Expensiev exuast vs cheap dumps

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
jefferson240
Car: soccer, cars

whitch is better an expensive exuast systems or a cheap cut out\dump. the dump bypasses the cat and the stock muffler, but does it provide enough back presure so taht i'm not loosing all my torque, or is it worth it to spend the money on a good exaust sytem that works well. Suggestions?

I H8 UR DSM

good exhaust....a dump would be nice on a turbo car for track use, but you will not want to drive around your car w/ no muffler, you would be sick after 5 minutes from just the noise

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

Yea, remeber having very limited backpressure takes away from your low end torque... the exhuast is the way to go...

PabloHoney

Backpressure is bad bad bad any way you look at it. It's restriction. What you don't want is a an exhaust that gives you an exhaust stream velocity that's too low (using 4" exhaust on a N/A 1.5L would be a good example). You want low back-pressure and high velocity at the same time. I would say go with the exhaust anyway, because it's tuned for the car. Plus, if you take out your cat and muffler, it's gonna be pretty loud I am guessing, and you are just asking for a ticket for no cat (which is pretty expensive).

FrEaK

Dude... backpressure isn't all bad... it is the reason that you dont run oopen pipes on a four cylinder... thats why when you have a larger diameter pipe you get less low end and higher top end... backpressure in small or medium quantities are NOT a bad thing... now matter which way you look at it... trust me...

PabloHoney

Not to be a ****, but you are wrong =) Backpressure isn't what causes power loss with open header. By eliminating backpressure you keep pumping losses low. You get less of a scavenging effect ( basically sucks exhaust out of the combustion chamber by creating a vacuum behind the closed exhaust valve for when the exhaust valve opens on the next cycle ) when you run open header. Open header will NOT create a vacuum as well, thus giving you a low end power loss. Larger diameter pipe gives you lower exhaust velocity which, again, doesn't give you the best scavenging effect.

JRB99

I just ordered the dump pipe off pdm (to replace cat). Do you think I might lose torque with that? I have an HKS exhaust already, so there is a muffler. What is better the dump pipe or a high flow cat?

FrEaK

Yea you'll lose low end...

As for the whole backpressure thing.. whatever i'm wrong.. sue me..

JRB99

I think I might cancel that order then. Where is a good place to go for a hi-flow cat? I saw one on rollhard.com, but is there anywhere else you might recommend?

I H8 UR DSM

ok, i misunderstood. am i the only one that refers to a "dump" pipe as a pipe that dumps the exhaust before the cat? so i guess the question was will a straight pipe instead of your car help, yes.

FrEaK

A straight thru pipe would work fine...

mndrift

i've got a 5zigen fireball catback and its loud as hell so i know if i took out the cat it would be too loud for me to handle as a DD, so if you think you can handle the noise go for it. imo id just get a high flow cat just to keep your car legal...cops are checking for those with mirrors now so keep that in mind...

JRB99

Yeah, I think the hi flow cat would be a better way to go. I saw them on rollhard.com for not a whole lot more than the dump pipe on PDM. Anywhere else I should look?

trpower7

Catco makes a decent cat for our cars, try http://www.summit-racing.com or just search the internet. As far as exhaust goes the low end losses are MINIMAL to say the most with a 5-speed, you are past that area of the powerband very quickly. And you don't want to have to change the whole thing again in a year or two when you have to go turbo ;). I am a huge fan of the 3-inch muffler shop made crush bent custom exhaust to a huge fart can muffler in the back. Sounds deep, costs cheap. Get stainless steel pipes, no rust to be seen, does the EXACT same thing as an N1 or whatever you pay $500 for and this kind runs you maybe $175. But that's just my .02.......

Daunttless

Well, not EXACTLY the same, generally the catback systems from companies like Apexi come with a particle paint for heat resistance, and are fully mandrel bent for the smoothest flow possible. A crush bent won't flow as well, nor with it have the particle paint or anything, but it is significantly cheaper. Just depends on what route you wanna go. : )

FrEaK

I'm a high quality type... I'd rather wait a long time before having to replace parts...

trpower7

yes, cheap, more money for parts that will make more of a difference.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”