving panel of the Moon roof on my 2017.5 Murano exploded (bought brand new). Luckily the sun shade was closed and I mantained control of the vehicle. After getting the glass replaced with OEM glass through insurance, I found out that this has been an outstanding issue with Nissans Sun/Moon roofs for a while. There is a class action lawsuit working its way through court and over 185 case have been reported NHTA. It has something to do with a coating that is applied to the glass that affects its strength and the fit of the glass in the frame and how thin the glass is to save on weight/gas mileage. This could have been really bad if my daughter and/or wife was in the car with the shade open. Traded the car on 05 Nov 18 for a 2019 Acura RDX a-Spec with Tech Pkg in Performance Red. I just could not live with the possibility of this happening again or driving with the shade constantly closed and not being able to enjoy the Moor Roof. Nissan is doing the usual response of its not our fault and the glass is not covered by warranty. One customer here in my area had hers explode twice in 3 months! Bye Nissan!! Loved my Murano but it had to go! Acura now has my business.

Ken

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Wow... first I've heard of it, but that sounds like an ordeal! I hope your RDX gives you good service with no exploding glass issues.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Maybe the glass maker's issue rather than Nissan but how companies get burned by possibly going to too cheap a supplier. Glass breaks like that due to improper tempering or the way it is fit into the frame, there must be slight allowance for expansion and contraction in use. Kitchen appliances seem to be having troubles like that of late, maybe Chinese glass quality.

Tempered glass is extremely delicate to certain types of stress, the thickness of it really doesn't change that. In fact I could see thicker making it possibly worse.

kboo74

At least I am now out of the vehicle and didn't get hurt or wrecked when it happened. Who ever makes Nissan's glass has some explaining to do and some redesigning. The worst part is this issue is random among their vehicles with no way to predict when it will happen. Hopefully this gets resolved out of court but I doubt it will.

Ken

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Nissans aren't the only ones that have this issue, pretty much every car manufacturer has been experiencing this. Hyundai is leading the pack

Google it

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-saf ... -overhead/

https://www.google.com/search?q=explodi ... e&ie=UTF-8
Last edited by 04pathse on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Wondering where the word SPAM came from there, my word used was 'Home'.

kboo74

Well that's two brands I won't buy in the future. Unless Acura screws up I'll be a long time customer.

Ken

StarRogue

Is this an issue across all their vehicles?

kboo74

From what I have found online its been a problem with any of their vehicles with a non moving section of the panoramic moonroof since around 2008 and a few cases of sunroofs. As stated the rear panel of my moonroof just exploded while driving to work with the sunshade closed. It happens randomly across many models and years.

Ken

Boogie79
Car: Nissan Murano

I registered just to post this. My roof (2015 Platinum) exploded this past May while sitting in traffic, I thought someone shot a shotgun behind me, thank God were at a standstill. Of course the Dealership and Insurance tried to say a rock hit it. I would have believed them if I wasn't on a bridge going 1 MPH along with the rest of the traffic at the time. I even have glass insurance but because it was the stationery glass that exploded, I had to pay the full deductible instead of windshield/sunroof deductible (which was a difference of $450.00). The folks at the dealership acted like this had never happened before :squint: Thank goodness for Geico because now at least the glass is insured for the life of the car, I've taken it in again because they replaced the track but one of the drain lines was disconnected causing mildew. Got it fixed for free and had a free rental.

I also reported on NHTA, what's messed up is I had a Buick Enclave with the moonroof and never had a problem.

kboo74

Sorry to hear about your glass exploding and glad your safe. Do you plan on keeping the vehicle? I also have Geico but I had to only pay $50 to get mine replaced. I initially trhought another driver threw something at my car while trying to pass between me and a tractor trailer, but I was wrong. Geico was like WTF and why would someone do that? I just bypassed the dealer becaused I knew what their response would be. Again I am glad to be rid of the car.

Ken

Return to “Murano Forum”